Turbo Help-Severe shaft play

Just got a 2003 Mazda Speed Protege. Some problems I need help with. The turbo has alot of shaft play forward and backwards. And it has almost enough play up and down to hit the housing. Bearing is about to blow. The oem garret turbo is 1200$. And a oem garret Center section replacement is 500$!. Need cheaper answers. Guy before me lost the key fob. Can i get a new key fob and possibly have someone program it? The car has a piggy back ecu. Not sure exactly why. It has no Catalytic converter and no ac compressor and doesnt throw codes so I suspect its for that. How do I find out what the piggy back ecu does? Can I unplug it? Another thing is how to set the wastgate blowoff value. Its open and sucks air when at idle so I adjusted it down to where it doesn't do that, is that right? What should be normal boost numbers? Oil pressure numbers? The value cover vent tube wasnt hooked up to anything just left open, does it just have its own cone filter to vent or does it need to hook up to something? I really need some help, Ive researched for the past 48hours And need some help from the owners that know. Really appreciate the help.

I'm pretty sure you can program the remote yourself.

This is the instructions for the Protege and Protege5.
I don't think your car would be different.

Here's a link to the 2002 Protege service manual to download.

It may be helpful to you.

http://www.floptical.net/mazda/

Will I have to buy a oem key fob you think? Or aftermarket might work?

I asked my Mazda dealer and got a price of $184 CAD or a single remote.(the car came with two).

I found one at a junk yard for $10.
(including two handfuls of nuts, bolts, clips, fuses, relays, light bulbs...)

Try eBay or your local wrecker.

Last edited:

I managed to steal one of my pictures back from Photobucket.

I wonder if that's a copyright infringement ??
It's my frucken picture !!

Back