2017~2024 Tire Recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:
2017 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Have a 2017 CX-5 Touring with Yokohama Geolander G91 tires (P225/65R17). Those tires are quiet, but certainly didn't last more than 35,000 miles. I feel okay forgiving mileage as long as the tires are quiet, and looking for other alternatives if you're willing to share your experience. Snow driving required for several months of the year.

Last edited:
Have a 2017 CX-5 Touring with Yokohama Geolander G91 tires (P225/65R17). Those tires are quiet, but certainly didn't last more than 35,000 miles. I feel okay forgiving mileage as long as the tires are quiet, and looking for other alternatives if you're willing to share your experience. Snow driving required for several months of the year.
For 225/65R17, here’s a partial list of comparison table:

225/65R17 Comparison Table

People here like Continental CrossContact LX25 ($138.99 each at Tire Rack and there’s manufacture $70 Visa Prepaid Card by 8/31/2020) and General AltiMAX RT43 ($116.99 each at Tire Rack). Both rated highly on Tire Rack's Tire Ratings Charts for size 225/65R17 in different category, and both are better choice on performance and cost for size 225/65R17 IMO. Make sure to get H-rated tires for either one as both have T-rated on the same size but the performance is worse.

Here's Tire Ratings Charts from Tire Rack for Crossover/SUV touring all-season category on 225/65R17 tires:

C5A8C885-0A88-445D-BF90-C5182938C276.jpeg

I'm going with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all weather on my Touring. They're being mounted next Thursday. I'll drop a post and let anybody who's interested know how they are.

I'm going with the Pirelli Scorpion Verde all weather on my Touring. They're being mounted next Thursday. I'll drop a post and let anybody who's interested know how they are.
..HI please let me know how the Pirelli's work out...i have s set on Pirelli scorpions on my F150 and love them.....I have the 2019 CX5 GTR and the stock Toyo tires vibrate at 60+ mph....

..HI please let me know how the Pirelli's work out...i have s set on Pirelli scorpions on my F150 and love them.....I have the 2019 CX5 GTR and the stock Toyo tires vibrate at 60+ mph....
Had the Pirelli's mounted on my 16 Touring last Thursday. The Touring is 17" so it's a little different from the 19" that's pretty standard now. Haven't put a lot of mileage but first impressions are -- smooth ride, good gripping. Took the car out Saturday morning, was raining and the roads were slick.
Took it down through the woods near my house and gassed it through the curves. It stuck to the road with no detectable slippage at all. So first impressions are good. Had the dealer get the tires and install with an alignment and their price was pretty close to the independent tire shops.
If they hold up I'll probably put them on our GTR in the 19" size.

225/55R19 tire used on the CX-5, including your 2019 CX-5 GT-R, is not a popular size like 225/65R17 used on lower trimmed CX-5. Selection is limited. Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus II is a Crossover/SUV Touring All-Season tire but it doesn’t offer size 225/55R19 used on your CX-5 GT-R.

If you’ve already tried to re-balance your factory Toyo A36’s with road force balancing, and you still feel vibration at 60+ mph, you may consider to try Michelin Premier LTX which is a popular model available from Michelin for the size of 225/55R19. LTX is expensive with shorter tread-life based on reviews. But this’s the only tire claimed by some CX-5 GT-R and Sig owners here that eventually resolved the vibration issue!

225/55R19 Tire Comparison Table for CX-5 GT - Many to Choose From

Tire Rack 225/55R19 Tire Ratings Charts

For 225/65R17, here’s a partial list of comparison table:

225/65R17 Comparison Table

People here like Continental CrossContact LX25 ($138.99 each at Tire Rack and there’s manufacture $70 Visa Prepaid Card by 8/31/2020) and General AltiMAX RT43 ($116.99 each at Tire Rack). Both rated highly on Tire Rack's Tire Ratings Charts for size 225/65R17 in different category, and both are better choice on performance and cost for size 225/65R17 IMO. Make sure to get H-rated tires for either one as both have T-rated on the same size but the performance is worse.

Here's Tire Ratings Charts from Tire Rack for Crossover/SUV touring all-season category on 225/65R17 tires:

View attachment 226154
I just priced the Conti cross contact LX25 at tirerack and they are now listed at $195....had a long conversation with Toyo today regarding their junk A36 on the CX5....they said have the dealership inspect them for balance and if defective they will replace that particular tire ..

