Turbo Worth 37% Increase In $$$ - Lease Question

To me, it is worth it to own the turbo. I was in a 2018 cx5 gt tech, for 3 days until we finalized the deal on my 2019 gt-r. I wouldnt buy a non turbo cx5, period.

Agreed, the 2019 GT I had for a loaner was sluggish as hell.

I had exactly the same experience when I leased my GT in June. I calculated what the lease rate should be for the GTR based on the current lease offers for the GT FWD. I was offered a GT premium FWD for $350/mth (taxes included) 36mths/12k yr. I really wanted a GTR and by my calculations it should have been around $393/mth at a proportionate cost to the GT we were working on. They came back at $410/mth initially, but when I went into finalize the deal, I was told they miscalculated and the best they could do was $438/mth. I couldn't justify the extra cost. Went with the GT. I really liked the GTR and the power was fun, but in the end I have been happy with the GT. Could it be quicker? Yes. Am I sorry I didn't spend the extra money? Nope. I think I will try to find a GTR to buy rather than lease at the end of 2020. I believe GTR's will always be dogs to lease as the production numbers just aren't high enough so they don't incentivize them. As you said, a CX-9 will lease much better if you need the turbo(of course it won't have the lower weight of the CX5 so the performance isn't the same.)

I believe GTR's will always be dogs to lease as the production numbers just aren't high enough so they don't incentivize them.

There's another thread here discussing the lack of 2020 Reserve and Signature availability. I was on a Mazda dealer's YouTube site and posted a comment asking about this after looking at his website and seeing only (1) Reserve and (0) Signatures listed. He told me that Mazda was allocating them based upon each dealer's 2019 sales.

The dealer I bought my Reserve from has 3 locations: 1 in Virginia and 2 in North Carolina. Between the 3 locations, they have (64) CX-5s in stock, with only (1) Reserve and (0) Signatures. Lots of folks have remarked that their dealers have none.

If what the guy told me is true, that's one heck of a production ratio.

Strange about the shortage of 2020 turbos. When I bought my '19 CX5 Sig back in May, the only AWD CX5s I could find were GTRs and Sigs. Seemed to be several to choose from at all the local dealerships. Anyway, since the #1 feature I required was AWD, that meant I was getting a turbo. I tried hiding my grins from the wife ;)

Strange about the shortage of 2020 turbos. When I bought my '19 CX5 Sig back in May, the only AWD CX5s I could find were GTRs and Sigs. Seemed to be several to choose from at all the local dealerships. Anyway, since the #1 feature I required was AWD, that meant I was getting a turbo. I tried hiding my grins from the wife ;)

This seems to verify what that dealer in Illinois told me: The naturally aspirated CX-5s were greatly outselling the turbos, which is why you could only find turbos in stock. Inventory levels for 2020 reflect actual sales in 2019.

The "shortage" we're all seeing is not really a shortage as far as the market is concerned...it's merely inventory levels that reflect actual demand, which is not equally distributed across all trims.

This was posted under Availabilty of 2020 Turbo and I think answers your question....the dealer discount on the Reserve is lower than the discount on the GT based on inventory.

Attachments

• lease.png
    lease.png
    84.6 KB · Views: 121
This was posted under Availabilty of 2020 Turbo and I think answers your question....the dealer discount on the Reserve is lower than the discount on the GT based on inventory.

Unless I missed something in that post, chickdr said he "suspects" the discounts are different.

What he's saying is "The lease rates are different; therefore, different discounts might be driving it."

He could be right. But it's still just an assumption.

Unless I missed something in that post, chickdr said he "suspects" the discounts are different.

What he's saying is "The lease rates are different; therefore, different discounts might be driving it."

He could be right. But it's still just an assumption.

One note to add, payments listed without FWD/AWD, or 10, 12, or 15,000 miles a year aren't very useful, if you're trying to compare prices.

Depends on what you want out of a car. The turbo is fun and practical when we’re driving on the mountain passes. I was so frustrated driving up to tahoe in our 2014 crv. Mileage is significantly less but I love the drivability of the vehicle. If you like driving, I think it’s worth it. If you’re looking for the most practical transport, then no. Also, if you live in cold weather, you should look into loss of boost under 20 degrees.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually ended up getting an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti. I was able to negotiate a deal on it that put the lease price between the naturally aspirated CX-5 and Turbo CX-5. It is an incredibly impressive machine and drives like an absolute dream! It will be a nice compliment to our CX-9.

Cue the "good thing you have a CX-9 to drive around when the Stelvio is in the shop" jokes ;)

Nice looking car.

If I already had a CX-9, I'd get a drive like this before getting another SUV.

I had a friend who loved the A.R. brand and I don't recall her car being in the shop an extended amount of time.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I actually ended up getting an Alfa Romeo Stelvio Ti. I was able to negotiate a deal on it that put the lease price between the naturally aspirated CX-5 and Turbo CX-5. It is an incredibly impressive machine and drives like an absolute dream! It will be a nice compliment to our CX-9.

Cue the "good thing you have a CX-9 to drive around when the Stelvio is in the shop" jokes ;)

That is surprising that you were able to lease that for less than a turbo CX-5. We need numbers, how much down and how many miles per year? What's your monthly cost on that bad boy?

The following figures are for 10K miles per year. Add approximately $10 per month for 12K miles.
For the GT-R the lowest 0 down 0 due at signing lease I could get from 7 dealers locally was $480 per month including our high 10.4% taxes (everything rolled into the monthly, including 1st year tabs, licensing, etc).
I got the Stelvio for $448 per month including taxes, 0 down 0 due at signing. The Stelvio had an MSRP $13K more than the GT-R. I could not pass up an opportunity like this and am thrilled with the car.
The general rule of thumb in the LeaseHacker community is anything below 1% of MSRP per month is a good deal. If you can get it below 1% including tax then it's a great deal. Of course there are exceptions to this, but that's the general rule of thumb.
The GT-R and Signature lease very poorly due to their high money factor and lower residuals. Whereas the Grand Touring leases quite well, I could've gotten one of those for $360 per month including taxes.

Last edited:
Back