TPMS Sensor Light Question

Hi. I have a 2008 CX-9 Grand Touring, original owner, 145K miles with 20" wheels. The TPMS light is on and after checking, all of my tire pressures are fine. I have a Computer Reader and when I check codes it says something like Left Rear Sensor not responding. I reset the light hoping that might take care of it but it is back on. Mazda has always done all my service including installing new tires. Do they service the sensors when changing tires or can I assume that the sensors, batteries (if not replaceable) are all factory and never been touched making them 13 years old? They have never mentioned it nor have I have ever seen it listed on a receipt. Depending on cost, not sure if I want to replace them. I assume I would want to do them all and I will probably be getting rid of it in the next year. If not, is there a way to disable the light?

Thank You.

The battery in the tire pressure sensor probably just gave out. I believe most people just replace the sensor vs. replacing the battery because it's cheaper and easier. With that said, OEM sensors are fairly pricey. One option is to figure out what the part number is for the OEM sensor, then do a search on ebay, amazon, etc to try to locate a used/refurbished set. I bought a second set of refurbished TPMS sensors to use in my summer wheel setup for less than $100, and they've been working great for the past few years. Alternatively, there are aftermarket TPMS sensors that will also work - Autel is a good brand for those. The only catch is that a tire shop will need to program the sensors for the CX-9, but most tire shops will have the equipment to do it, and in many cases, can do it for free. One other thing to consider is the shop cost to unmount the tires, install the sensors, then remount the tires and rebalance the wheels.

If it were me, knowing I would be getting rid of it in the next year, I'd just ignore the light and do a visual check of the tires every time I use the car to ensure they aren't low on air, and measure and adjust tire pressures every month or so.

Everything Sm1ke said. I don’t have a 2008 CX-9 but on all my cars i don’t have tpms on my winter wheels and run all winter with the tpms light on. No issues at all.

Everything Sm1ke said. I don’t have a 2008 CX-9 but on all my cars i don’t have tpms on my winter wheels and run all winter with the tpms light on. No issues at all.

I should have checked to see which TPMS system the 1st gen CX-9 uses first, but it looks like both gens use the same system (sensors inside tires). Additionally, one website I referenced states that 08-11 CX-9s use TPMS sensors with part number BBM2-37-140B. The sensors I've been using for my summer wheels are BBM2-37-140A. The BBM2-37-140A sensors may actually be compatible with the 08 CX-9 as well.

Back