Tire Pressure

I think you're fine running the recommended pressure. That's what I've always done and haven't had this outside wear problem..... If your alignment is good, your suspension is in good order, and you rotate your tires like you should you should be fine on wear.

Some advantages of running higher pressure

Increased fuel economy
more responsive feel (b/c the tire flexes less and responds faster)

Some disadvantages

reduced grip (b/c the tire can't flex and stay in contact with the road as well)
increased risk of impact damage
The car is brand new with yoko from original.

Summers get very hot and humid ,doesnt that increase psi ?

Thats some very good information!

I have a 2017 cx 5 and just switched from winters to the all seasons brand new tires OEM

Maybe i will add some air to get 36 on them .

But why does the dealer insist the recommended 34 , its like you feel guilty if you do the opposite of what they say lol

34 is what the manufacturer recommends for 17” I believe. 36 isn’t a significant change and is likely just fine. Going to say 39 as you were before is a much larger increase.

Now if you’re lazy about checking them and topping up for like 6 months they’ll probably get low and you could have wear issues.

34 is what the manufacturer recommends for 17” I believe. 36 isn’t a significant change and is likely just fine. Going to say 39 as you were before is a much larger increase.

Now if you’re lazy about checking them and topping up for like 6 months they’ll probably get low and you could have wear issues.
Yes 39 worried me especially on hot summer days and long drives ..

Thanks for the good advice !

I'll give an example. On my MKV Rabbit, which had 16" wheels, the recommended pressure was 34 psi. The dealer would always inflate to 38, which is the recommendation for a GTI with 18" wheels. I noticed right away that I had less lateral grip and would have to re-adjust. When I switched from the OE Conti ProContacts to ExtremeContacts that had a softer sidewall I didn't like how it felt at 34. As a result I increased to 35 which tightened it up a bit without noticeably compromising the grip. Those tires wore evenly. The moral here is there is definitely a range and not just one specific PSI that's right. It can be affected by the tire but it won't be a huge swing in my experience. You may just want to experiment with it a bit. I don't expect you'll have wear problems if you don't deviate too far from the recommendation.

I'll give an example. On my MKV Rabbit, which had 16" wheels, the recommended pressure was 34 psi. The dealer would always inflate to 38, which is the recommendation for a GTI with 18" wheels. I noticed right away that I had less lateral grip and would have to re-adjust. When I switched from the OE Conti ProContacts to ExtremeContacts that had a softer sidewall I didn't like how it felt at 34. As a result I increased to 35 which tightened it up a bit without noticeably compromising the grip. Those tires wore evenly. The moral here is there is definitely a range and not just one specific PSI that's right. It can be affected by the tire but it won't be a huge swing in my experience. You may just want to experiment with it a bit. I don't expect you'll have wear problems if you don't deviate too far from the recommendation.
Just wished the cx 5 would have tire pressure readings like most other brands in its category.

Im just the type to listen to what the dealers says .

Yea, that would be nice. I have a nice gauge with bleeder valve and a compressor in my garage. I try to check and adjust as needed about once a month. A basic air compressor that will be fine for the job can be had for under $50. I got mine from Harbor Freight.

Just wished the cx 5 would have tire pressure readings like most other brands in its category.

Im just the type to listen to what the dealers says .
This is the pressure early this morning before driving.
02c2bfde6c5e517baaaa3ff55fbcf6b8.jpg

Disadvantages of Overinflation
An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when running over potholes or debris in the road. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities well, causing them to ride harsher. However, higher inflation pressures usually provide an improvement in steering response and cornering stability up to a point. This is why participants who use street tires in autocrosses, track events and road races run higher than normal inflation pressures. The pressure must be checked with a quality air gauge as the inflation pressure cannot be accurately estimated through visual inspection.

Disadvantages of Overinflation ⋯
The definition of "overinflation" is a dynamic term, and can't be defined by a single factory recommended tire pressure such as anything over 34 psi on our 17" tires. It also depends on each tire from different brand which carries different characteristics and maximum inflation pressure. For example on our CX-5 with 17" tires, having 41 psi in the rear is not over-inflated when you have full load based on CX-5 owner's manual:

attachment.php

View attachment 219088

Tha same if I put 44 psi in the rear which is not over-inflated with full load and driving at 100 mph on my VW Passat:

pic-6981828435756281753-1600x1200.jpeg

Back in the old days all owner's manuals recommend adding 2~3 psi oh tire pressure if the vehicle is going to drive on the highway. Constant highway speed requires higher tire pressure to prevent too much heat generated which is the major reason to have a blow out.

