Trouble Starting When Hot Outside 2014 CX9

:
2015 CX-9 GT
I have a 2014 CX9 approaching 100k miles on it. The car generally starts and runs fine. Regularly maintained by the local dealer. However, when the car sits for an extended period in the hot Florida sun, the engine cranks over but really struggles to start. Luckily I have never been stranded, but it often takes up to 10 tries to get the engine to kick in.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this and identified a reason for the hesitancy. Of course I can't recreate the problem at the dealer. Thanks

just a standard question, how old is your battery? did the dealer also do a battery test?

in general, extreme heat is just as bad as extreme cold on car batteries.

Probably 2 years on the battery, but they don’t age well in the heat here. I didn’t even consider it since the starter is cranking over just fine. All fuel injectors were replaced 6 months ago. Seems like a failure to spark. If that is battery-dependent then that would be an easy fix. Weird that it only happens after sitting for several hours. Once it gets running, engine heat doesn’t affect restarting.

Doesn't sound like a battery issue. Vapor lock and fuel pressure regulator would be the first things I'd look at.

so do i, seems like the fuel in the fuel lines turns into fumes or you don't have any fuel pressure. Could be a faulty fuel pump or hose inside the tank. Check out the manual and see if there is a way to monitorize the fuel pressure

Back