Two year extended warranty worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Other than Unobtanium, I have not seen anyone else post about failed mirrors. It's really interesting and I have to wonder what the reason is his particular car has so many issues with the mirrors. My '19 is at 14k and haven't had a single issue so far. Mine is leased so not really concerned. They will be covered for the entire 3yrs I have the car by the factory 3/36 warranty..
The dealership I go to says they are seeing them in fair amount. It's definitely an issue.

Thanks to all for your responses. I purchased my vehicle (2020 GT CX5) from a local Mazda dealer on Long Island, but their Finance person advised that they did not carry the Mazda Extended products (they carried Zurich). I shopped other dealers for quotes but it made it clear that 1- I was shopping around; and 2- did not want a third party product. These are the numbers (all Platinum with zero deductible) I eventually worked from. I ultimately chose the 8 year 125k. Just as an FYI - the Agreement contains the following language: ADMINISTRATOR MEANS MAZDA PROTECTION PRODUCTS, EXCEPT IN FLORIDA, WHERE IT MEANS TOYOTA MOTOR INSURANCE COMPANY... My warranty dealer was Ryan Doheny from Smith Haven Mazda in St. James, NY
7yr 100k miles 1295 plus tax
8yr 125k miles 1695 plus tax
9yr 125k miles 1995 plus tax
10yr 125k miles 2095 plus tax

Thanks to all for your responses. I purchased my vehicle (2020 GT CX5) from a local Mazda dealer on Long Island, but their Finance person advised that they did not carry the Mazda Extended products (they carried Zurich). I shopped other dealers for quotes but it made it clear that 1- I was shopping around; and 2- did not want a third party product. These are the numbers (all Platinum with zero deductible) I eventually worked from. I ultimately chose the 8 year 125k. Just as an FYI - the Agreement contains the following language: ADMINISTRATOR MEANS MAZDA PROTECTION PRODUCTS, EXCEPT IN FLORIDA, WHERE IT MEANS TOYOTA MOTOR INSURANCE COMPANY... My warranty dealer was Ryan Doheny from Smith Haven Mazda in St. James, NY
7yr 100k miles 1295 plus tax
8yr 125k miles 1695 plus tax
9yr 125k miles 1995 plus tax
10yr 125k miles 2095 plus tax

Thank you. Finally a response with some specifics. I started a thread a while back looking for specific prices and dealers name but it also devolved in to a discussion of value And yes, Mazda no longer has their MEC - Mazda Extended Confidence, it is now part of Toyota Finance and as you mentioned is sold under the umbrella of Mazda Protection Products. This is a great reference to take to your local, or any dealer.

As an aside, the web page only has general info and says to see the contract for specifics but I can't find one anywhere.

Thank you. Finally a response with some specifics. I started a thread a while back looking for specific prices and dealers name but it also devolved in to a discussion of value And yes, Mazda no longer has their MEC - Mazda Extended Confidence, it is now part of Toyota Finance and as you mentioned is sold under the umbrella of Mazda Protection Products. This is a great reference to take to your local, or any dealer.

As an aside, the web page only has general info and says to see the contract for specifics but I can't find one anywhere.
I have a copy that I am happy to send - see attached. It is missing page 1, which is just the contract page with my personal information. As an FYI, my salesman actually had to go looking for this himself

Attachments

• MAZDAVSA-page 1 contract-deleted.pdf
    5.2 MB · Views: 182
I have a copy that I am happy to send - see attached.
I'm curious about something...
Did you review the Coverage, Exclusions, and Conditions sections in the attached contract before buying the warranty?

I wouldn't feel comfortable forking over ~$2000 for a warranty with so many loopholes/requirements/conditions/qualifiers.

There must be a Finance Guy at a random dealer that is willing to sell the extended warranties at very close to cost. I am told they make money two ways. A percentage of the profit over cost and second they get a SPIFF for the number of warranties sold. I am looking for the guy that wants the SPIFF and sell on volume. Come on Finance guy/gal speak up:)

I'm curious about something...
Did you review the Coverage, Exclusions, and Conditions sections in the attached contract before buying the warranty?

I wouldn't feel comfortable forking over ~$2000 for a warranty with so many loopholes/requirements/conditions/qualifiers.
On page 2 you see that the platinum is an exclusionary service agreement. That's the kind you want, where it says everything is covered except for what is specifically excluded. I'm okay with fabric, trim, and wear part being excluded. Nor am I expecting them to cover me if I am using my car for commercial purposes

On page 2 you see that the platinum is an exclusionary service agreement. I'm okay with fabric, trim, and wear part being excluded. Nor am I expecting them to cover me if I am using my car for commercial purposes.
You're skipping several relevant items that aren't covered...
- Belts, fluids, glass, hoses, heating hoses/lines/tubes, light assemblies/housings, light bulbs (including LEDs), structural framework and welds, rust/corrosion, vacuum hoses/lines/tubes, weatherstripping, wheels/rims.

