Tire recommendations needed for 2016.5 CX-5 GT AWD

continental lx25 or the pirelli scorpion 3 plus are the top choices that Tirerack will recommend, at least for 19"

Discount tire currently has a nice discount on the Pirellis.
Those are my 2 top picks as of now. I put the LX25's on my wife's Outback & really like them. I have extremely low miles (13,600) on my 2019 GTR but I'm increasingly displeased with the stock Toyo A36's.

I just replaced my stock Toyos (45,000 miles) with the Pirelli Scorpion 3's.
So far they feel smoother and sound quieter than the Toyos, but that might be placebo.

Btw, Sam's club is offering $100 off on a set of 4, and I asked the guy at Discount Tire if he would match that price, and he did.

I just replaced my stock Toyos (45,000 miles) with the Pirelli Scorpion 3's.
So far they feel smoother and sound quieter than the Toyos, but that might be placebo.

Btw, Sam's club is offering $100 off on a set of 4, and I asked the guy at Discount Tire if he would match that price, and he did.
The Scorpions are good tires. I've put about 20,000 miles on them so far and they still feel close to the way they did new. Tread still looks brand new.

there are lots of positive reviews for those tires but there are some scattered bad ones on tire rack. Like balance issues and, certain noises after miles or tire tracking on certain highways.

One thing is sure they are better than the Toyos but how do they compare to other Top models.
To me a tire that lasts 70k gets a bit plastic over time. But thats just my experience with past Pirelli models.
Whats are the cons if any?

Reactions: E_N
I just ordered these from Tire Rack yesterday. After they are installed, I'll follow up with some initial impressions. My current 19" tires are Yokohama 740 GTX (from Discount Tire) that I installed in 2016. After about 50K miles, they are down to about 3-4/32nds and they have been noisy for a while now too. That said, they were an excellent tire and fully equal to, or better than, the original A23s on my CX-5 as far as handling was concerned. They have a UTQG of 740 A A. The new Michelins are 500 AA A, so I expect faster wear but excellent handling. I switch to 17" Blizzak tires for our MN winters, so I am not concerned with winter performance with my summer tires.

I just ordered these from Tire Rack yesterday. After they are installed, I'll follow up with some initial impressions. My current 19" tires are Yokohama 740 GTX (from Discount Tire) that I installed in 2016. After about 50K miles, they are down to about 3-4/32nds and they have been noisy for a while now too. That said, they were an excellent tire and fully equal to, or better than, the original A23s on my CX-5 as far as handling was concerned. They have a UTQG of 740 A A. The new Michelins are 500 AA A, so I expect faster wear but excellent handling. I switch to 17" Blizzak tires for our MN winters, so I am not concerned with winter performance with my summer tires.
Yokohama 740 GTX has 60,000 mile warranty from Discount Tire. If you’d get the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4’s from DT you’ll get 1/6 (16.67%) mileage credit (you used 50K miles) of original purchase price of the Yoko’s toward your next new tire purchase from them. DT keeps all the records and they’ll figure out the final price for you. DT will match $240.99 from Tire Rack if their price is higher. Of course the life-time free tire flat repair、rotation、and balancing are included with installation charge.

Yokohama 740 GTX has 60,000 mile warranty from Discount Tire. If you’d get the Michelin Pilot Sport AS4’s from DT you’ll get 1/6 (16.67%) mileage credit (you used 50K miles) of original purchase price of the Yoko’s toward your next new tire purchase from them. DT keeps all the records and they’ll figure out the final price for you. DT will match $240.99 from Tire Rack if their price is higher. Of course the life-time free tire flat repair、rotation、and balancing are included with installation charge.
2 issues I have with your plan. First, the Yokohama warranty is only for 60 months from purchase - I'm way past that. And second, the young kids they have working at my local discount tire are not very careful with the wheels, so I don't like going there. I'm having the tires delivered to my house and then I'm having a mobile install guy come and mount them here.

