Transmission issues (Loss of power)?

Unfortunately, it's all 0's.
Ok thanks for looking and reporting back. And good luck when you go back and try to get them to agree with what you're saying. I hope that works out favorably for you!

So it’s ticking noise complaint which made the Mazda tech line replaced all hydraulic lash adjusters (HLAs). There’s a Service Alert for this valve ticking noise. Based on the part numbers listed on the invoice, they’re:

8 X PYFA-12-100A ADJUSTER, H
Valve Lifters - Mazda (PYFA-12-100A) Replaces: PYFA-12-100
Other Names: Engine Camshaft Follower, Adjuster Hydraulic Lash
Description: CX-3. Mazda6. CX-5. Mazda3. CX-30. Without turbo. Without cyl deactivation.

8 X PYFA-12-1A0 ADJUSTER, H
Engine Camshaft Follower - Mazda (PYFA-12-1A0)
Replaces: PYFA-12-1A0A
Other Names: Adjuster Hydraulic Lash S
Description: Intake. Cylinder Deactivation.

The “Engine Camshaft Follower” name for part no. PYFA-12-1A0 is confusing. But it does say “Adjuster Hydraulic Lash” in Other Names. This more complicated (and more expensive) HLA or hydraulic valve lifter is the switchable HLA designed for cylinder #1 and #4 for cylinder deactivation where the valve lifting function can be deactivated.

Service Alert No.: SA-012/19 Last Issued: 11/22/2019 - VALVE TAPPING OR KNOCKING NOISE HEARD FROM CYLINDER HEAD

Funny enough, it wasn't a ticking at all. It was what sounded like a loose exhaust shield but coming from the engine every 5 seconds like clockwork on idle. I had to listen on the passenger side of the car wheel well. I'm very in tune with my vehicles. I always compare to a standard that is new (loaner in this case). I think they just wrote that down because it got me the warranty work and got them paid.

Ok thanks for looking and reporting back. And good luck when you go back and try to get them to agree with what you're saying. I hope that works out favorably for you!
So far I've had pretty good luck with them as far as their knowledge and am really looking to see if they can solve my problem. The dealership is known for very good customer service and they take it seriously.

Recently, I had my timing cover gasket replaced under warranty for my 2018 CX-5 Grand touring. I had to have this done twice because the first time after I got it back, it sprayed oil all under the engine compartment and leaked again.The second time Mazda corporate got involved with my Mazda dealer and it seems that they have resolved the issue *knock on wood* and also replaced the hydraulic lifters. Having had a loaner now for a total of three weeks over the span of the two fixes, I noticed that the 2020 model that I was driving around was far more powerful and would stay around 2,000 RPMs going up a hill and still gain some speed or at least stay the same speed without having to downshift. My 2018 model has to downshift on even the slightest hill. It almost feels as if the car has less compression or that something is preventing it from riding smoothly.it seems when I go down the hill with the one I own comparative to the 2020 dealership model, mine stays the same speed or loses speed whereas the dealership cx-5 gains speed. I don't know where to start if it's a transmission issue or brakes rubbing. I don't smell anything or see anything that looks out of place as far as the brakes are concerned. Where should I start with this issue? Has anybody else had this kind of issue? Any advice would be appreciated.
You said this lack of power problem happening before the repairs were done, so there’s nothing the dealer could have done to cause this.

What is the mpg of your CX-5? Have you checked the tire pressure?

If your 2018 CX-5 no longer has new car warranty, you still can take in to your Mazda dealer and complain the lack of power issue under powertrain warranty by saying you drove the loaner car and found your CX-5 definitely is lacking power. Or (somebody else may suggest) you may say you found the engine is lacking power since the repairs were done when the car was under new car warranty.

The whole thing is unfortunate to you. But your lack of power issue can be caused by too many possibilities. A thorough inspection with Mazda diagnostic computer may be the best way to figure out what is happening to your CX-5. IMO the transmission is the least likely culprit to your lack of power problem.

Do you mean the first page of the last work done or all invoices period? I think I may only have the most recent.
All recent work done by the dealer if possible.

