CX-5 Trailer Hitch

I'll add some photos for non-OEM installation. I went with the Draw-Tite (76138) one and installed myself (used some RhinoRamps and a torque wrench and had it done in under an hour). I tried to get a photo of the top plate so you can see how unobtrusive it is. Additionally, here is some info on the difference between the Curtis and Draw-Tite hitches: https://www.etrailer.com/question-325079.html. Don't get too caught up as both hitches are fine.

Ignore the dirty garage!

It looks good!

One of the photos I included was top down from the rear of the bumper. You definitely cannot see the Draw-Tite hitch from the top down and it is ever so slightly recessed behind the bumper. Mine even has a receiver cover (the dive flag) that sticks out beyond the receiver end just a tad.

Yeh, I have a utility trailer and a small boat I've yet to figure out how to tow with the smaller hitch. I'm assuming I can get an adapter of some kind. They're not heavy.

You can get a 1.25* to 2* receiver (class 2 to 3) adapter which will work for the OEM (class 2) hitch.

I have a Curt Class III from etrailer.com. Looks good, easy install, just loosen the muffler and let it drop a few inches.

Yeh, I have a utility trailer and a small boat I've yet to figure out how to tow with the smaller hitch. I'm assuming I can get an adapter of some kind. They're not heavy.

I have a small trailer and a small boat too. It is a lot of fun. I have this one video of it

I have a small trailer and a small boat too. It is a lot of fun. I have this one video of it

That's pretty cool.

I bought a used john boat with an electric motor a few years ago. Lots of the places I fish are reservoirs, so outboards are prohibited. Haven't taken it out yet.

I used to have a belly boat...an inner tube set up for fishing. It has a sling to sit in, built-in pouches, and velcro straps to hold your rod. It came with "duck fins"...flippers with side flaps.

roos22.jpg

There's nothing like being eye level with the water (and in the water) when a bass hits a top-water lure early on a misty morning.

ps: We got a lot in common...we both fish, my CX-5 is Eternal Blue, and you just had to find the poison ivy. ;)

I installed a 2" class III CURT hitch on my 2014 CX-5 several years ago and there was no cutting of the bumper required. When I upgraded to a 2018 CX-5 I negotiated a good deal on the OEM 2" class III hitch. Again, there was no cutting and it sure looks VERY similar to the CURT hitch. It once again just touches the bottom of the bumper. I wouldn't be surprised if Mazda contracted CURT to build it for them.

Last edited:
That's pretty cool.

I bought a used john boat with an electric motor a few years ago. Lots of the places I fish are reservoirs, so outboards are prohibited. Haven't taken it out yet.

I used to have a belly boat...an inner tube set up for fishing. It has a sling to sit in, built-in pouches, and velcro straps to hold your rod. It came with "duck fins"...flippers with side flaps.

roos22.jpg

There's nothing like being eye level with the water (and in the water) when a bass hits a top-water lure early on a misty morning.

ps: We got a lot in common...we both fish, my CX-5 is Eternal Blue, and you just had to find the poison ivy. ;)

I was going to get one of those a few years ago. Yes, CX-5 eternal blue, fishing and poison ivy :)

I have a Curt Class II Receiver Hitch (1.25 in sq receiver) I tow a 1000 lb trailer extensively every summer. Probably around 1500 miles. The hitch is perfect for this application. I did modify the draw bar so it doesn't rattle, but that would be needed with any hitch.

I need some advice on what is required to tow a small John boat and a utility trailer (both with 2" hitch) with my factory Class II hitch.

The Empty Weight of the trailer is 600#, and the weight of the John boat & trailer is not specified...but it's just a fishing boat.

All the Class II > Class III adapters say "Not For Towing," meaning only use bike carriers and cargo holders. I assume this is their legal advice so that people don't exceed the towing capacity of their vehicle, and that there really is no inherent issue using the adapter to actually tow something.

So assuming that I am going to observe the towing limitations of my CX-5, which is the preferred option:

#1-Buy a Class II > Class III adapter and use my Class III ball mount
#2-Buy a Class II ball mount and a Class II 2" ball
--It looks like the shanks are smaller diameter on a Class II ball

Option #1 allows me to use the existing receiver and ball, but introduces another component to the assembly.

Option #2 may be a little more expensive, but seems to be the obvious choice.

Also, how do I decide how much of a drop I need (11/4", 2", 3", 4")? For my purposes, does it really matter? I gotta think that the CX-5 is so low to the ground compared to a truck that the 11/4" drop is the best choice.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Old thread I know. I was looking for information on the OEM hitch; specifically if you needed to cut the bumper. I can't believe this is Mazda's solution. Very cheap. Every Acura/Honda product allows you to replace a small section of the bumper with the included part designed for the OEM hitch. What a joke Mazda.

Old thread I know. I was looking for information on the OEM hitch; specifically if you needed to cut the bumper. I can't believe this is Mazda's solution. Very cheap. Every Acura/Honda product allows you to replace a small section of the bumper with the included part designed for the OEM hitch. What a joke Mazda.
This’s the problem by Mazda North American Operations, and the same problem happens on OEM Remote Start accessary. I’ve seen the pictures of OEM trailer hitch offered by Mazda Australia and it’s much nicer, and no cutting on rear bumper!

Owned nothing but Acura's for 12 years (8 of them.) I like the CX-5 and just convinced my Dad into buying one; he wants a hitch. I was going to buy a Signature for me for 1 year, then give to my son when he starts driving. Hitch is a must have for bikes/etc. I'm seriously thinking of passing. I know that sounds crazy, but I hate the aftermarket, low-hanging look of hitches. No matter how nice you "trim" the OEM cutout, it's going to look like a hack job.

Last edited:
Owned nothing but Acura's for 12 years (8 of them.) I like the CX-5 and just convinced my Dad into buying one; he wants a hitch. I was going to buy a Signature for me for 1 year, then give to my son when he starts driving. Hitch is a must have for bikes/etc. I'm seriously thinking of passing. I know that sounds crazy, but I hate the aftermarket, low-hanging look of hitches. No matter how nice you "trim" the OEM cutout, it's going to look like a hack job.
You wouldn't even notice that the CX-5 has a hitch with the aftermarket hitches such as Curt. A 5 1/4" drop (rise) tow bar makes a trailer perfectly level.

Looks like down under they include all the necessary parts, unlike in North America, or at least the US where it seems all these parts are required for the 2017-2021 CX-5:

0000-8E-R06A Trailer Hitch Class I
0000-8E-R13 Trailer Wiring Harness
0000-8E-R10 Trailer Hitch Harness Re-Route Kit
0000-8E-R08 Ball Mount Trailer Hitch
0000-8E-Z14 Cover, Trailer Hitch Receiver

I was not aware a separate kit 0000-8E-R10 was required for the wiring harness.
It still seems as if a non-OEM Class 3 2"x2" is more useful, assuming you know you cannot tow 8,000 lbs with the CX5!

Back