2 issues I have with your plan. First, the Yokohama warranty is only for 60 months from purchase - I'm way past that.
As far as I know this 60,000-mile warranty on Yokohama 740 GTX for mileage credit is used by Discount Tire / America’s Tire itself only and isn’t related by the tire manufacture. it has no time limit other than if the tires are more than 10 years old. I’ve been using this mileage credit since 1990’s and have never been mentioned on time limit by DT.

2 issues I have with your plan. First, the Yokohama warranty is only for 60 months from purchase - I'm way past that. And second, the young kids they have working at my local discount tire are not very careful with the wheels, so I don't like going there. I'm having the tires delivered to my house and then I'm having a mobile install guy come and mount them here.
same here. The new hires (kids
mostly) are not careful. I went for rotation and my brand new black wheels are now scratched to the metal near the lug nuts holes. Next time for new tires either mobile installer or I may try Costco.

Please, post your impression of the Pilot sport 4 A/S when you could.

As far as I know this 60,000-mile warranty on Yokohama 740 GTX for mileage credit is used by Discount Tire / America’s Tire itself only and isn’t related by the tire manufacture. it has no time limit other than if the tires are more than 10 years old. I’ve been using this mileage credit since 1990’s and have never been mentioned on time limit by DT.
Perhaps that is just a function of your local DT for a good customer? The paperwork on my tires is confusing at best. In one case it lists under "Limited Warranties" the "New Tires - Mileage Warranty" the pro-rata pricing adjustment that you mention. Then further below, still under the "Limited Warranties" heading, the "Duration of Coverage" paragraph says: "These warranties expire (3) years from the date of purchase." So basically, who knows what they mean. All of this is a moot point for me anyway as the tires have been shipped and I hope to have them installed on Friday.

Oh, and one other complicating factor would be how many miles are on the tires. They were installed at 39,703 miles. I now have 122,480 on the odometer, so they would probably just say "You sure got your money's worth!" ;)

I noticed in a recent Costco advertisement that it looks like they're upping their tire game. What they offer, what they do... etc

I noticed in a recent Costco advertisement that it looks like they're upping their tire game. What they offer, what they do... etc
Yeah, “free” installation is one, and free 5-year road hazard warranty ⋯

Here's my initial impressions of the Michelin Pilot Sport All Season 4 tires that I had installed last week. I've got about 200 miles on them now. They are much quieter than the Yokohamas that I took off, but pretty much ANY new tire I put on would have been quieter than them! To be certain, these are not whisper quiet tires - you can definitely hear them, but it is muted and not annoying. Excellent road grip/tracking so far (but again, new treads). They ride firm, but not harsh, and you do feel the bumps, but you also get good steering feedback. They are made in Mexico, which surprised me a bit, but I guess I didn't know where Michelins are made. They are definitely "fresh" as they were made in week 26 of 2023 (6/6/23 - 7/2/23). All in all, I'm satisfied with my purchase.

On a side note, I'm also glad I had a mobile installer come to mount them (vs going to the tire shop). I figured that since it's a one-man operation in the mobile truck that they'd send a good, experienced tech. And they did - he was excellent. He showed up exactly on time and it only took him 30 minutes. A+

NewMichelinTires.jpg

...On a side note, I'm also glad I had a mobile installer come to mount them (vs going to the tire shop). ...

Did your mobile installer clean those wheels inside & out for you or do you just always keep them that clean as a course of habit?

Did your mobile installer clean those wheels inside & out for you or do you just always keep them that clean as a course of habit?
No, he didn't. Since I have 2 sets of wheels (these original 19" for the summer, and an OEM 17" new-car-takeoff set that I bought shortly after I got my CX-5 for my winter tires), I thoroughly clean and wax each set when I take them off and before I store them in the rack I made in my garage. It's a lot of work, but a labor of love I suppose.

@minnesotaart , Yeah, I wash my wheels in and out when I rotate them. That would be above and beyond for the mobile tire installer to do that but would be another benefit to use them. They sure look nice though. 👍

Back