Tow Hitch

That would help for sure. I open the tailgate when backing up to load the trailer to see what you're doing. You can easily get it centered and close to the trailer coupler. Then it's easy to manually connect the coupler onto the ball especially with a small boat.

Ohh
"I'm looking to install a hitch so I can get a small trailer and like a 10-12ft john boat, along with battery, and small motor all of which should be way under the 3,500 max weight. "
Easy. The most difficult part will be backing it with the poor rear sight lines of the CX9. Think of some visible gizmos you can attach to the back corners of the boat or trailer to give you something to see. (These from HarborFreight are portable for hitch or the back of the trailer.)
View attachment 225871
Really good idea! I will also never being unloading and loading the boat myself, or backing it up myself so I'll have someone with me to direct me.

I will also never being unloading and loading the boat myself, or backing it up myself so I'll have someone with me to direct me.
Years ago I watched somebody with this mind-set sit there waiting for hours for his friend to show up and help him put his boat in the water. Always baffled me why one wouldn't learn to reverse a trailer on their own.

Years ago I watched somebody with this mind-set sit there waiting for hours for his friend to show up and help him put his boat in the water. Always baffled me why one wouldn't learn to reverse a trailer on their own.

ya i don't think I'll have that problem.... its actually my dads fishing boat, but he doesn't have a trailer anymore we would take it out on the water together. also I do plan on learning to drive with a trailer first.

anyone have pics of their car towing a boat?

There used to be one here, but i think the switch to the new forum set-up stripped the picture. This was quite a larger boat than what you are looking to tow (at least 18 feet I think from memory), but you can try sending him a PM if you want. https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/towing-with-your-cx-9.123866108/post-6638423

I rented a trailer a few weeks ago to do some landscaping. It doesn't look like much, but about 2000lbs of paving stone and cement block, and I assume the trailer is at least 1000lbs by itself (5x8 trailer rated to 3700lbs cargo). So I was probably getting close to 3500 lbs. I could feel it in acceleration and braking, and definitely a bit of wheel hop from the front wheel having less weight on them but overall the car didn't really have any issues. The photo is with the trailer loaded.
IMG_5947.JPG

I installed a draw-tite on my wife’s CX-9. You don’t need any special tools. A can of spray lubricant (NOT WD40) and the muffler bushing slid right off the post. Took about 45 minutes and was very easy to install. $80 total for the hitch and $10 for a few beers for myself.

I installed a draw-tite on my wife’s CX-9. You don’t need any special tools. A can of spray lubricant (NOT WD40) and the muffler bushing slid right off the post. Took about 45 minutes and was very easy to install. $80 total for the hitch and $10 for a few beers for myself.
Where did you get the Draw-Tite for $80?!

Amazon had it in a warehouse deal. I got super lucky. The only issue it had (which isn’t an issue), is that temporary plastic cover over the receiver was missing. Everything else was perfect.

Amazon had it in a warehouse deal. I got super lucky. The only issue it had (which isn’t an issue), is that temporary plastic cover over the receiver was missing. Everything else was perfect.
Awesome deal!

FYI. Seems like UHaul is back ordered on tow hitches. I had to cancel my order since they do not have a definite time frame as to when the tow hitch will be available. I might have to go and see if I can get the tow hitch online and install myself. I have no urgency though.

FYI. Seems like UHaul is back ordered on tow hitches. I had to cancel my order since they do not have a definite time frame as to when the tow hitch will be available. I might have to go and see if I can get the tow hitch online and install myself. I have no urgency though.

Thats weird I scheduled my install beginning of last week and have herd no such issue. I'm in MA, and my install is tomorrow morning, guess we will find out when i get there....if it is out of stock im going to be pissed because my dad and I just got a boat and i told them id tow it away tomorrow or tuesday

Thats weird I scheduled my install beginning of last week and have herd no such issue. I'm in MA, and my install is tomorrow morning, guess we will find out when i get there....if it is out of stock im going to be pissed because my dad and I just got a boat and i told them id tow it away tomorrow or tuesday
Yeah, they will allow ordering and scheduling but whether the hitch is actually shipped to UHaul is a different matter altogether. I would call them and see if they already have the hitch in the store. At least, you’ll actually know if you’re good to go (or not) for tomorrow.

Yeah, they will allow ordering and scheduling but whether the hitch is actually shipped to UHaul is a different matter altogether. I would call them and see if they already have the hitch in the store. At least, you’ll actually know if you’re good to go (or not) for tomorrow.

I ended up just showing up, and they told me the hitch is on back order. I gave them some heat and told them they should have notified me then, like I bought a boat and wanted to pick that up today too. Told them if they couldn't find one to install they better be rending me a truck for free, and they found a hitch at another location and are installing it on my car now.

I ended up just showing up, and they told me the hitch is on back order. I gave them some heat and told them they should have notified me then, like I bought a boat and wanted to pick that up today too. Told them if they couldn't find one to install they better be rending me a truck for free, and they found a hitch at another location and are installing it on my car now.
Interesting. I didn’t push too hard since I don’t have the urgency that you had. I’ll call around to see if any of the locations have a hitch in stock or could, at least, give me an idea when the hitches would come in. Thanks.

FYI, there is a national shortage on hitches this year. Too many people not going to work and wanting to tow things. Orders are starting to move, slowly, but backorders are off the charts.

So on another post... https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/ind...s-recommendations-install-question.123872794/
... I had posted about my interest in crossbars for transporting wood/sheet goods... Reading this thread now has me interested in hitches instead...

My first question is...what do you all think? What would be more (crossbars vs. hitch) appropriate for occasional transport of wood/sheet goods? What is the more versatile option? I haven't done any transporting of sorts so this is all new to me..

Regarding hitches, I'm interested in the draw-tite... I know many people have mentioned they did it themselves and I even watched the installation video.. It definitely seems diy-capable... Having said that, I'm not a mechanic and don't own a lot of tools for automotive tinkering... Will this pose a problem?

Lastly, does U-Haul actually install draw-tite? I saw the 2" hitch on their website and it says Manufacturer Part No. 76020, which I think is Draw-tite, but then the picture seems different. Also, how in the world are you all getting cheaper $ including installation??! I attempted to schedule purchase -+ installation online and my quote came out to be $300+! Is it dependent on the area you're in??

Installation Package

Product subtotal: $184.90

Installation fee: $128.00

Tax: $25.81

Total: $338.71

The above is just for the Hitch and the Curt 56338 Wiring. Does not include ball mount, hitch ball or pin and clip.

Thanks guys!

What do you plan on putting on the hitch to transport the sheet goods? If it's a trailer you'll need the wiring as well. The only things that I can think of that don't need the wiring are bike racks and small 'platforms' that attach to the receiver. Neither seems very suitable for your needs as far as I can tell.

With regard to the install, it's not really that difficult on the first gen models. I did mine myself and hoisting the tow bar into position was the hardest part as I only had the vehicle up on ramps. My 2012 was also pre-wired for the OEM hitch harness so that was not a problem either as that was 'plug and play'. Basic tools and some common sense are all you'll likely need for the hitch.

Back