I just priced the Conti cross contact LX25 at tirerack and they are now listed at $195....
And a $70 Visa gift card from manufacture by Aug. 31. Go to your local Discount Tire Store / America’s Tire Store to get your tires and they’ll do price match against any tire sellers.

I just priced the Conti cross contact LX25 at tirerack and they are now listed at $195....had a long conversation with Toyo today regarding their junk A36 on the CX5....they said have the dealership inspect them for balance and if defective they will replace that particular tire ..
How many miles do you have on your CX-5? Here’s the TSB / M-Tips for your issue:

M-Tips No.: MT-012/18 BODY VIBRATION OR STEERING WHEEL SHIMMY

Make sure to ask your dealer to use a Hunter GSP9700 or equivalent Road Force Balancer to do road force balance on your tires like the M-Tips mentioned.

Here’s a thread about the issue. 2001birdowner got a set of Michelin tires from Mazda USA which fixed the vibration problem at the 55 mph:

Steering Wheel Vibration

And here’s a long thread about your vibration issue:

19 Signature Vibration/Shake

Video of Out-of-Round Toyo A36 on my 2018 Mazda CX-5

Here's Tire Ratings Charts from Tire Rack for Crossover/SUV touring all-season category on 225/65R17 tires....
Keep in mind those are user ratings, but still a top source. Consumer Reports is a good reference but they don't review many tires.

To some degree it's a crap shoot because tires can perform differently on different vehicles. OEM tires are selected (or specified) by the manufacturer for specific ride and handling characteristics for that model, often to impress in the test drive, so that tells you something. I can't say I've ever gotten good mileage out of OEM tires, Michelins, Yokos and others I've forgotten. Then in the aftermarket as replacements I've found OEMs to be expensive, like the Geolanders that also get poor ratings on Tire Rack.

If there are enough Tire Rack reviews for the model in question, that might tell you something. Otherwise you might as well just pick your spec/price/performance point and go with that, keeping in mind your driving conditions. For example, if you live down south and see little or no snow you're not going to care about the snow performance rating.

Personally, I've always been satified with Continentals for replacements on a variety cars and would stick with them in the future if the ratings hold up. Once upon a time they were among the more expensive tires. Not so much anymore.

How many miles do you have on your CX-5? Here’s the TSB / M-Tips for your issue:

M-Tips No.: MT-012/18 BODY VIBRATION OR STEERING WHEEL SHIMMY

Make sure to ask your dealer to use a Hunter GSP9700 or equivalent Road Force Balancer to do road force balance on your tires like the M-Tips mentioned.

Here’s a thread about the issue. 2001birdowner got a set of Michelin tires from Mazda USA which fixed the vibration problem at the 55 mph:

Steering Wheel Vibration

And here’s a long thread about your vibration issue:

19 Signature Vibration/Shake

Video of Out-of-Round Toyo A36 on my 2018 Mazda CX-5
I just had the Toyo A36 tires road force balanced at the Mazda Dealer....all 4 tires were way out of spec aka not round...the rear passenger was the worst recording a 32....the others were a 20....Toyo rep claims any tire 35 or under is acceptable ..2 chain tire shops said 20 or higher should never be put on a vehicle...the tire that recorded a 32 should be thrown in the trash as its impossible to balance as its NOT or EVER will be round.........Toyo is a disgrace and so is Mazda for choosing this junk tire.....

I just had the Toyo A36 tires road force balanced at the Mazda Dealer....all 4 tires were way out of spec aka not round...the rear passenger was the worst recording a 32....the others were a 20....Toyo rep claims any tire 35 or under is acceptable ..2 chain tire shops said 20 or higher should never be put on a vehicle...the tire that recorded a 32 should be thrown in the trash as its impossible to balance as its NOT or EVER will be round.........Toyo is a disgrace and so is Mazda for choosing this junk tire.....
It’s unfortunate Toyo refused to help you on your OEM A36’s. Sometimes the rim may also contribute the vibration but that’s less likely, Over 20 lbs on road force balance certainly is not a good number, you can keep fighting and escalate the issue to the superior on both sides, MNAO and Toyo, but it’s going to take your time and effort. Depending on your mileage (you’ve never mentioned), you can just live with the vibration at 60 mph until you need a new tires; or you can get a new set of good V-rated name brand tires such as Continental CrossContact LX25, or Michelin Premier LTX from a good tire shop such as Discount Tire Store right now. If your CX-5 is still having the same vibration issue, they can help you to resolve the problem for free, and you can even return the new tires for refund and put back your old Toyo A36 tires (so make sure to keep them until you‘ve verified the new tires do eliminate the vibration). Doing this at least you can find where the culprit is and it’s not from tires but from rims or something else.

