2017~2024 Torque for wheel bolts question

:
Miata and CX-5
An Oil Change shop guy had his wrench set at 100 when rotating my 2019 CX-5 tires. The manual reads a range of 80-108.

Is the 100 the guy did too tight? If so, what is the negative of too much torque used?

Thanks,
DG

If you are between the 80 to 108 there are no issues. They will be harder to remove, but less likely to come loose.

Sound like the proper torque. Too much torque can cause the brake disk to warp when it gets hot. Ed

Both my 2011 Miata and my 2016 Infiniti QX50 is spec'd at 80-85 - go figure

I always do 100ft-lb with my torque wrench. No problem.
More important to be even on all bolts than the any absolute value within range.

I always do 100ft-lb with my torque wrench. No problem.
More important to be even on all bolts than the any absolute value within range.

Sorry, I've never used a torque wrench.
The employee at the oil change shop used a power tool to remove the bolts/tires. He finished the installation using a manual torque wrench to tighten the bolts. When using a manual wrench how does one know which ft-lb number is accomplished ?

There is a dial on the torque wrench to adjust it to the value you want. Then the torque wrench make a clicking sound when you reach that torque value.

There is a dial on the torque wrench to adjust it to the value you want. Then the torque wrench make a clicking sound when you reach that torque value.

Thanks for the information. I watched the guy as he was using the wrench. He counted off each of the 5 bolts, and I did hear the wrench make a clicking noise. Prior to him doing the work his supervisior had told him to set the wrench at 100.

Back