You said this lack of power problem happening before the repairs were done, so there’s nothing the dealer could have done to cause this.

If your 2018 CX-5 no longer has new car warranty, you still can take in to your Mazda dealer and complain the lack of power issue under powertrain warranty by saying you drove the loaner car and found your CX-5 definitely is lacking power. Or (somebody else may suggest) you may say you found the engine is lacking power since the repairs were done when the car was under new car warranty.

The whole thing is unfortunate to you. But your lack of power issue can be caused by too many possibilities. A thorough inspection with Mazda diagnostic computer may be the best way to figure out what is happening to your CX-5. IMO the transmission is the least likely culprit to your lack of power problem.

Yeah I didn't think it was transmission related. Except maybe the issue of under filling I read about on here. Fortunately, I have a cpo warranty until November of 2021. So far I'm thinking of having them update the firmware for cd, transmission (I think I read about a tsb on shift points around here), and a compression test. I'm seriously wondering if the compression can lower from that rocker arm falling out of place? Most say it isn't discernible at low speeds but if it is that, I can tell whereas someone like my wife or regular driver would never noticed at low speed.

I had new tires put on a few weeks back (continental lx25). Pressure is excellent (around 39psi). The car says my mpg is 29 but my actual seems more like 25. This is with mostly highway. With the loaner for 2 weeks on similar routes, it averaged 29 actual. Definitely concerning.

.... I'm seriously wondering if the compression can lower from that rocker arm falling out of place? ....
Rocker arm removal and reinstallation is part of the HLA replacement procedure, so a detached arm would have been totally obvious to the tech doing the work.

Just some friendly advice, to not ask your service department to do anything to your vehicle (reflashing or anything else), or suggest any possible reasons for what you're experiencing. You need to keep in mind that you will need to convince them of the problem you believe your vehicle is having. Telling them how to do their job will not help your case in any way, and might very well create a barrier to what you're trying to accomplish.

So I recommend just keeping it simple and asking them to take a ride with you so you can point out what is happening. If you can get them to agree with you that a problem does exist, then I'd expect them to continue the diagnostic process without you needing to do anything else.

Yeah I didn't think it was transmission related. Except maybe the issue of under filling I read about on here. Fortunately, I have a cpo warranty until November of 2021. So far I'm thinking of having them update the firmware for cd, transmission (I think I read about a tsb on shift points around here), and a compression test. I'm seriously wondering if the compression can lower from that rocker arm falling out of place? Most say it isn't discernible at low speeds but if it is that, I can tell whereas someone like my wife or regular driver would never noticed at low speed.
If you have CPO warranty, you can take your CX-5 back about your lack of power concern. You don’t want to diagnose the problems or concerns by yourself and telling the dealer to do compression test or update the PCM at first. You job is to persuade the tech that your concern is legit by presenting the evidence. edmaz’s advice above is excellent, you want to keep it simple.

For your lack of power problem it seems the engine itself could be not efficient from factory. It’s typical that all engines are not assembled equal. Some are more efficient than others. More efficient engines will have better fuel economy and more power. Your engine may also have problems with the lack of power so obvious that when you compare another CX-5 going up the same hill, yours have to downshift and the other CX-5 doesn’t have to. The 39 psi on tire pressure is fine, but the 25 mpg on actual highway gas mileage is very poor. In any event convincing the tech on lack of power problem with the evidence of very poor gas mileage is a tough task, and don’t be surprised the reply is “it’s normal” after all the effort you made. This may be the reason why (very poor gas mileage and nothing the dealer can do) the previous owner got rid of this 2018 CX-5 before the new car warranty expires.

Last edited:
The update for CD was a recall and would have been taken care of before the vehicle could be CPO'd (if it hadn't already been done by the previous owner).