I guess we’ll have to wait for the original poster to tell us if he’s fully loaded in the rear and driving over 100 mph. I kinda doubt either is the case. The real point I’m making here is following the recommendation on the placard != under inflation. I feel like you’re saying it is and if he doesn’t raise it to the Mexico full load high speed pressure he’ll have uneven wear. Even though he hasn’t stated those conditions are present.

This reminds me of the BS I saw in another thread saying replacement tires must have the same max inflation value as the OE tires. I believe the argument was because max load was determined at max psi which isn’t true.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=195

Also did you even read what I said about there being a correct range and not one specific correct pressure.

I guess well have to wait for the original poster to tell us if hes fully loaded in the rear and driving over 100 mph. I kinda doubt either is the case. The real point Im making here is following the recommendation on the placard != under inflation. I feel like youre saying it is and if he doesnt raise it to the Mexico full load high speed pressure hell have uneven wear. Even though he hasnt stated those conditions are present.

This reminds me of the BS I saw in another thread saying replacement tires must have the same max inflation value as the OE tires. I believe the argument was because max load was determined at max psi which isnt true.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=195
Sorry your 2 TireRack links led me to a weird website. Some tires specifically state "Max. Load 1709 lbs. @ 51 psi Max. Pressure" on the sidewall. More load needs more tire pressure. That's just a basic physics!

An ideal tire pressure is not a single psi as listed on door sticker on most US vehicles. Keeping 36 or 38 psi on our CX-5 with 17" tires doesn't mean they're over-inflated like you implied either. It's always a range depending on load、speed、even the tire brand. And it's also a personal preference and most CX-5 owner's here choose 2~3 psi higher than Mazda recommended tire pressure for the US customers.

From my experience factory recommended pressure most likely is on the low side just compare the recommended tire pressures for CX-5 in Mexico. And recommended tire pressure of 26 psi on my 1998 Honda CR-V is way too low with today's tires which have much higher 51 psi maximum inflation pressure!

I don’t know what this forum is doing with links......

Go to the tire rack and search for load ratings and you’ll see it’s not at max inflation. Each load rating has a specific psi at width that load rating applies to.

I would agree 26 is kinda low but I don’t know all the details there. I think before the Explorer incident a lot of SUVs maybe has recommended pressure that was lower than it should have been.

On our CX-5 it’s 35 and I feel for 1 or two passengers and only light loads this is fine. I do measure tread depth seasonally when I swap tires and mine are wearing evenly.

You also need to understand there are cons to higher pressure also. Including wear issues like center wear of over inflated. It’s not the case the higher is always better with 0 drawbacks or the manufacturer would recommend that. It’s physics!

To the OP you can trust the manufacturer and sites like Tire Rack. Or some random dude on the internet. I would recommend trusting the experts.

Last edited:
Today it seems that to get external links to work you have to look for a another link on the "weird website" (in this case for me it was left center) that says continue to tirerack.com and had the tirerack logo (if you don't see it, scroll down).

One very important piece of info on the linked tirerack page is all the way at the bottom:

Tire Specs Explained: Maximum Load

Note: P-metric and Euro-metric sized tires' "maximum load" inflation pressure may be, and often are, different that the tire's "maximum inflation pressure."

Maximum load inflation pressure (for testing purposes) on modern tires is defined at 35/36 psi which is a standard from the Tire & Rim Assoc. (in USA) or the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organization (ETRTO). You can safely inflate your tires beyond this to 44 or 51 psi (depending what your sidewall says), but it does not mean that it is only at that 44 or 51 psi that you get the rated maximum load capacity.

If you do carry heavy loads or tow a trailer (or travel at high speeds), by all means increase you air pressure. Not because of the load rating standpoint but to help the tire retain a more round shape and reduce heat build up.

Today it seems that to get external links to work you have to look for a another link on the "weird website" (in this case for me it was left center) that says continue to tirerack.com and had the tirerack logo (if you don't see it, scroll down).

One very important piece of info on the linked tirerack page is all the way at the bottom:

Maximum load inflation pressure (for testing purposes) on modern tires is defined at 35/36 psi which is a standard from the Tire & Rim Assoc. (in USA) or the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organization (ETRTO). You can safely inflate your tires beyond this to 44 or 51 psi (depending what your sidewall says), but it does not mean that it is only at that 44 or 51 psi that you get the rated maximum load capacity.

If you do carry heavy loads or tow a trailer (or travel at high speeds), by all means increase you air pressure. Not because of the load rating standpoint but to help the tire retain a more round shape and reduce heat build up.
On the yokohama it mentions max 44 so any level under that is fine ?

What i do not understand is why the dealer always adds more then the recommended tire pressure .

Back