Trim or option regrets after purchasing

I don't think I'll buy another car without a HUD unless it drives itself. It may be the best single feature on my 2018 CX-5.
What makes it "the single best feature" on your vehicle?

Having the speed limit (and a few other ancillary items) displayed 6" higher is better than all other features (active safety features, radar cruise control, auto hold, ect)?

What makes it "the single best feature" on your vehicle?

Having the speed limit (and a few other ancillary items) displayed 6" higher is better than all other features (active safety features, radar cruise control, auto hold, ect)?

While I don't think it's the single best feature, it is something I will expect all my future vehicles to have. Whenever I drive my other car, I always miss it. Pretty much the same as when I went from my car to driving my wife's old 2010 CR-V without blind spot monitors. I put those two features on the same level.

While I don't think it's the single best feature, it is something I will expect all my future vehicles to have. Whenever I drive my other car, I always miss it. Pretty much the same as when I went from my car to driving my wife's old 2010 CR-V without blind spot monitors. I put those two features on the same level.
But what specifically do you like about it so much? What makes it so important to you?

It seems like speed is the primary information displayed. Is that what like?
Is there other information you value?
Does it matter that much to glance down ~6" for that information

But what specifically do you like about it so much? What makes it so important to you?

Well, it shows the speed limit for one. Also, if using the factory nav, it displays route info. There's more, but those are the 2 most useful to me. It's certainly not a "must have" for most people. But, neither are things like adaptive cruise control, 360 camera, parking sensors, etc... Everyone has their own unique wants. We wanted those features, so it's nice to have them. If you don't, they have options for you to go without.

I've got the ADD on my CX-9 and love it, yes specifically because it shows my current speed right in my FOV while driving. One less reason to take my eyes off the road in front of me. It's probably also the same design principle behind placing the infotainment display high up on the dash - if it was down near the center vents, you'd have to glance down at it and take your eyes off the road completely (even if just for a moment).

In addition to what @Sig cx-5 mentioned, the ADD can also be configured to display the following (pulled from my owner's manual - newer models may be slightly different):

• Blind Spot Monitoring (BSM) Operation Conditions and Warnings

• Distance Recognition Support System (DRSS) Operation Conditions and Warnings

• Traffic Sign Recognition System (TSR) traffic signs and Warnings

• Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go function (MRCC with Stop & Go function) Operation Conditions and Warnings

• Lane-keep Assist System (LAS) & Lane Departure Warning System (LDWS) Operation Conditions and Warnings

• Advanced Smart City Brake Support (Advanced SCBS) Warnings

• Smart City Brake Support (SCBS) Warnings

• Smart Brake Support (SBS) Warnings

• Cruise Control Operation Conditions

• Speed limit indicator (vehicles with navigation system)

Personally, I like that it displays the current speed, the speed limit via TSR, BSM and DRSS.

I love the HUD. Didn’t care for it until i tried it, then i really wanted it. Is it necessary? Not at all, all the same information is elsewhere. So it is a bit of personal preferences.

I think the best features is that all the active alerts are available within eyesight. Like when the smart brake support is about to engage the entire HUD turns into a big red brake sign. It is impossible to miss. You can see your blind spot monitor info on it without having to look at your mirrors. When using adaptive cruise control there is an icon in the HUD that shows my car RADAR sees the car in front of me. I use that to help determine if i should brake manually or not when the cruise controls slows down a bit later than i would normally ( i.e. is it not slowing down because it is waiting to do it later or because it hasn’t seen the car in front). I also use traffic sign recognition a lot since i always seem to miss the speed limit sign on the side of the road. Navigation cues are awesome but don’t work with google maps, which i use most of the time.

So it is usefull to me, give it a try to see if you need it or not.

With all the 2020 incentives, looks like I can save at least $2000 buying a 2020 versus a 2021. Am I going to regret purchasing a 2020 to save a couple grand? There aren't major changes for 2021. Does anyone feel the 2021 improvements are worth $2000+?

Check out infotainment system upgrade. I am told that can be considered a large upgrade, now matching the system in the new Mazda 3. I would play with the 2021 system and see if it is a worthwhile upgrade to YOU. It is one feature that cannot be easily changed. I had a 2016 Maxda6 and its infotainment was very frustrating to my wife. My son has a 2020 CX5, which seemed to be the same system as the 2016, but with upgraded software. He was OK with the system as long as it had CarPlay and AAuto, and could live with the clunkiness. My wife bought a 21 CX5 and the price difference between the 21 and the 20 was worthwhile to her. She is not a CarPlay person, but that seems to be rapidly changing as she gets used to CarPlay. Your mileage may vary.

When I bought my 2016.5 I was being cheap didn't get the technology package for $1,500 and wish I had. 2 weeks ago I bought a Signature. Now I have every option with no regrets!