It's not really an accurate gauge to compare a 3 year old engine with lots of miles on it to a new one. There have likely been many updates to the engine tuning, suspension, transmission, etc., in that time. I drive Mazdas everyday and there is a ton of difference in feel and performance between my 2017 Mazda 6 with 37k miles on it and a new one, even though they have the same engine. You might want to try a few Italian tune-up runs to reset the PCM and see if that helps

The update for CD was a recall and would have been taken care of before the vehicle could be CPO'd (if it hadn't already been done by the previous owner).

It's not really an accurate gauge to compare a 3 year old engine with lots of miles on it to a new one. There have likely been many updates to the engine tuning, suspension, transmission, etc., in that time. I drive Mazdas everyday and there is a ton of difference in feel and performance between my 2017 Mazda 6 with 37k miles on it and a new one, even though they have the same engine. You might want to try a few Italian tune-up runs to reset the PCM and see if that helps
The car has 25k on it. It's hard to explain, but I know it isn't right.

If you have CPO warranty, you can take your CX-5 back about your lack of power concern. You don’t want to diagnose the problems or concerns by yourself and telling the dealer to do compression test or update the PCM at first. You job is to persuade the tech that your concern is legit by presenting the evidence. edmaz’s advice above is excellent, you want to keep it simple.

For your lack of power problem it seems the engine itself could be not efficient from factory. It’s typical that all engines are not assembled equal. Some are more efficient than others. More efficient engines will have better fuel economy and more power. Your engine may also have problems with the lack of power so obvious that when you compare another CX-5 going up the same hill, yours have to downshift and the other CX-5 doesn’t have to. The 39 psi on tire pressure is fine, but the 25 mpg on actual highway gas mileage is very poor. In any event convincing the tech on lack of power problem with the evidence of very poor gas mileage is a tough task, and don’t be surprised the reply is “it’s normal” after all the effort you made. This may be the reason why (very poor gas mileage and nothing the dealer can do) the previous owner got rid of this 2018 CX-5 before the new car warranty expires.
This will be a very difficult thing to prove. It requires that someone be so in tube with the car, they can feel it from other cars. I know there are differences in efficiency and power between even same cars, but I feel this is more than normal. Good advice on me not telling the tech how to do his job. 8 was just hoping not to go back again and again to get something resolved. I feel something like this is easy to write off as "normal".

Rocker arm removal and reinstallation is part of the HLA replacement procedure, so a detached arm would have been totally obvious to the tech doing the work.

Just some friendly advice, to not ask your service department to do anything to your vehicle (reflashing or anything else), or suggest any possible reasons for what you're experiencing. You need to keep in mind that you will need to convince them of the problem you believe your vehicle is having. Telling them how to do their job will not help your case in any way, and might very well create a barrier to what you're trying to accomplish.

So I recommend just keeping it simple and asking them to take a ride with you so you can point out what is happening. If you can get them to agree with you that a problem does exist, then I'd expect them to continue the diagnostic process without you needing to do anything else.
This is a load off my mind to know that they have to remove the rocker arms and reinstall just to do the hla's. At least I know that's right. Again, someone else suggested not telling them what to do as well. Good advice that I will heed.

This will be a very difficult thing to prove. It requires that someone be so in tube with the car, they can feel it from other cars. I know there are differences in efficiency and power between even same cars, but I feel this is more than normal. Good advice on me not telling the tech how to do his job. 8 was just hoping not to go back again and again to get something resolved. I feel something like this is easy to write off as "normal".
Can you tell if the engine is using any oil?

If I were you, I’d gather some stats (gas receipt with mileage interval) to show very poor MPG, and tell the service advisor about the lack of power concern with the comparison going the same uphill. I’d ask what they can do to check such problem, and may be kindly mentioning if they can do a compression test and even a leak-down test to find out the engine condition.

And I’d do this way before my CPO warranty expires, unless I only intend to keep my vehicle for a very short period of time. And if I had a car with so many “major” problems like yours within warranty (valve cover、timing chain cover、and oil pan leaks、HLA failing at 25K miles!), I’d consider to dump it once the warranty is gone even though I’ve always wanted to keep a car forever. Call me superstitious, if a car keeps having problems since new, chance are it’ll keep having problems endlessly.

Last edited:
Back