Timing parts brands?

Mikeyman64

Zoomer
:
Atlanta
:
2002/2003.5 "MSP5"
Hello all,

Time to put another water pump in the MP5. Just hit 210,000 and the pump has started to seize and rattle. I figured it is about time (or beyond) to buckle and do the full service.

After reading a few threads, specifically this one, and talking with people, I have pretty much decided which parts I am going to replace. The plan is: Water pump, timing belt, tensioner pulley, idler pulley, tensioner spring, cam seals, crank seal, and a few other odds and ends in between.

One thing I haven't found, and this brings me to my main question, is a concrete answer for is what brand to get. I know that dirt cheap isn't the best option for something as crucial as timing, however I am a student and therefor have little green to part with so I would be willing to settle for a part that will do well but might not be exactly oem.

Are there some professional opinions here on which brands to buy or stay away from? I do most of my parts shopping at rockauto.com, so there are a few different options. The internet can be so very misleading about brand reviews, so I figure this would be the best source of at least second-hand knowledge. Dayco has a decently priced timing kit that comes with the belt the two pulleys and the spring for $104.

I apologize ahead of time if this is answered somewhere. I simply couldn't find anything on what 3rd party brands are good and trustworthy.

I think you should consider this vendor. Unless the place where you live with a thing happens to be in Canada,.... God knows what kind of duty will be applied to your purchase.

ImportingbyMail_zps7a6d855c.jpg

RockAuto is definitely the best choice for Canadians,... they do it by the book, charge all taxes and I've never had any extra "surprises"at the door.

This is a complete kit,... everything you mentioned plus the drive belts, valve cover gasket, and valve cover grommets.
I haven't ordered the kit but if he sold crap he probably wouldn't be able to advertise on the forum.

Installshield got the kit and liked it and he knows his shyte.

http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/show...s-USA-Timing-Belt-Kit-for-your-Mazda-Protege5

Last edited:
I get most of my parts at Rockauto
For my Timing Belt, Water Pump, Tensioners I used Gates and Dayco.
Seals and VCG I used Fel-Pro.

Factory Parts. i know they can be pricey, but if you know someone in the business, you can get their discount.(usually 20%)
Factory Parts fit right, and work right.

Back