Tire time

utmorpheus

:
13 Mz2 Touring MTX
Since Discount Tire Direct is going to have some obscene sale this weekend on wheels I'm going to pick up a set of Konig Feathers (15x7.5) and I'm looking as to what shoes to wrap around them. They will be used mainly for poor weather DD and AutoX(on a Miata). I'm going to get 205/50-15 sized so the speedo is at least somewhat accurate. So out of the following what would you all recommend: ZII, RE-11A, Rivals.

Friday, February 14th through Monday, February 17th, 2014, take advantage of these great offers!
$75 Visa Prepaid Card
• Any 4 BFGoodrich, Continental, Dunlop, Goodyear, or Pirelli tires (excludes ATV & Trailer tires)

$50 Visa Prepaid Card
• Any 4 Bridgestone, Cooper, Falken, General, Hankook, Kumho, Nitto, Vogue, or Yokohama tires (excludes ATV & Trailer tires)

$75 Instant Savings
• Any 4 Beyern, Black Rhino, Coventry, Cray, Genius, Huntington, Lumarai, Mandrus, Redbourne, TSW, or Victor Equipment wheels

$50 Instant Savings
• All other wheels (excludes above brands, Unique, & Cragar Black Soft 8)

Use Your CarCareONE Card
Get an additional $30 on 4 tires and $30 on 4 wheels when using your Discount Tire CarCareONE card!

Problem is all the tires in 195/50-15 or 205/50-15 are either all-season, low-end Summer, or track tires. Nothing that will work well as a DD and high performance Summer tire.

(The Feathers are $89 each with free shipping, so knock $80 off the total price and only an idiot would pass up a deal like that.)

I'm pretty sure the feathers are 15x6.5 only. If you want 7.5" wide I like the konig lightspeeds and have had them on my 2 and my miata. I've been wanting to try the re-11A's. Have to wear out the current BFG's I have mounted though. For auto-x purposes you might be better off running a 195 width, especially if wheel width is smaller than 7.5".

I've seen better deals from discount tire than what is available now, but their sales are usually pretty good. They've swayed me in the past.

Last edited:
So out of the following what would you all recommend: ZII, RE-11A, Rivals.

Flip a 3 sided coin..They all have their own pros and cons...I've had all 3, and the Rivals suit me best, although I have a set of the stock all seasons, which are on the car the majority of the year. There is a pretty in depth thread somewhere in the Tire section covering this exact question..

I'm pretty sure the feathers are 15x6.5 only. If you want 7.5" wide I like the konig lightspeeds and have had them on my 2 and my miata. I've been wanting to try the re-11A's. Have to wear out the current BFG's I have mounted though. For auto-x purposes you might be better off running a 195 width, especially if wheel width is smaller than 7.5".

I've seen better deals from discount tire than what is available now, but their sales are usually pretty good. They've swayed me in the past.

Indeed, I meant 6.5, but my fat fingers decided different. I will consider the 195 width as that is what's stock on the NB1 Miata, and they're a bit cheaper. I plan on getting the tires from Tire Rack(as they have a vastly better selection), however I just cannot pass up this deal on wheels. Especially since they're 8-spoke 4-lug wheels; I mean COME ON people, how hard is it to make a symmetrical wheel?!

I'm coming from the Star Specs, and those were very good in all DD conditions. When on the AutoX course I felt the wheels seemed to be near their limit quicker than the rivals on another 2. Then again the Star Specs had three years of DD and almost 15k on them. I would jump on the ZII's but I have heard they tend to get sloppy in the heat after a few runs on the course, which is why I'm looking at the Rivals and RE-11A in the first place.

I'm thinking of finally springing for some wheels, myself. Likely the Lightspeeds. If I do that right now, though, I'm also thinking I'll just have my stock tires transferred over. I know they're crap, but I'll get them replaced just a little further down the road when they're more worn and I can justify it to my wife and wallet better.

Definitely go 195 on and 6.5 wheel. Try calling DTD instead of ordering online. You can order stuff that isn't on the site and probably even get a deal on the whole package.

As for the tires you mentioned you really can't do better than the RE-11A. Most high performance tires have huge extremes and make compromises. I think the RE-11A is the most balanced and I like that it isn't directional so you can cross-rotate.

Oh yeah and I've heard of people getting that stupid credit car they offer, paying off the tires, then cancelling it, just to get the deal.

Oh yeah and I've heard of people getting that stupid credit car they offer, paying off the tires, then cancelling it, just to get the deal.

I did this in the fall to get the winter tires for my Buick, I paid it off last Friday and was about to cancel it until I got this promo email.

I pulled the trigger. On both wheels and tires. Getting the Konig Lightspeeds with Nitto Neogens. I was going to just move my stock tires over, but then had second thoughts about putting them on a 7.5" rim. The Nittos are 205's.

I gave my 2 some love today.

2013MZ2_zps190bb5a4.png

Got my Feather's into the mail today. DTD is not able to order the Rival or RE-11A, so I'm probably just going to wait and see if Tire Rack puts up any sales or free ship codes. Pretty much sold on the RE-11A. Rival is nice, but I can't justify the larger size and weight with how low HP the car is.

Last edited:
My Lightspeeds are on back order. They said 45 days. Not bothering me too much, though. At least I got the deal.

Try calling DTD instead of ordering online. You can order stuff that isn't on the site and probably even get a deal on the whole package.

Damn, I should have thought of that when I ordered my lightspeeds. Might have been able to get flatouts instead (for the NB). Definately going to call next time.

Got my Feather's into the mail today. DTD is not able to order the Rival or RE-11A, so I'm probably just going to wait and see if Tire Rack puts up any sales or free ship codes. Pretty much sold on the RE-11A. Rival is nice, but I can't justify the larger size and weight with how low HP the car is.

Got a Costco nearby? They can order you the RE11A for $121 each and you get a road hazard warranty with it.

Damn, I should have thought of that when I ordered my lightspeeds. Might have been able to get flatouts instead (for the NB). Definately going to call next time.

Yeah even if that fails try going into your nearest Americas Tire/Discount Tire. Technically they aren't connected to the online business so if they quote you a higher price show em the online price and they'll match it. Here in the bay area we have a local Rota dealer so the ATC down the street can special order Rotas.

Calling DTD gives you some dope that says "if it's not on the website we can't get it". I tried twice and got two different dopes who said the same thing.

No Costco nearby, but it may be worth the trip when I go to visit family in Charlotte for the 4-wide drag races in April.

Calling DTD gives you some dope that says "if it's not on the website we can't get it". I tried twice and got two different dopes who said the same thing.

No Costco nearby, but it may be worth the trip when I go to visit family in Charlotte for the 4-wide drag races in April.

That's surprising. Although back when I used to work for ATC we had all kinds of stuff listed on the site that ins't there anymore. I wonder if they are focusing more on Toyo, Yoko, Falken, and Kumho now. I know that my old ATC was able to get Falken tires the same day and sold them at really low prices.

I would highly recommend buying from Costco. They charge $15 to install the tires and you get a lot of benefits. ATC will charge more to install tires bought from outside the shop i.e. Tire Rack purchases. One drawback is if there aren't any Costcos close by, you'll have to make the journey every time you get a flat, need a rotation, get a blowout, etc.

I have a Firestone credit card from a couple years ago that I never canceled. I'm going to see if they'll cut me a deal. If not I'll just hit up Tire Rack, despite the insane shipping. FWIW I was able to ship an entire Miata transmission from TX to NY for $18, and they charge nearly $60 for CT to NY.

Back