You are also missing all of the loopholes to keep from paying out a claim.
They can deny coverage if you...
- lose a single receipt, for any maintenance or parts purchased.
- don't have sufficient documentation that say a CV boot was inspected at xx miles.
- installed an aftermarket item (wheels, skid plate, oil filter, ect).
- did not bring your vehicle to the selling dealer for repairs.
- don't notice or pull over fast enough when a failure occurs.
- they decide that previous repairs/maintenance were done "improperly"

Additionally, the warranty does not cover...
- damage caused by a non-covered component (so if a coolant hose cracks, antifreeze leaks out, causing damage to the engine, you're out of luck).
- damage of covered part, caused by the failure of a covered part, if you happen to drive your vehicle 1 mile too far after the failure.
- a covered component that has not yet fully failed, but has been recommended by the dealership to be replaced.
Picture1.png

I'm curious if the people buying these warranties actually read this fine print.
How many more exclusions/conditions would need to be in the warranty before you decided it wasn't worth it?

Given all of the loopholes and non-covered items, wouldn't you be far better off keeping the $2000 in a saving account, and paying for any potential repairs out of pocket?

Just this one line item is enough to turn me off...
"You MUST take Your Covered Vehicle to Your Selling Dealer for all repairs covered under this agreement. If this is not possible, You must contact..."

Nowhere does it say you must bring it to the selling dealer for repairs. So once you miss one point there's really no need to discuss the rest of the detail of your concerns

Nowhere does it say you must bring it to the selling dealer for repairs. So once you miss one point there's really no need to discuss the rest of the detail of your concerns
It ABSOLUTELY says that.
Item K under CONDITIONS TO COVERAGE...
Capture.PNG

It looks like you didn't read the fine print very carefully.
Like I said, it doesn't seem like extended warranty buyers actually understand all of the conditions and exclusions.

It ABSOLUTELY says that.
Item K under CONDITIONS TO COVERAGE...
View attachment 228668

It looks like you didn't read the fine print very carefully.
Like I said, it doesn't seem like extended warranty buyers actually understand all of the conditions and exclusions.

No, it looks like you didn't read the fine print "if this is not possible" Which would include any out of town travel. Otherwise of course I'm taking it to my dealer.

No, it looks like you didn't read the fine print "if this is not possible"
You literally said...
" Nowhere does it say you must bring it to the selling dealer for repairs."

And the contract literally states, verbatim...
"You MUST take Your Covered Vehicle to Your Selling Dealer for all repairs covered under this agreement."

If I had one of these agreements I'd have more stress about trying to get them to provide their benefit if I needed it, than I would about actually having a failure of the vehicle.

If my car has a problem, I'd like to be free to address it in the manner that is most expedient, convenient, and effective for me.

btw, even for 3/36 warranty the dealers have to get approvals under certain conditions. So I dont see anything troubling with the contract docs.
You either bring it to your dealer or the next dealer you go calls for approval on repairs. There are covered items and there are items not covered. Its simple.
In addition you get a rental and in some cases lodging is paid, up to 500 total for the whole contract duration.
and of course you gotta keep receipts that you changed oil. Its the owner responsibility you to maintain the car, oil changes filters, etc.
At the end of the day its insurance. You may never use it. Nobody is forcing one to have it. Its a choice.
Go check how much does it cost to change the heater core or the AC compressor.
I do agree its a bit restrictive though vs other manufacturers extended warranties.

Last edited:
You either bring it to your dealer or the next dealer you go calls for approval on repairs. There are covered items and there are items not covered. Its simple.
Don't argue with Bluegrass. He says you MUST bring it to the SELLING DEALER. Apparently he's taking more time to read the 13 Pages than I have. Hehe

So I dont see anything troubling with the contract docs.
You don't see a single red flag in the sections I highlighted in post #51?
If not, then you are the ideal candidate for this type of extended warranty.

You either bring it to your dealer or the next dealer you go calls for approval on repairs.
That is not what the contract says.
"Your dealer" is not the dealership you bought the car from, it's the dealership you bought the warranty from. And it doesn't say the dealer "calls for approvals on repairs."
The contract states that if you don't bring it to the dealer who sold you the warranty, that YOU must call the administrator first.

There are covered items and there are items not covered. Its simple.
Actually, it is not that simple. The contract spells out several specific instances when a "covered item" would actually NOT be covered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back