Trim or option regrets after purchasing

I am looking at purchasing a 2021 CX-5 Grand Touring without the Premium Package this month. I really don't think I need the heated rear seats or folding mirrors. Just more things to go bad. Has anyone had regrets on the trim package or options they purchased? I am also considering a Touring with the Preferred Package to save a few dollars. Leaning towards the GT without the PP as that looks like the biggest bang for the buck. I am new to Mazda and just stumbled across this forum last night. Lots of good info here. Thanks in advance.

I've had my 2019 GT with preferred package for a year today. Zero regrets and concur with Hal above, the vented seats & HUD display are amazing...worth it. Also, the mirrors folding in are a great convenience...if they fail, oh well.

If I lived in Arizona, I might get a little more use out of the ventilated seats. I live near Portland so lots of rain. That's $1600 I could put towards something else.

Except the GTR, the Touring with PP is probably best price vs equipment ratio for Cx5 to me.

HUD is nice to have but distracting sometimes, cooled seats are required but for very hot climates.
Seat heating is better option overall.
Also the non leather seating pads on the Touring is better than the leather seats on GT.
Thats my opinion driving GT with PP for 2 years. If I can rewind the time 2 years ago I would have taken Touring with PP.

I would probably say get whatever you are comfortable paying. Yes probably most can pay the monthly on a Signature but is it wise financial decision is another topic.

Last edited:
Other things it looks like you don't get with Touring PP vs GT
Fog lights
Adaptive front lighting
19" wheels
Paddle shifter

Are any of these deal breakers to others?

Is the AWD the same between the Touring and GT?

Last edited:
I'll go against the grain and recommend buying the GT WITHOUT the Premium Package.

I just don't see the value in that package.
- Ventilated seats are heated rear seats are completely unnecessary, especially where you live.
- Folding mirrors are a silly novelty that are prone to breaking and provide no functional benefit (unless it stays parked on narrow urban streets).
- I can't speak about the HUD, you'd have to try it for yourself to see if it is worth it.

I would agree with bluegrass here. I would love to have all of those features, but I'd probably use them a lot more than you would, given where I live. I do have the HUD and for me, its one of those things that I never cared about until I had it, and now it's something that I want on all my future vehicles. With that said, it isn't for everyone - some reviewers have stated that it's distracting to their eyes.

Fog lights are basically for appearance only. Adaptive lighting is nice but not necessary. Same with 19s, nice but not necessary. Paddle shifters are fun, but you may not end up using them much once the novelty wears off.

Everyone's different. I personally, only buy the highest trim. My Lexus is a UL and my wife's CX-5 is a Signature. We wouldn't even be driving a CX-5 without the turbo, but that's a different story.

The majority of BMW and Mercedes owners opt for very few options. All they want is the badge and are most likely driving a vehicle above their means. If the OP has a budget, he/she should probably stick to it.

I initially thought the ventilated seats & heated steering wheel where stupid until I used them. Now they're among my favorite features. I don't need heated rear seats but I do use the fronts all the time. I also really like the HUD. It annoys me when I drive my wife's Outback without it.

Everyone's different. I personally, only buy the highest trim. My Lexus is a UL and my wife's CX-5 is a Signature. We wouldn't even be driving a CX-5 without the turbo, but that's a different story.

The majority of BMW and Mercedes owners opt for very few options. All they want is the badge and are most likely driving a vehicle above their means. If the OP has a budget, he/she should probably stick to it.
In my experience higher trims tend to hold their resale values better, or at the very least sell quicker on the used market. And as has been said, many of the CX-5 features that we may have thought were not particularly important became "must haves" once we experienced them... HUD, blind spot warning, heated & ventilated leather seats, heated steering wheel, on-board navigation (as well as Apple Car Play), etc.

As for Mercedes and BMW, I find the opposite to be true. At least in my area you'd be hard-pressed to find any on the lots of my local dealers that aren't loaded.

I really like my signature. I was never a highest trim model guy, but, we certainly enjoy and use all of the features now that we have them. My kids get so excited to have heated rear seats (especially now that it is below freezing temperatures in NJ).

The turbo sounds fun but probably more of a novelty item for me. Does the base engine have plenty of power for merging into traffic with a loaded vehicle? Don't think I'll do any drag racing but would be nice if it gets up and moves when I put my foot down.

The turbo sounds fun but probably more of a novelty item for me. Does the base engine have plenty of power for merging into traffic with a loaded vehicle? Don't think I'll do any drag racing but would be nice if it gets up and moves when I put my foot down.
Only you can decide if it's worth it. But if you test drive a turbo I can just about guarantee you'll like it better.

Our normally aspirated 2017 CX-5 seemed spirited enough. But we opted for a GTR when we picked up our 2020 CX-5 earlier this year. For us it was between an AWD GT with PP or a GTR. And at that point the price difference was minimal enough to make the turbo GTR a no-brainer. Would be a much bigger decision if we'd been shopping a lower trim level and/or FWD.

Last edited:

Yes I'm sure it's more than enough, it just requires a bit more planning ahead and a heavier foot without the turbo.

If you wanted to offset this, you could look into a throttle controller like the Pedal Commander or the Sprint Booster for the N/A 2.5. Not necessary at all of course, but the compressed pedal range will make it feel like you're accelerating harder without having to really stick your foot in it.

I've found my CX5 non-turbo has plenty of pep for merging and normal day to day driving. I think the best purchase for the dollar is the Touring version. Ed

I know there are quite a few 2020 still available in my area and a larger factory discount. I need to read up on the 2020 vs 2021 differences. I know screen size being one of them. Are there any other major items I wouldn't get with a 2020 compared to a 2021?

I'll go against the grain and recommend buying the GT WITHOUT the Premium Package.

I just don't see the value in that package.
- Ventilated seats are heated rear seats are completely unnecessary, especially where you live.
- Folding mirrors are a silly novelty that are prone to breaking and provide no functional benefit (unless it stays parked on narrow urban streets).
- I can't speak about the HUD, you'd have to try it for yourself to see if it is worth it.
I don't think I'll buy another car without a HUD unless it drives itself. It may be the best single feature on my 2018 CX-5.

Touring with package is the best value...it’s what we bought for that very reason.

That being said, would have bought a GTR or Sig if given the chance to redo.

Back