2016~2023 Turbo problems

Our new to us 2016 has developed a major “sucking” sound when you give it much throttle or it’s under much load. I’m assuming It’s as the turbo starts to spool up. Not sure if it’s the turbo, intake noise, other? At that point the sucking noise builds, and the car hesitates/jerks. Runs fine outside of that. It was giving a MAF “Low” sensor code, but I think that’s a symptom, not issue.

Car idles/revs fine, and I can’t hear any unusual sounds. ideas? If we can nurse it home in manual Lower gears and and deal with it later great! If that’s a bad idea and I’m going to do major damage, I’m have to try to find something locally.

I could try to record the sound if that would help.

long story: we’re 10 hours from home and have 6 people with a rocket box and 4 bikes going back with us from Idaho to western WA. I’m handy, but know nothing about this car/engine and have no tools with me. Thought I might be able to find a local shop to take a look if I’m going to break expensive things. Closest Mazda dealer is 4 hours round trip and closed when we’re heading back.

I would say you have a leak in your intake piping to your turbo, or a pipe has come off altogether. I had a pipe come off from the intercooler on a VW turbo before and it acted the same way you describe your CX9 acting.
In my case it was a clamp that wasn't installed correctly.

It COULD be an easy fix. I would have a local shop look at it if possible ASAP as you could be sucking unfiltered air into your engine/turbo, which isn't good!

Maybe a loose connection in the air intake piping somewhere? Normally you wouldn't hear the sucking sound on the OEM intake as it's designed to be quiet.

These instructions are for the installation of an aftermarket air intake, but they provide some decent pictures of the OEM intake. You should be able to get a good idea of the different clamps and identify if any of yours are loose or need to be replaced.

I would first inspect the air intake system to make sure there are no blockages (check the "snorkel" sitting on the plastic trim above the rad). I think you can also pull the top of the "box" off after disconnecting the MAF harness and undoing a few metal clips, then you can pull the filter element inside the box out to inspect it and check the tubing (be careful when inspecting the area inside the tubing with the MAF sensor). If you can find someone with a basic socket/ratchet set you can take the entire intake off and inspect it even more easily.

If everything looks good, check the other hoses/pipes in the engine bay to make sure nothing else is loose.

Good luck!

Thanks all. Another idea proposed: instead of sucking, is pressurized air escaping from the turbo side somewhere. With not a tool with me, I found a local import place an hour away that can take a quick look. I’ll try that and let you know if we we were able to find anything.

Thanks all. Another idea proposed: instead of sucking, is pressurized air escaping from the turbo side somewhere. With not a tool with me, I found a local import place an hour away that can take a quick look. I’ll try that and let you know if we we were able to find anything.
Best of luck.

On our 2019 I know from a late night encounter with a coyote that if the flow from the intercooler is disrupted the engine will not run. It will start and them immediately shut down. Had I known this at the time a roll of duct tape would have saved me a wrecker call. Still required a couple of weeks in the body shop but at least I could have driven there. Like sm1ke I’m thinking something intake relate. I feel for you and hope everything works out. It stinks big time when you have problems on the road!

Back