2017~2024 Undocumented and Squirrelly Door Lock Features - 2020 CX-5 Touring AWD

I don’t know if it’s common knowledge but in canada we have digital manuals which i find is easier to navigate and do searches in. It is not just a pdf version.

In the USA
https://www.mazdausa.com/static/manuals/2019/cx5/visual.html
Mazda even breaks out the infotainment into a separate resource:

I don't know what is squirrelly about it. If you lock the doors with the fob, button on the inside armrest, manually with the buttons on each interior door panel, or with the button on the driver's or passenger's side exterior handles, the hatch is also locked. If you don't have the fob on your person you cannot unlock the hatch from the outside.

I generally drive with all doors locked except for the driver's door. When I exit the vehicle I thumb the button on the inside door panel to the locked position. When I return to the vehicle I press the exterior lock/unlock button once to unlock only the driver's door or twice to unlock all doors if I have passengers. If all doors are unlocked you don't need a fob to open the hatch.

For example if only the driver's door is unlocked, as it usually is when parked in my garage, if I don't have the fob on my person and want to open the hatch for any reason, I have to open the driver's door and hit the electric unlock button on the armrest which then unlocks ALL doors including the hatch.

I have disabled the auto lock function and the auto lock upon walk away features. I know what I am doing and what state of lock or unlock my doors are.

@HardRightEdg A suggestion.. could you take a video of the "squirrelly behaviour" you're describing? It can sometimes be difficult to read and interpret something, so a video showing the issue at hand might be more illuminating. You can film a short 20-30s video on your cellphone and upload it directly to the website using the "Attach files" button below the Reply text box.

I think his explanation is pretty straightforward:

Expectation: Liftgate has a lock/unlock feature alongside the doors, and button on liftgate is used to activate liftgate only, not to lock or unlock it. A locked liftgate should require unlocking (by unlocking the doors, I suppose) prior to being allowed to activate it.

Reality: Liftgate is *always* locked when closed. Pushing the button allows the liftgate open in the following cases
  1. Doors are unlocked
  2. Doors are locked but fob is within proximity of liftgate
The confusing part for OP is that the liftgate does not have a true 'unlocked' state; only a state where it allows the rear button to operate it. Doors locked with no key fob present means you are not allowed to operate liftgate.

This isn't confusing to me because it's the exact same behavior on my Ford Focus. My previous CUV, however, a CR-V without power liftgate, had a standard door handle on the liftgate and it functioned alongside the door lock/unlock mechanism. Doors (and hence, liftgate) *had* to be unlocked in order to open it.

@HardRightEdg A suggestion.. could you take a video of the "squirrelly behaviour" you're describing? It can sometimes be difficult to read and interpret something, so a video showing the issue at hand might be more illuminating. You can film a short 20-30s video on your cellphone and upload it directly to the website using the "Attach files" button below the Reply text box.
It's described in the last paragraph of the OP. I cannot now recreate it. Chalk it up to "user error" on my part.

I don’t know if it’s common knowledge but in canada we have digital manuals which i find is easier to navigate and do searches in. It is not just a pdf version.
In the USA
https://www.mazdausa.com/static/manuals/2019/cx5/visual.html
Mazda even breaks out the infotainment into a separate resource:
These posts got me looking for a PDF version of the manual.

I found one at this web site:

If interested, click the download button, not the open button. Note that it is a 98 MB file if that matters.

I like having a PDF version for word searches. Relating to an earlier exchange above, a PDF word seach using the term "battery saver" identifies only one instance, the one identified in bsaman's post #18 above. A seach on the term "battery" yields over 200 instances which I could scan through pretty quickly. I didn't see any similarly described saver function by another name. I did note warnings that the radio and headlights should not be kept on for extended periods without the engine running lest the battery run down.

In conclusion, it appears the battery saver's sole function is to turn off interior lights when the igntion is off. While I inadvertently tested it for a door ajar (it works for that), the description suggests it applies to interior lights manually turned on and left on.

