2013~2016 Throttle Body cleaning - Frequency?

CX-5 is 2016.5 GT with 72K miles on it.
The dealer cleaned the throttle body one year ago for the first time and now they say it's dirty and needs to be cleaned again. Under normal, (spirited) driving conditions, how often should I expect to need the throttle body removed and cleaned? Is this another dealer moneymaker or is it a maintenance issue that needs frequent attention? Thanks

Do you live somewhere that you might suck in a lot of dusty air?

I always thought the throttle body might need cleaning once in the car's lifetime- or maybe not at all. If the air filter works perfectly it might never need a throttle body cleaning.

Does the PCV gas get sucked in before or after the throttle body? If before, I could see it needing occasional cleaning; if after, it’s just outdoor air it controls.

Mine was very clean at 68k miles. I was going after the intake valves at the time. I had already removed the throttle body so I cleaned it while it was off the engine. There was a barely discernible lacquer on the plate in the middle it as well as a faint dark residue around the edge of the disc. Once in a lifetime cleaning would probably be just fine.

Do you live somewhere that you might suck in a lot of dusty air?

I always thought the throttle body might need cleaning once in the car's lifetime- or maybe not at all. If the air filter works perfectly it might never need a throttle body cleaning.
Just driving I95 and local stuff so no real dusty air. I change the engine air cleaner about once a year as a routine maintenance item and it never looks too bad. I think the other replys that suggested this as a dealer moneymaker are correct. I watched the YouTube video and it was really well done. I can do the throttle body cleaning it’s not hard - well within my capability.

Does the PCV gas get sucked in before or after the throttle body? If before, I could see it needing occasional cleaning; if after, it’s just outdoor air it controls.
After.

This scam is second to cabin air filter for $89. :-(

Before I tried to sell my wife's Prius, I took it to a Toyota dealer for a final good-will fixing. The dealer told me, "The throttle body is dirty and sticky.... we recommend a cleaning." They wanted $150 for it.... No, thanks. I took it home and eyeball it myself.. I barely saw anything.... These guys...

CX-5 is 2016.5 GT with 72K miles on it.
The dealer cleaned the throttle body one year ago for the first time and now they say it's dirty and needs to be cleaned again. Under normal, (spirited) driving conditions, how often should I expect to need the throttle body removed and cleaned? Is this another dealer moneymaker or is it a maintenance issue that needs frequent attention? Thanks
Wow they did it a year ago at 50K+ miles? Mine has 120K miles and I've never had it done...It was recommended now as priority item so I'm considering.

Why believe the dealer when you can check it yourself?
Just disconnect the intake air tube. You can see the throttle body.
If it is dirty, wipe it clean yourself. :)

I would love to check it myself but just really not sure in my abilities. I can fix many things at home, but with the car, I'm not sure. If I had someone experienced standing and watching what I'm doing, I would feel more confident in opening up the hood and taking things apart.

Another issue popped up today - an oil leak. Just had the oil changed on Saturday, but this is not just a drop. Seems to be brown in color. I tried to take a pic to show where it's dripping from. Ugghh.

Attachments

• 09-15-2020 Oil leak -1.jpg
    09-15-2020 Oil leak -1.jpg
    79.8 KB · Views: 155
  • 09-15-2020 Oil leak -2jpg.jpg
    09-15-2020 Oil leak -2jpg.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 159
  • 09-15-2020 Oil leak -2.jpg
    09-15-2020 Oil leak -2.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 170
@RedBaron Thank you and yes, I've read enough to know not to drive it now. Taking it back to the dealer on Friday (was supposed to be for oxygen sensor but now this also, which I'm making a priority for them to look at), and getting a loaner until they fix it.

Dealer moneymaker. 117k miles and I have not touched the throttle body......There's no reason unless you have issues. Are you sure its not the intake valves?...which also is not required but recommended?

Throttle body = you got chocolate on your mouth so you (literally wipe it off).

Intake Manifold = you do deep cleaning on teeth. If not then you'll likely get rid of the car before it rots.

@CX-5um LOL now that's a fun comparison, thanks!
I asked the dealer if they take photos when they find items to recommend... because I would love to see what my throttle body looks like, before I decide to spend yet another $100+. They said no. I guess I have to check myself.

The car is at the dealer now for the oil leak (that happened after their service) and oxygen sensor. Let's see how long that takes.

Back