Transmission fluid change without filter replacement

whats the quantity required to fill after dumping the old atf ?
tnx
Based on reports here, each drain-and-fill needs about 3.75 quarts of ATF, and 1 drop-the-pan needs 4.2~4.5 quarts.

Yeah it's 7.8L. I was at the dealership today, they warmed the trans and checked levels, they say it was full.

Hey folks I just completed my 3rd drain and fill, but decided to drop the pan and change the filter. First time I drained and filled about 3.7 quarts, 2nd time also 3.7, and this last one I got out 5 full quarts and 5 went back in, which put it on the dipstick mark with engine running and 122 ATF temp.
Doing the math that means only ~12% of the old fluid should be left in there, based on 8.2 quart total capacity.

whole job cost me about $200 for 14 quarts of FZ fluid, the filter, 4 new pan bolts to replace the rusted ones, and a tube of Mazda pan sealant. The sealant smells exactly like Permatex Ultra Gray, but it includes this genius key looking device for rolling up the tube and squeezing out the sealant. It’s worth 10 bucks just for that IMHO.

Hey folks I just completed my 3rd drain and fill, but decided to drop the pan and change the filter. First time I drained and filled about 3.7 quarts, 2nd time also 3.7, and this last one I got out 5 full quarts and 5 went back in, which put it on the dipstick mark with engine running and 122 ATF temp.
Doing the math that means only ~12% of the old fluid should be left in there, based on 8.2 quart total capacity.

whole job cost me about $200 for 14 quarts of FZ fluid, the filter, 4 new pan bolts to replace the rusted ones, and a tube of Mazda pan sealant. The sealant smells exactly like Permatex Ultra Gray, but it includes this genius key looking device for rolling up the tube and squeezing out the sealant. It’s worth 10 bucks just for that IMHO.
Again, thanks for sharing you experience!

One thing to clarify on ATF amount needed for 2 drain-and-fills and 1 ATF pan drop with filter cartridge replacement: 3.7 + 3.7 + 5 = 12.4 quarts ~ 13 quarts of ATF FZ instead of 14 quarts?

And in your opinion, is it better doing the pan drop with filter change first than doing the pan drop last like you did?

Again, thanks for sharing you experience!

One thing to clarify on ATF amount needed for 2 drain-and-fills and 1 ATF pan drop with filter cartridge replacement: 3.7 + 3.7 + 5 = 12.4 quarts ~ 13 quarts of ATF FZ instead of 14 quarts?

And in your opinion, is it better doing the pan drop with filter change first than doing the pan drop last like you did?
Ah yes it was 13, I started with 12 and then bought one extra from the dealership.

I didn’t decide to drop the pan until after the 2nd drain and fill so I can’t really comment on what’s better.

I’m still trying to decide what to do. I talked to the independent mechanic that I use here the other day. He's the one that I would have taken Mazda fluid to and had him machine flush it, before I found out these are sealed units. I'm just approaching 30k miles. He suggested, rather than trying to do 3 flushes in a row in my gravel driveway, that I start now, early in the transmission's life, and do one D&F every 15k or so. I may do that. Or, I might even do 2 now, then one every three oil changes from then on, and just keep track of how the fluid looks and how it shifts. That's basically what I used to do with our last Subaru, and it seemed to stay healthy.

I know it’s buried in this thread somewhere, but did I read that this tranny fluid is an Idemitzu product? If so, does anyone know the number off the top of your head. I can usually source their stuff locally, rather than having to depend on a dealer that’s 3 hours away.

I’m still trying to decide what to do. I talked to the independent mechanic that I use here the other day. He's the one that I would have taken Mazda fluid to and had him machine flush it, before I found out these are sealed units. I'm just approaching 30k miles. He suggested, rather than trying to do 3 flushes in a row in my gravel driveway, that I start now, early in the transmission's life, and do one D&F every 15k or so. I may do that. Or, I might even do 2 now, then one every three oil changes from then on, and just keep track of how the fluid looks and how it shifts. That's basically what I used to do with our last Subaru, and it seemed to stay healthy.
IMO your ATF change schedule is excessive. ATF is in a sealed environment and there’s no blown-by gases and fuel to contaminate the fluid like the engine oil. The only reason for me to do the first ATF change with pan drop a bit earlier than 60K miles is trying to clean up the crud and sludge stuck on the magnet and ATF pan, although they should stay put there with no harm to the transmission. And based on UOA on the ATF posted by others, the ATF FZ from factory is fine for 70K+ miles.

I know it’s buried in this thread somewhere, but did I read that this tranny fluid is an Idemitzu product? If so, does anyone know the number off the top of your head. I can usually source their stuff locally, rather than having to depend on a dealer that’s 3 hours away.
Yes Mazda Genuine ATF FZ is made by Idemitzu. If you can get Idemitzu ATF FZ that should be fine. But you can order OEM Mazda ATF FZ online easily, especially from Med Center Mazda which offers free shipping with order over $100.

Mazda parts online...Who has the best service?

@yrwei52 I think @Jnclem was looking for the Idemitzu part number so as to not buy the Mazda branded one.

which I believe is going to be:

1 Quart30040092-75000C020
5 Quart30040092-95300C020

@yrwei52 I think @Jnclem was looking for the Idemitzu part number so as to not buy the Mazda branded one.

I believe that's for pre-Skyactive transmissions

Neither of those are correct for SkyActiv transmissions. The M is for the older transmissions, not sure what the other one is for. It must say Type FZ.

IMO your ATF change schedule is excessive. ATF is in a sealed environment and there’s no blown-by gases and fuel to contaminate the fluid like the engine oil. The only reason for me to do the first ATF change with pan drop a bit earlier than 60K miles is trying to clean up the crud and sludge stuck on the magnet and ATF pan, although they should stay put there with no harm to the transmission. And based on UOA on the ATF posted by others, the ATF FZ from factory is fine for 70K+ miles.
If I owned one of these vehicles from new, I might be tempted to do at least a pan drop and fluid change early, like 30k miles or earlier, and then go at least 70K+ after that. Just to clean all the crap out from the pan and magnet from the initial gearbox break-in process when it was new.

Engineered for and meets requirements of Mazda Automatic Transmission with M-V (M5) specifications.

If the ATF doesn’t say Mazda FZ, don’t use it.

Neither of those are correct for SkyActiv transmissions. The M is for the older transmissions, not sure what the other one is for. It must say Type FZ.
I agree, very sure it's for older transmissions. I wouldn't play roulette with fluids for the Skyactiv transmission.

Cheaping out on ATF is a false economy. Spend the bucks, get the specific Type FZ fluid, even if you have to get it from the Stealership. "Saving" $35 on cheap or wrong ATF may wind up costing you $3500 for a new transmission.

I didn’t decide to drop the pan until after the 2nd drain and fill so I can’t really comment on what’s better.

As far as the math goes, you still end up with ~12% concentration of the original fluid left, after 3 fluid drain/fills, with one pan drop. Doesn't matter which way you sequence the pan drop, first, second or third time.

If you do 3 drain/fills without dropping the pan, you'll still have ~17% of the original fluid left.

Back