Turbo gas mileage on regular VS premium?

I've tracked my mileage for every tank of gas since I bought the car March 2019.
I've got slightly less than 10,000 on the car.
4 tanks have had 87 octane. The rest have been 93.
The last tank of 87 I put in it was June of 2019.

Early on I logged an extra 1.6 MPG on 93. As you noted, this is not done on a track or in a lab or with cleaning the tank out in between fillups or in repeated conditions and repeated driving styles, especially because I'm retired so don't have a repeated daily commute. As of my last tank of gas, my ownership-to-date mileage on 93 is 24.3 while the average mileage on 87 was 22.7

Depending on the price spread, a 300 mile's worth tank of gas (accounting for the mpg difference) has roughly ranged from $5.00 to maybe $7.30 at its peak. I pay it because there are places here in the country I like to "drive spirited," and I'm retired so saving money on the little that I drive is not important to me.

As an aside, the lifetime average Computer MPG is 0.6 MPG lower than the lifetime average Calculated MPG. These days, "long" single trips of 20 miles or more (longer than my typical 8-10 miles) see 27+MPG per the Fuel Economy Monitor.

Last edited:
Ethanol is ethyl alcohol. Why do you have an issue with what someone wants to call it? I'm pretty sure we all know what is being discussed.

There is common nomenclature and there is technical correctness.

"I drank water and it was cool and refreshing."
"I drank H2O and it was cool and refreshing."

Sure both are correct - but which one helps the conversation for the general audience?

Additionally on the gas pump what will a person see? Will it be "up to 10% Ethanol" or will it be "up to 10% Ethyl Alcohol" or "up to 10% Alcohol"? In my experience it will say "up to 10% Ethanol". So for this simple experience I thought it might be helpful.

Why do I have an issue with what someone wants to call it? It was for my personal education and clarification and it might help someone in the future. Back to your regular scheduled topic -- "Turbo gas mileage on regular VS premium"

Why do I have an issue with what someone wants to call it? It was for my personal education and clarification and it might help someone in the future. Back to your regular scheduled topic -- "Turbo gas mileage on regular VS premium"

Your implication was that Ethanol is NOT alcohol. Not that it's a different term for the same thing...

Again it is ETHANOL not ALCOHOL used in passenger vehicle fuel. We will save the drag racing conversation for another thread.

Well gosh. That was a major boo boo on my part. I will always be extremely grateful to you for the correction.

There are a lot of pumps with 85 around here. They say you don't need the octane because of the high elevation. Is that true?

I get better mpg with no alcohol but it's hard to find.

Also in CO and I fill with 87. You never know when you are going to go to lower elevation areas, and I don't want to find out I did some sort of damage using 85 in the future.

I always add a bottle of Jamaican 100 proof rum to my fill ups. Car goes like the dickens!

I read that isopropyl works best for removing water. 100 proof is only 50% alcohol so you are adding significant water. Maybe you like the smell from the tailpipe?

Back