Last edited:
How many miles on those Toyos?

It’s unfortunate Toyo refused to help you on your OEM A36’s. Sometimes the rim may also contribute the vibration but that’s less likely, Over 20 lbs on road force balance certainly is not a good number, you can keep fighting and escalate the issue to the superior on both sides, MNAO and Toyo, but it’s going to take your time and effort. Depending on your mileage (you’ve never mentioned), you can just live with the vibration at 60 mph until you need a new tires; or you can get a new set of good V-rated name brand tires such as Continental CrossContact LX25, or Michelin Premier LTX from a good tire shop such as Discount Tire Store right now. If your CX-5 is still having the same vibration issue, they can help you to resolve the problem for free, and you can even return the new tires for refund and put back your old Toyo A36 tires (so make sure to keep them until you‘ve verified the new tires do eliminate the vibration). Doing this at least you can find where the culprit is and it’s not from tires but from rims or something else.
The mileage on the 2019 CX5 is 6700....my son drives the vehicle ...as a young driver , he thought the vibration was normal ...until i recently drove it on the highway and felt the vibration at 55+....mazda dealer did a full safety check of the vehicle and rims and it is 100% the tires that are out of round ...when the Toyo rep stated that mid 30's is acceptable....just shows what a joke the company is...

I just got the $70 rebate Visa card from Continental for the set of Cross contact LX25 s I bought. It didn't even take a month although they said it would be 8-12 weeks.

I went for a short drive on the interstate. They are pretty quiet and no vibration.

The mileage on the 2019 CX5 is 6700....my son drives the vehicle ...as a young driver , he thought the vibration was normal ...until i recently drove it on the highway and felt the vibration at 55+....mazda dealer did a full safety check of the vehicle and rims and it is 100% the tires that are out of round ...when the Toyo rep stated that mid 30's is acceptable....just shows what a joke the company is...
Yeah, that's garbage. If it was 25,000 miles I'd kinda shrug given how often OEM tires are selected for anything but quality and longevity including car manfucturers with a quality reputation. The test drive is what matters most to all of them.

Did you speak directly to the rep or was that communicated through the dealer? If not I'd go to Toyo directly. If you spoke to the rep directly I'd take a shot at going over his head, the ol' I want to speak to a manager. Often the higher up the food chain you go there is more accomodation. You could skip all the in between and try to get traction at Toyo's US headquarters. Don't yell at anybody no matter what but persistance in the face of "no" sometimes pays off. If all else fails you could go to Mazda district or US HQ and complain to them.

My wife is pretty good at this stuff and I've taken some lessons from her. It doesn't often work but sometimes it does if you catch the right ear.

Last edited by a moderator:

My wife is pretty good at this stuff and I've taken some lessons from her. It doesn't often work but sometimes it does if you catch the right ear.
Exactly! A different Toyo rep may handle the same matter differently, so as a superior.

I forgot to mention another idea. Try to find the name of a higher up at Toyo USA, preferably somebody in operations not marketing. Write a detailed letter carefully laying out your case step by step. Sound as lawyerly as possible, none of that "I can't believe you people, yada, yada". Then send it in a typed envelope certified mail. There is a high probability he will get it personally and read it.

I've done this once and it worked when I was getting price gouged on an out-of-network medical bill. I explained in great detail that I knew what they were doing based on some research. I enclosed a check for what I explained was more than fair. They cashed the check, the dunning disappeared from the credit report that had appeared after some guy on the phone said "no", and I never heard another peep.

An underling might call you to get you satisfied and out of the bosses hair. If your letter has the ring of a persistent person who won't take no for an answer your odds are pretty fair. That guy does not want to spend time reading the next certified letter.

It just boils down to how much time you want to spend. I'm personally not one of those "it's the priciple of the thing" guys. It's got to be worth the time and aggrevation monetarily speaking. In this case it might be partial credit toward a new set of Toyos, so if you don't see a set you'd want to have there's that to consider.

Last edited by a moderator:
......so now i have an order in for Continental tires......
Look at the brighter side, you now have a set of much better Conti tires for your son to drive. And don’t forget to get your $70 rebate Visa card!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back