Don't say you wouldn't use the ventilated seats because you are in Portland. You mentioned rain so I'm guessing OR not ME. It was 40 degrees the other day and the sun was beating in on me and couldn't get cool. The vented seats made me comfortable!

I always wished for more power in the 2016 so the turbo was a must.

In 2018 I bought an F-150. I was hemming and hawing over which option to get. So to avoid me regretting anything I got every option available! And once again, no regrets

The moral of the story is to get every option available.🙂

My wife has a 2018 Touring, I have a 2019 GT. Neither has the extra PP. Honestly I think the sweet spot is a Touring w/PP for an all round budget CX5.
I prefer the seats in her Touring compared to the leather in higher trims. Also if your into heated heats, those Touring seats get MUCH warmer then the leather GT seats (driver and passenger side), I chalk that up to the material passing the heat through easier.

The infotainment system is the biggest difference between 2020 and 2021 models. The infotainment system of the 2020 is about 5-6 year old, and a lot of people complain about it. I personally don't really care about it but this may be the difference between your car feeling older than it is in 5 years. Again that is up to you. 2000$ is not enough of a price difference for a 2020 in my opinion. If you decide on a 2020 I would wait a bit more for the price to go down further, or look at other dealers which may be more in a hurry to get their inventory of 2020 off their lots.

I have a 2020 Touring. There are a few things that it doesn't have but if I had never read these forums I would never know and really it doesn't matter. When I occasionally drive my 99 Silverado which has nothing I always say to myself that this is all anybody ever needs and then when I drive the CX I always say that this is really nice. Bottom line is that any car that runs beats walking, it is just another car.

Bought my 2019 GT-R for the HUD and Turbo. My only regret is that I ever test drove one and fell in love!

I drove a 2019 Touring immediately before it, really liked it - but the HUD and extra pep from the turbo sealed my fate.

The infotainment system is the biggest difference between 2020 and 2021 models. The infotainment system of the 2020 is about 5-6 year old, and a lot of people complain about it. I personally don't really care about it but this may be the difference between your car feeling older than it is in 5 years. Again that is up to you. 2000$ is not enough of a price difference for a 2020 in my opinion. If you decide on a 2020 I would wait a bit more for the price to go down further, or look at other dealers which may be more in a hurry to get their inventory of 2020 off their lots.
Coming from a vehicle with no sort of infotainment system, it would be a learning curve no matter if it was a 2021 or 2020. Can anyone with a 2021 give feedback comparing it to the 2020 and prior infotainment. I don't want something that is going to take 10 steps to turn the radio on.

It's safer, more ergonomic, less fatiguing - keeps attention on road ahead, don't have to look away. It also displays the radar cruise control settings.

No regrets on my GTR. When my first 2019 GTR was rear ended & totaled at 4 months and presented me with the opportunity to rethink my vehicle choice & trim level, I replaced it with it's clone.

U.S. and Canada have different trims and options/packages. I just bought a 2020 Canadian GS (similar to Touring) but without the optional package that includes sunroof, dual zone auto A/C, rear vents and advanced keyless system. I don't need the first 3 things but sorely miss the 4th one after only 2 weeks of ownership! I had something similar on my last 2 vehicles (2014 Murano & 2017.5 Murano) but without the walk away locking feature. The new Mazda key fob with its minuscules buttons is not easy to use wearing gloves. For an additional $1500, I should have bought the package...Also, I would prefer a 10 way power driver seat but here it's only available on GT and higher trims.

I also miss the 360° monitor I had on my 2017.5 Murano up to a certain point but I would have to buy the Signature for a lot more money. If money was no object, the 100th Anniversary edition would get my vote as I find the red leather seats and red carpeting just gorgeous!!!

The turbo sounds fun but probably more of a novelty item for me. Does the base engine have plenty of power for merging into traffic with a loaded vehicle? Don't think I'll do any drag racing but would be nice if it gets up and moves when I put my foot down.
That's the problem, it really doesn't get up and move. It sort of levers itself out of the chair and shuffles along until it gets some momentum, and then it does OK. I'm gonna go against the grain here and say that the normally aspirated 2.5 is a dog when taking off, and pretty sluggish when merging. Fully loaded, it would be even worse. It's slow to downshift, and slow to rev into the power band. It's usually about 2 gears too high for good acceleration through a curve or out of a turn. If you leave it in Sport mode, it winds out too long in some gears under normal driving, yet still seems to shift out of first too quickly.

Manually shifting helps a ton, and it's a lot of fun to drive that way, but if you're just driving along in Drive, it's too many steps to quickly manually downshift for power without paddle shifters. The newer cars with paddles would help this, for sure. I've thought about getting the parts from Japan and doing the retrofit, but more likely I will just sell my '17 GTR within the next year and get something with more guts.

I also have the Preferred Package and cold weather package. I like the HUD a lot, and have decided that a heated steering wheel is not something I'll do without in the future. :)

Back