Thoughts about wheel upgrades

Yes! I actually also read the forum where Sthio was running 22x9.5 285/35/22 and wasn't having any issues with rubbing except when he turned his wheel to max. He recommended 265/35/22 would be perfect but I really would like to see the extra side wall with 265/40/22...

IMO, I would be reluctant to go to such a large diameter tire (265/40/22) since it's over 5% larger diameter versus stock 19" tire. On a vehicle with limited power, the negative impact on acceleration would be significant.

IMO, I would be reluctant to go to such a large diameter tire (265/40/22) since it's over 5% larger diameter versus stock 19" tire. On a vehicle with limited power, the negative impact on acceleration would be significant.

How significant of a difference does 1-5% make on the performance of the vehicle? This is my first time purchasing aftermarket wheels so I am kinda nervous about it. I was also worried with putting extra 10lb per wheel with the 265/40. I thought about putting 20's instead of 22's ( would be better with weight and can stay close to stock diameter) but I figured if I am spending $2500 for a custom look, might as well get something that stands out from the crowd. And the wheel gap with 20's would not look so well.... and if I can avoid it I rather not mess with the suspensions.

How significant of a difference does 1-5% make on the performance of the vehicle? This is my first time purchasing aftermarket wheels so I am kinda nervous about it. I was also worried with putting extra 10lb per wheel with the 265/40. I thought about putting 20's instead of 22's ( would be better with weight and can stay close to stock diameter) but I figured if I am spending $2500 for a custom look, might as well get something that stands out from the crowd. And the wheel gap with 20's would not look so well.... and if I can avoid it I rather not mess with the suspensions.

5% increase (such as 265/40/22) in tire diameter on a vehicle weighing well over 3200 pounds with only about 155 hp would be significant and noticeable by all astute drivers. The extra 10 poounds of wheel weight would also contribute to the slower acceleration, not to mention impact on ride quality and handling. Wheel gap with 20's will look better than the wheel gap with 22's given stock suspension and ride height.

5% increase (such as 265/40/22) in tire diameter on a vehicle weighing well over 3200 pounds with only about 155 hp would be significant and noticeable by all astute drivers. The extra 10 poounds of wheel weight would also contribute to the slower acceleration, not to mention impact on ride quality and handling. Wheel gap with 20's will look better than the wheel gap with 22's given stock suspension and ride height.

Thanks for the input! I'll definitely consider it. I actually got to see couple CX-5 with 22's, Sthio and couple here at http://toptown.co.nz/wheels/view/wheel/DTM/CON/24/FRONT/con/, I've been looking to I could see couple with 20's but nobody seems to want to pull the trigger.

Thanks for the input! I'll definitely consider it. I actually got to see couple CX-5 with 22's, Sthio and couple here at http://toptown.co.nz/wheels/view/wheel/DTM/CON/24/FRONT/con/, I've been looking to I could see couple with 20's but nobody seems to want to pull the trigger.

Those pics of CX-5's w/22's look like they have been lowered (that's why wheel gap is acceptable). But given stock suspension and ride height, the 20's will look better.

Amazingly, I have seen little to no mention of wheel offset in this thread. The overall appearance of a wheel, good or bad, isn't as simple as diameter. Fact is, the OE 17's offset is ridiculously high, and looks horrible. The 19's aren't as bad. Those of you with GTs should just keep your wheels. They look very good.

Anything over 19" is too much of a compromise in regards to fuel mileage, braking, handling, and acceleration. I hope some of you realize this who are shopping for gigantic wheels.

Amazingly, I have seen little to no mention of wheel offset in this thread. The overall appearance of a wheel, good or bad, isn't as simple as diameter. Fact is, the OE 17's offset is ridiculously high, and looks horrible. The 19's aren't as bad. Those of you with GTs should just keep your wheels. They look very good.

Anything over 19" is too much of a compromise in regards to fuel mileage, braking, handling, and acceleration. I hope some of you realize this who are shopping for gigantic wheels.

I got a +45 offset. I think it looks much better than the stock 50.

First of all, I am new in this forum. Just a little bit of introduction of me and my CX-5

I am currently residing in Indonesia, but, I used to go to college in Bloomington, Indiana.
I just got my Touring (the best option I can get here for $45k) CX-5 over a week ago and it rides really AWESOME. Definitely one of the best SUVs in term of price.

This is my 2nd Mazda vehicle. Previously I owned and modified my RX-8, so, I exactly understood the trade-offs between comfort/performance and looks.
in this case, my CX-5 is my weekend car so, I acknowledged that I am sacrificing comfort over the looks when I installed my 22x9.5 +45 285/35/22 rims and tires combo.

Haven't tried it to take it on the highway yet but, just a normal 30-45MPH driving, I could barely noticed the difference than when it was stock.

Now, after reading some of the posts I kinda feel bad that I might shorten my suspension life or any other inter-connected parts with my 22" rims. The only positive thing is that I only drive around 50-75 miles perweek with this car.

But, oh well, money was already spent and there is nothing else i could do except to just enjoy my decision.

In my opinion, 22" definitely looks awesome but if this is your daily car, you might want to rethink of putting 22" rims.

Now, let the pictures do the talking and hopefully could be some kind of help to anyone of you who plans to install 22" rims.
Sorry for the crappy Iphone pictures.

BTW, I am planning to lower my car around 1-1.5" too if you guys have any reliable reference.

PS: I changed my interior with Autoleder Coral red and it does not interfere with any of the safety features.

That car looks great. What is involved with getting that red interior, looks amazing?

I got a real nice pair of 19's for sale. 19x8.5+38 all the way around.

473708_10150990602033300_739601566_o.jpg

Back