Transmission issues (Loss of power)?

30.5 mpg on trip to Outer Banks NC from upstate Delaware with a fully loaded car, dog and two adults. Roads were mostly four lane with an abundance of stop lights.
Avg speed was 65 mph and using radar cruise.
Exactly my point.

30.5 mpg on trip to Outer Banks NC from upstate Delaware with a fully loaded car, dog and two adults. Roads were mostly four lane with an abundance of stop lights.
Avg speed was 65 mph and using radar cruise.
Is that system average or actual calculated?

Well I took it in. They "couldn't recreate the issue". All they did was upgrade the PCM. It did not help. I was on a flat today, have the car the slightest gas to go up 2 miles per hour to set my cruise and it down shifted! It can only either be the torque converter, rubbing of brakes like the epb issue (wouldn't I smell this?), Or lack of compression. I really don't know what to do as I'm so upset. I have had it so many times into the shop and am seriously considering getting rid of it. I'm tired of having to take it in and the cheapest thing to be done, being done. I'm not crazy, I'm not stupid, I know what I'm talking about. You can drive any loaner (I've had 3 different ones) and they perform as expected. A little gas on those just makes the car move a little faster without a downshift.

Glad to say I got rid of this vehicle. Made an extra 2k towards down payment on a different car. Was so tired of all the back and forth with the dealership on something I knew wasn't right. Not worth my time or frustration to figure out their issues.
Can’t blame it on you got rid of your 2018 CX-5 GT as your CX-5 had almost all problems we’ve seen from TSBs since Mazda added cylinder deactivation to the 2.5L. I’d do the same like I did to my severe oil burning 2001.5 VW Passat GLX 2.8L V6 got rid of it early even though I always keep my vehicles as long as I can, although the used car price at the time was not like today’s situation.

Do you mind to tell us what kind of car did you get to replace your problematic CX-5?

Can’t blame it on you got rid of your 2018 CX-5 GT as your CX-5 had almost all problems we’ve seen from TSBs since Mazda added cylinder deactivation to the 2.5L. I’d do the same like I did to my severe oil burning 2001.5 VW Passat GLX 2.8L V6 got rid of it early even though I always keep my vehicles as long as I can, although the used car price at the time was not like today’s situation.

Do you mind to tell us what kind of car did you get to replace your problematic CX-5?
A used Volvo xc60 t5 momentum. Blown away by it but drives like a touring car (body roll). So I'll miss the sportiness but the luxury of it is impressive. I am now more impressed by the cx5 interior now and can agree they are punching above their weight on that front. They're close to luxury car level for sure. For the money, it's a steal.

A used Volvo xc60 t5 momentum. Blown away by it but drives like a touring car (body roll). So I'll miss the sportiness but the luxury of it is impressive. I am now more impressed by the cx5 interior now and can agree they are punching above their weight on that front. They're close to luxury car level for sure. For the money, it's a steal.
A 2021 Volvo XC60 T5 Momentum? One thing for sure is you now have much better seats than CX-5’s!

The 2.0T with 247 hp and a 8-speed automatic on Volvo XC60 are things Mazda should follow. Adding a turbo to a 4-cylinder 2.5L is simply too big on the displacement. Mazda’s 6-speed auto definitely is outdated too. Mazda really needs to spend development money on these two areas, instead they wasted money on problematic cylinder deactivation for almost nothing!

A 2021 Volvo XC60 T5 Momentum? One thing for sure is you now have much better seats than CX-5’s!

The 2.0T with 247 hp and a 8-speed automatic on Volvo XC60 are things Mazda should follow. Adding a turbo to a 4-cylinder 2.5L is simply too big on the displacement. Mazda’s 6-speed auto definitely is outdated too. Mazda really needs to spend development money on these two areas, instead they wasted money on problematic cylinder deactivation for almost nothing!
I didn't think Mazdas 6 speed was that bad. It was smooth (when I drive good loaners). But honestly, the volvos 8 speed is the best transmission I've ever had. It's like driving butter around. The turbo in it kicks in at 1200 rpms (I think it's twin scroll) and just has power always available. Most times, it doesn't even need to downshift going up steep hills. Just a little more gas and it actually gains speed! Never had to floor it. It's impressive for a 4500lb car. It feels incredibly solid. Couple that with my hatred for Mazdas infotainment and love of volvos, and it's just all around better.

I didn't think Mazdas 6 speed was that bad. It was smooth (when I drive good loaners). But honestly, the volvos 8 speed is the best transmission I've ever had. It's like driving butter around. The turbo in it kicks in at 1200 rpms (I think it's twin scroll) and just has power always available. Most times, it doesn't even need to downshift going up steep hills. Just a little more gas and it actually gains speed! Never had to floor it. It's impressive for a 4500lb car. It feels incredibly solid. Couple that with my hatred for Mazdas infotainment and love of volvos, and it's just all around better.
Can’t confirm it, is panoramic sunroof standard on XC60?

Yes but then no factory nav. Must be a t5 also. As for nav, just use Android auto or carplay.
What kind of gas mileage does it get? MY wife briefly considered a new Volvo, but the dealership was a big turn-off.

We could have paid cash, but they acted like they were doing us a favor by letting us take a test drive. She's holding out for an AWD VW ID Buzz.

What kind of gas mileage does it get? MY wife briefly considered a new Volvo, but the dealership was a big turn-off.

We could have paid cash, but they acted like they were doing us a favor by letting us take a test drive. She's holding out for an AWD VW ID Buzz.
I average 25 real world. But there are different modes that change the curve. That's on standard mode (not actually termed that). Eco mode gets better and highway is near 30. Note that these numbers are with premium only. The car can run on less: 91 or even 87 but gas mileage and power will suffer. Good idea waiting on the vw. I love electric. My next car will likely be an awd electric; especially if we get that 7500 off the cost of one! Honestly though, in 22 or 23 Volvo is releasing an awd xc60 recharge. Maybe wait for that?

Back