Turbo Worth 37% Increase In $$$ - Lease Question

I am strongly debating whether to go with the Grand Touring or Reserve (turbo) for a lease. The price difference on the lease between these two is substantial - approximately 37% higher per month for the Reserve (approx. $125 more) due to the lower residual value, higher money factor, and no incentives. For those that have owned both or have driven both, I would love to hear your opinions on how these compare and if its really worth that big of a jump in price in this instance since we are leasing.

Backstory - We previously leased a 16.5 CX-5 for my wife, just upgraded her to CX-9 GT lease and we are both really happy with the vehicle and value on the cost of the lease (LeaseHackr worthy). I just sold my old BMW 3 series and have settled on leasing a 19 CX-5.

Thanks for your insight!

So educate me, please.

What are the "lower residual value" and "higher money values" on the Reserve ?
-Does the leasing company set the depreciation higher on the Reserve?
-Are they charging you different rates?

Now to answer your question:
Go test drive both and then come back and tell us about the Reserve you leased ;)

To me, it is worth it to own the turbo. I was in a 2018 cx5 gt tech, for 3 days until we finalized the deal on my 2019 gt-r. I wouldnt buy a non turbo cx5, period.

I am strongly debating whether to go with the Grand Touring or Reserve (turbo) for a lease. The price difference on the lease between these two is substantial - approximately 37% higher per month for the Reserve (approx. $125 more) due to the lower residual value, higher money factor, and no incentives. For those that have owned both or have driven both, I would love to hear your opinions on how these compare and if its really worth that big of a jump in price in this instance since we are leasing.

Backstory - We previously leased a 16.5 CX-5 for my wife, just upgraded her to CX-9 GT lease and we are both really happy with the vehicle and value on the cost of the lease (LeaseHackr worthy). I just sold my old BMW 3 series and have settled on leasing a 19 CX-5.

Thanks for your insight!

Make sure you also check out the all new CX-30, since you already have a good sized CUV with the CX-9 GT.(headbang)

The turbo is definitely better, and I think worth it on conventionally financed loans where the difference between a GT and GTR is much less than $125, but that much differential in a monthly payment would make me pause. At some point it isn*t worth it, but I suspect they are overestimating the depreciation on the turbo and ripping you off to make themselves more money.

We have a Signature...love the turbo. Another way to look at the numbers.....
MSRP difference between GT AWD and Reserve is $3,425 Finance at 3% for 36 months additional payment $100 per month

MSRP difference between GT FWD and Reserve is $4,835 Finance at 3% for 36 months additional payment $141 per month

If the have low residual value...doesn't that mean you could buy car for that value and resell yourself if is really low?

Consider buying with .9% interest rate from Mazda

Contact US Bank about a lease and then you would get the $1,500 incentive from Mazda.

I wonder if a lease on a 2020 would be more favorable since the 2019 has a year's depreciation factored into the numbers?

Last edited:
Make sure you also check out the all new CX-30, since you already have a good sized CUV with the CX-9 GT.(headbang)

I think this is a good suggestion. Depending upon what you are going to use the car for, a CX-30 could be better than the CX-5.

I think this is a good suggestion. Depending upon what you are going to use the car for, a CX-30 could be better than the CX-5.

I was thinking this because of the previous vehicle was a BMW 3 series, and was unsure if needed the turbo power.

The CX-30 would give the car like handling, the desired ground clearance, and plenty of power as it is the same base 2.5 motor, just on a lighter platform.

My last vehicle had a payment in the mid 700s. My goal with this vehicle was to have a safe, reliable vehicle with a comfortable and quiet interior, and with a substantially lower payment. I went with the Sport AWD with the activsense package, factory hitch, Nav SD card ($35), and Carplay module ($300). Happy with the 17" wheels and tires, considering upgrading to lightweight 16" alloys if I buy out the car (16" Enkei RPF1s are only 13.5lbs each). My payment is 335/month now with 15,000 miles per year.

I'd like to have a turbo model, but my payment (with minimal down payment) would be in the 500s again.

Overall I am very happy with my CX-5 lease so far, and I think you will be as well.

Thanks for the replies and insights everyone. For those that asked, the residual value on the lease for a GT is 59% and on the GT-R it's 56%. The money factor (ie. annual percentage rate) is also much higher on the lease for the GT-R - .0069 vs .00001 (1.66% APR vs .02% APR). Also, Mazda has $660 in lease cash for the GT and none for the GT-R, these differences along with the higher sales price creates the large 37% difference in monthly payment. Note, these figures are for 2019's and are for my region locally in Washington state. These figures can differ (and often do) in different markets around the country.

The CX-30 is interesting, but not for me. It seems silly to spend more on a CX-5 GT-R than on a CX-9 GT, the CX-9 is just so much more "car", although the Turbo is awfully tempting :)

For those that asked, the residual value on the lease for a GT is 59% and on the GT-R it's 56%. The money factor (ie. annual percentage rate) is also much higher on the lease for the GT-R - .0069 vs .00001 (1.66% APR vs .02% APR).

Man, they sure are pushing the GTs (sales for the Reserves must be strong).
That interest rate for the Reserve is over 80x what they're charging for the GT
(omg)

I wonder what the thought process is on the difference on residual values.
There is no resale history for used Reserves...perhaps they're hedging that risk a bit.

If you like the turbo, try to get them to give you a better deal on it. The beauty of leasing is you don't have to worry about the car's longevity.

Thanks for the replies and insights everyone. For those that asked, the residual value on the lease for a GT is 59% and on the GT-R it's 56%. The money factor (ie. annual percentage rate) is also much higher on the lease for the GT-R - .0069 vs .00001 (1.66% APR vs .02% APR). Also, Mazda has $660 in lease cash for the GT and none for the GT-R, these differences along with the higher sales price creates the large 37% difference in monthly payment. Note, these figures are for 2019's and are for my region locally in Washington state. These figures can differ (and often do) in different markets around the country.

The CX-30 is interesting, but not for me. It seems silly to spend more on a CX-5 GT-R than on a CX-9 GT, the CX-9 is just so much more "car", although the Turbo is awfully tempting :)

A used rav4 2010 or so is a killer money saving move. I'd suggest that.

A used rav4 2010 or so is a killer money saving move. I'd suggest that.

I looked at 2011 Vintage RX 350s. You're at $15,000 or more for a nice AWD one with under 100,000 miles, and it has no AEB system whatsoever. And that is when a lot of major service is due.

It's hard to justify spending that much on something without modern safety features, specifically the AEB.

I think the CX is the better buy.

Back