Has anyone experienced this fast beeping sound when first starting their 2020 CX-9? It is not the sensor going off because of being too close to something. I know that because both sounds went off at the same time this morning when I was a bit close to something. This fast beep goes on for 3-5 minutes. Has only happened the first time I start it in the morning, but today was the third day.

Attachments

• IMG_3270.mov
    6.4 MB
On two occasions I have looked out the window and seen my hatch opened up. The fob is very sensitive and if I keep it in my pocket it unlocks the car doors or opens the hatch. Is there any cover I could put over the fob to protect it from doing this? There should be a button that locks the fob so that the buttons don't work. Also, it seems like it is made of much cheaper plastic than all my previous fobs. Disappointing!

Has anyone experienced this fast beeping sound when first starting their 2020 CX-9? It is not the sensor going off because of being too close to something. I know that because both sounds went off at the same time this morning when I was a bit close to something. This fast beep goes on for 3-5 minutes. Has only happened the first time I start it in the morning, but today was the third day.

I've never heard that beep tone before. Do you see any warnings displayed on the instrument cluster or in the infotainment system? I'd take it to a dealer to diagnose right away.

On two occasions I have looked out the window and seen my hatch opened up. The fob is very sensitive and if I keep it in my pocket it unlocks the car doors or opens the hatch. Is there any cover I could put over the fob to protect it from doing this? There should be a button that locks the fob so that the buttons don't work. Also, it seems like it is made of much cheaper plastic than all my previous fobs. Disappointing!

There are quite a few different key fob covers available online. Everything from leather to silicone. Just be sure to buy one that is specifically made for your fob style.

I've never heard that beep tone before. Do you see any warnings displayed on the instrument cluster or in the infotainment system? I'd take it to a dealer to diagnose right away.

There are quite a few different key fob covers available online. Everything from leather to silicone. Just be sure to buy one that is specifically made for your fob style.
I have an appointment next week to get the strut problem fixed. The part came in! I will show them the video at that time. There are no warnings lights on when the beeping happens.

I checked for a key fob cover and couldn't find any on Amazon for the new key fob design. I will keep checking.
Thanks for your reply.

I have an appointment next week to get the strut problem fixed. The part came in! I will show them the video at that time. There are no warnings lights on when the beeping happens.

I checked for a key fob cover and couldn't find any on Amazon for the new key fob design. I will keep checking.
Thanks for your reply.

Sorry, I forgot that there was a new design. I did find these ones:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B087MYCNZ7/

I personally have a fob cover similar to the one in the last link for my older-style fob, and it's held up very well over the past few years.

Reading through this thread, it seems to me that the hatch operates more like a trunk lid on a sedan, than a fifth door.
Does the CX-5 key fob have a separate button for the "trunk" lid, like I have on my 6?
Locking the doors on my car doesn't affect my trunk lid, and I would imagine locking/unlocking the doors on a CX-5 only affects the four side doors and not the hatch.
I can open my trunk if I walk up to it with my fob in my pocket just by pressing the button under the lid.
Sounds like the same process on the CX-5.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but that's how I see it from reading all the posts.
Cheers.

To stop my fob from getting bumped and opening the hatch, I took it apart, one step more than changing the battery and cut off the plastic probe on the back of the hatch opening button. I never used it anyway, always press the button on the hatch...

To stop my fob from getting bumped and opening the hatch, I took it apart, one step more than changing the battery and cut off the plastic probe on the back of the hatch opening button. I never used it anyway, always press the button on the hatch...
That is good advice. I am going to do that to my fobs. I never use the fob to open the hatch either. THANKS!

I think the dealer figured out my issue with the beeping. We think it is coming from the camera I have on the windshield. It has only happened when the car is cold, so I think that was the issue. When the camera warms up the beeping stops. Next time it happens I will shut the camera off and see if the beeping stops.

Back