Ugh...Water Pump Time

kcbhiw

What "Lifestyle"?
Contributor
:
64 Valves, 16 Cylinders, 7.2L, 622 HP
Well, it's either the water pump or the timing belt tensioner/idler pulley. Either way, I have to take half the engine apart (it seems like it anyway). There's a bit of a whine coming from that area. Heh, it's gotten so loud that it sounds like a super charger under throttle (kind of cool). Anyway, since it'll be apart, I'll be replacing all three anyway as well as the timing belt and cam and crank seals. I'm just not looking forward to doing the work since the car has the short nose crank (which seems to be fine as of now) and I hate to mess with a good thing. Oh well, just thought I'd share my upcoming weekend project, heh.

I disagree. They leak quite enthusiastically. I can provide photos of an engine with 100,000 miles that's been leaking since about 80,000. Yuk. We've got a pallet full of old engines in the shop right now and I'd say that half of them have leaky front seals.

Removing the crank bolt and pulley is a good idea on a shortnose because it will allow you to inspect and possibly repair the part.

Keith

I disagree. They leak quite enthusiastically. I can provide photos of an engine with 100,000 miles that's been leaking since about 80,000. Yuk. We've got a pallet full of old engines in the shop right now and I'd say that half of them have leaky front seals.

Removing the crank bolt and pulley is a good idea on a shortnose because it will allow you to inspect and possibly repair the part.

Keith

I think mine is indeed leaking. There's a bunch of sludge down there from who knows where. I figure I might as well do all of the preventative maintenance while it's apart anyway. No sense in doing it twice. However, I'm a bit hesitant to spening the money since I'll be putting a fresh engine in there within the next year. I just need to get it through the rest of this season though. (rockon)

Back