Tire Pressure

Nick027

:
mazda cx 5 gs 2017
Just wondering if im at the recommended tire pressure ?

Its a 2017 cx 5 gs 17 inch tires .

Please see image below.
2e42125724045dc4b023c429dfa24a6d.jpg

Please see image below.

20180429_170050.jpg

Your tire pressure gauge is showing 39 lbs, what does the sticker specify for recommended psi on the driver's side door jamb? 32 psi?

You should be fine. I run mine at 36. The recommendation is 35. 36 is easier to read.
Should i take some air out ?
The tires were installed and inflated by the dealer but just wondering why they would add more than the recommended psi

Or get this kind of air gauge
d4bf14679ea6dc955b1d2cb4b4d80b0a.jpg

Great because it’s easy to read and you can bleed it down.

Please see image below.
2e42125724045dc4b023c429dfa24a6d.jpg
You have 2 threads going on, I'll reply here in the correct category.

When did you make the measurement? You've to measure tire pressure when tires are cold. The best is doing it the first thing in the morning before you start the engine and any of the tires is not getting exposed by the sun.

Do invest a digital tire pressure gauge which is easier to measure and more accurate.

Your gauge reads ~38.1 psi ;) and factory recommended tire pressure for your 225/65R17 tires is 34 psi. But I wouldn't let any air out yet as many CX-5 owners are running this pressure, and factory recommended psi usually is low and will cause faster wear on outer tread.

You have 2 threads going on, I'll reply here in the correct category.

When did you make the measurement? You've to measure tire pressure when tires are cold. The best is doing it the first thing in the morning before you start the engine and any of the tires is not getting exposed by the sun.

Do invest a digital tire pressure gauge which is easier to measure and more accurate.

Your gauge reads ~38.1 psi ;) and factory recommended tire pressure for your 225/65R17 tires is 34 psi. But I wouldn't let any air out yet as many CX-5 owners are running this pressure, and factory recommended psi usually is low and will cause faster wear on outer tread.
The car has not moved for a good 4 hours and yes i will be getting a digital one .

So at this pressure i shouldn't worry to much.

BTW, do check your spare as it's usually very low, like 40+ psi, from factory. The recommended pressure on spare is 60 psi. It's a hassle as you need to get the spare out on CX-5 to check, not like some others where the valve stem is exposed on the top.

The car has not moved for a good 4 hours and yes i will be getting a digital one .

So at this pressure i shouldn't worry to much.
I wouldn't worried at 38 psi unless I feel something is wrong on tire pressure. Do get a digital gauge and check them again the first thing in the morning in your garage. Check your spare too.

I wouldn't worried at 38 psi unless I feel something is wrong on tire pressure. Do get a digital gauge and check them again the first thing in the morning in your garage. Check your spare too.
Just used a different gauge on same tire and shows a little higher .
Defiantly buying a digital one this week.

811d53808d95ba426c4d725acd68522e.jpg

The door decal on my 2014 touring with 225/60/17 tires suggest 34 psig which is what I use. I tried higher and noting nothing changed except for a harder ride and at 38, I noticed less traction in heavy rain. Ed

Just used a different gauge on same tire and shows a little higher .
Defiantly buying a digital one this week.

811d53808d95ba426c4d725acd68522e.jpg
As long as the tire pressure is between 34~42 psi on 17" tires, it should be fine. Sometimes it becomes a personal preference for ride quality. From my experience "one-size-fit-all" factory recommended tire pressures used for US vehicles most likely have always been on the low side which wears outer tread more. See Mazda recommends different tire pressures for different load (many times for different speed) for 2017 CX-5 used in Mexico:

attachment.php

IMG_0268.PNG

Here are recommended tire pressures for my VW Passat:

pic-6981828435756281753-1600x1200.jpeg

I run at least 39 psi on my 19" tires. Here Lbear runs 41 psi on his 17" tires:

I was getting around 29/30 mpg on the Yoko's

No snow yet with the RT43's

I'm running around 41 psi cold

My current VW GTI specifies 38 psi on 18”. It’s kinda funny on my MKV (Rabbit) which had 16” wheels the dealer would always set to 38 instead of 34 as marked on the placard and I could tell as soon as I took a corner quickly as they would squeal! I’m guessing tech was used to seeing GTI’s and just on auto pilot.

My point is going higher, especially without load, only helps to a point then is detrimental.

My current VW GTI specifies 38 psi on 18”. It’s kinda funny on my MKV (Rabbit) which had 16” wheels the dealer would always set to 38 instead of 34 as marked on the placard and I could tell as soon as I took a corner quickly as they would squeal! I’m guessing tech was used to seeing GTI’s and just on auto pilot.

My point is going higher, especially without load, only helps to a point then is detrimental.
It is kind of tricky and was not sure on correct psi .
Decided to pay a visit to the dealer and they put them back at 34 instead of 38 .

My question is why to they inflate them so much from the get go?

Just make sure you measure them when they're COLD, early in the morning, not in direct sunlight, and not after being driven. 36 works for me.

Back