Tire Rub Help

Hello, I have a 2002 bright yellow P5 and I got new wheels and suspension for the car about 2 months ago. I bought a set of JNC005 18x9 +34mm and they have 225/40 tires on them and I also bought a set of D2 protege racing coilovers. I thought I would be set and ready to have a fun time with my new-ish looking car but the storm was yet to come. After installation at a local low-rider shop, the bolts on EVERYTHING weren't tightened properly and so the car sounded like a tin can full of rocks and I noticed as soon as I got home that there were cuts already forming in my tires. I brought the car back the next day and they tightened the bolts and also "fixed" the rubbing by lifting the car. The thing is is that they didn't lift the car at all and now I have a -2 degree camber on the back right wheel and a +2 degree on the back left (what the hell) and my car still rubs like crazy. I had to fill my gas tank and once I did that it added another 100 pounds to the back of the car and so at that point the car was undrivable because of the rubbing/cutting. This was about 1 month ago and so I had my parents drive me everywhere. Fast forward to last week and I got myself a fender roller from Eastwood and the necessary tools. THE TIRES STILL RUB and my friend and I lifted the car as well and it's still bad. Oddly enough, the rubbing is only super bad on the back right wheel with the -2 degree camber and i thought the camber would help in this situation. The camber bolts are now too tight to be adjust by a hand wrench so an impact gun would be the best try at that but I have no clue if I should be spending that kind of money. so here's my thoughts, should I try to adjust the camber so the wheels tuck correctly (as of now the wheels poke about .5 inch out of the fenders which is ridiculous), should I try to pull my fenders after I have rolled them, or should I just put my factory wheels on and forget all of this? I need answers and help fast. Thank you. (PS. the shop didn't even tell me how much they lowered the car, they just threw it at me and asked for the $900)

Honestly, you put too large a wheel and then lowered the car???

Maybe the shop knows how badly they screwed up the car and want nothing more to do with it.

You might have to find a real suspension shop and have them align and set the height correctly. Also that low offsett sets the tire too far out, should be +45mm. see HERE

Yeah, you'll be out another Benjamin or two but consider it lesson learned.

I think I would recommend taking it to a real shop with a reputation of actually working on and repairing cars. Not a lowrider shop. Those guys have no more training than bubba out in the back yard working in a patch of dirt. Sure he can lower a car or lift a truck, but that doesn't mean it's anywhere near "right". I'd take it to a professional that actually knows what they're doing. Don't try and mess with suspension and steering stuff yourself, you may be able to get it to "simply not rub" but that still doesn't mean it's right. And you'll learn that quickly after about 5k miles when the belts are starting to wear through the inside of your tires because of piss poor alignment.

Yikes.

What did you pay $900 for exactly?

For future reference - get the suspension and wheels on, and get an alignment immediately afterwards. Have cash ready in case the shop isn't able to get the specs correct with the OEM equipment and you have to buy adjustable camber arms.

Back