Uneven wear of breakpads? '19 Signature

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal Metallic
Took my car in today to get its 28,000km service done, and they reported the front pads were at 11mm and the rears at 7mm.

that struck me as being odd, as I figured the front brakes would be utilized heavier than the rear brakes?

Does this seem odd to anyone else at all?

Thanks!

These cars do have a rear brake bias, I believe to prevent nose dive while braking. It's a common "quirk" in modern Mazdas, not sure if it applies to other manufacturers.

Took my car in today to get its 28,000km service done, and they reported the front pads were at 11mm and the rears at 7mm.

that struck me as being odd, as I figured the front brakes would be utilized heavier than the rear brakes?

Does this seem odd to anyone else at all?

Thanks!
It is odd but they say it's the new 'normal'.

These cars do have a rear brake bias, I believe to prevent nose dive while braking. It's a common "quirk" in modern Mazdas, not sure if it applies to other manufacturers.
FWIW: my lovely bride drives a 2013 Toyota Venza which definitely has rear brake bias to prevent the nose diving when braking. I replaced the rear brake pads WAY before the front pads needed replacement.

It is odd but they say it's the new 'normal'.
Yes almost every modern vehicle has rear brake bias mainly for light braking situation. Hence most people will experience the need of new rear brake pads.

Yes almost every modern vehicle has rear brake bias mainly for light braking situation. Hence most people will experience the need of new rear brake pads.
The rear brake bias makes sense, for braking that is gradual slowing down. But why don't they then size the rear pads comparably to the fronts?

I just opened my brake kit and I was surprised to see the rear pads are so tiny. They're about half the size of the front pads. No wonder they wear out faster.

This is actually the new norm for some people. I first experienced this on a new 2012 Accord. Later my 2016 Mazda6.

The rear brake bias makes sense, for braking that is gradual slowing down. But why don't they then size the rear pads comparably to the fronts?

I just opened my brake kit and I was surprised to see the rear pads are so tiny. They're about half the size of the front pads. No wonder they wear out faster.
Yes, size does matter!

This is actually the new norm for some people. I first experienced this on a new 2012 Accord. Later my 2016 Mazda6.
The first I experienced the rear pads worn out faster than the front was my 2001.5 VW Passat GLX 2.8L V6 5-speed. It needed new pads on rear at 45K miles while the front still had at least 70% pads left. At the time I blamed it on smaller sized pads which are about half the size of the front pads. By contrast, I replaced the factory rear brakes on my 1998 Honda CR-V EX AWD at 182K miles and 20+ years, granted they’re drum brakes, but the brake shoes still have some serviceable life left; whereas the front pads have been replaced 3 times.

Very true. If you google it, you'll find lots of information on how it works and why manufacturers have it set up that way.
Any car I've owned with 4 wheel disc brakes have had the rears wear out first.

Back