Transport 2nd FOB

Driving 2019 CX5 on Monday and need to take the extra fob with me. How do I transport it? I plan to take old battery out until I arrive at new designation and take the FOB with me to motel room at night.

During the day, if I stop and get out at rest station can I leave 2nd FOB without battery in car?

Should I wrap it in tinfoil?

I'd say taking the battery out would disable it. The only way to use it at that point is the physical key or direct contact on the push to start button. Looks like you've got a good plan.

There is no problem having both keys in the car with a battery in both at the same time. Trying to understand what the OP is concerned about.

Why would you want to leave the 2nd key in the car if you stop at a rest station? Wouldn't you want both keys to be with you rather than locked inside the car? Are you looking to keep the 2nd set to prevent a lock out situation?

Are you trying to remove the battery to prevent the push button start from working while it's left in the car?

I don't understand the OP concern either. Just keep the batteries in the fobs and keep the fobs in your pocket when you leave the car.

No problemo.

Me three. Take battery out? Is there some technology that prevents you from having 2 FOBS in your pocket? Unless the OP wants to keep the second one separate in case he looses the 1st one?

When I go away for the winter and take the spare with me, I just wrap it in tinfoil, that disables it and I don't have to carry two around with me.

Last edited:
Unless your pocket space is at a premium, put one fob in your right pocket and the other in your left pocket. They won't fight with each other.

Thanks for your response. It is my wife who is traveling alone and she does not want to carry her handbag into a restroom. She wants to carry her cell phone with her and I am trying to avoid having her stuff her pockets with 2 fobs, a cell phone, and whatever ladies carry with them to a rest room.

If she leaves the spare in the car with a battery, the door won't automatically lock when she gets out.

I have removed the battery from the spare and put in her overnight bag and there is a new unopened battery in the console.

Thanks for your response. It is my wife who is traveling alone and she does not want to carry her handbag into a restroom. She wants to carry her cell phone with her and I am trying to avoid having her stuff her pockets with 2 fobs, a cell phone, and whatever ladies carry with them to a rest room.

If she leaves the spare in the car with a battery, the door won't automatically lock when she gets out.

I have removed the battery from the spare and put in her overnight bag and there is a new unopened battery in the console.

If the second fob (w/battery) is inside of the car when you attempt to lock the car with the first fob from the outside, you'll get a series of beeps (7 beeps?) and the car will not lock. Now, if you do the same thing but use the door lock button (not the fob) on the inside of the car before you close the door. It locks with no beeps.

No need to remove the battery from any fobs.

Last edited:

If she wraps the spare in tinfoil she can leave it in the car and lock it with the other one, or autolock, the tinfoil wrap will deactivate the spare.

If the person wants something a bit nicer for keeping the fob inside the vehicle, on Amazon search: "faraday pouch for key fob "

Plenty of options.

Back