CX-5 Trailer Hitch

Some factory hitches are put on at the dock where the vehicles are unloaded and stored for delivery.

I don't know if I will ever need a hitch ball to tow a trailer but a 2" receiver is useful for a number of accessories.

Can someone with an OEM in the bumper cut out and someone with a Curt and/or Drawtite 2" that sits below the bumper measure the distance from the bottom of the receiver to the ground? I'm really curious what the Canada OEM 2" looks like and it's height as well. My driveway is a little steep at entry so I need all the clearance I can get to clear my bike rack.

I had almost decided on a CX-5 with an OEM hitch until I realized it was 1.25". I must have gotten it confused with the Outback/RAV4/Escape as being 2". My 1up I got last year is 2" and I don't want to use an adapter. I'm really hoping it's not as low as I fear.

The bottom of the Curt hole is 10 7/8" (see photo).

P2020681.JPG

P2020681B.JPG

The bottom of the Curt hole is 10 7/8" (see photo).
Thanks for such a quick turnaround. That's pretty close to my current setup. I wonder if geometry might work to my benefit since I think the RAV4 has more car behind the rear wheel axle which is the pivot point. Plus due to the rear mounted spare I need to keep the rack further out so pedals clear the spare. Would you be willing to try and measure how far behind the rear axle the end of the receiver is? And also where the end of the receiver is in relation to the rear hatch?

I'm also going to see if my local dealer has any used models for sale with aftermarket hitches to bring home and try.

View attachment 296743
A side by side visual of my aftermarket 2" and the Mazda 1.25" hitch receiver
The one on the right has the REAR BUMPER TRIM W/HITCH part KB8W-V3-300 which is the exact oem combo I want! The rear bumper trim does cover the black cutout I believe? If the black bumper was cut smaller than the silver bumper trim cutout then it can cover the black bumper cutout if it looks crappy when I cut it to install the oem class 1 hitch?

1624066811203.png

Last edited:
Back