Testing SCBS

:
Phoenix
:
2021 signature
I'm trying to test it out, other than running in to a wall or setting up boxes. I thought if I let off the brake at a light and let the car crawl up to the car ion front of me I could see it in action. Well, after it inched within 3 feet I intervened. Have any of you been safely able to test that auto braking thing? It works perfect with adaptive cruise as my car comes to a stop at a safe distance when slowing down and stopping at a light with a car in front of me.

I'm trying to test it out, other than running in to a wall or setting up boxes. I thought if I let off the brake at a light and let the car crawl up to the car ion front of me I could see it in action. Well, after it inched within 3 feet I intervened. Have any of you been safely able to test that auto braking thing? It works perfect with adaptive cruise as my car comes to a stop at a safe distance when slowing down and stopping at a light with a car in front of me.
The manual says you have to be going at least 2 mph when SCBS or the advanced version detects a vehicle. I don't know if your creeping qualifies.

The advanced version purportedly alerts for pedetrians when going at leat 6.2 MPH, definitely not to be tested unless you have a mannequin you don't need anymore. A friend of mine had a Honda salesman challenge her to take a test drive into a brick wall. It worked. Bold. Of course it wasn't her car...yet.

My wife gets mad at me when I ask questions like, "Are you sure it's turned on?" Forgive me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I learned that mine worked, without testing it.
I was on the freeway in the right lane when some idiot in the left lane decided at the last second he needed to take the exit that was coming up.
He cut in front of me at a sharp angle, slowed down quickly, and just managed to make the exit.
My car jammed on the brakes and scared the crap out of me and the wife.
I was not expecting it.
Thankfully there was no-one behind me.
Duh, it works.

it self activates from time to time..the car in front slows down to make right turn, you dont.. so much because you know they are turning and bam..it activates.. and the HUD goes crazy red as well.
hopefully there is nobody behind you because thats the bigger risk.
but my advice, dont try this on purpose.
the system is there. leave it alone.
Best system is self awareness when you drive.

Last edited:
hal2, it works. Many people have the experience of it activating. You can use a stack of boxes to try it out at an empty parking lot if you want to. Be sure not to keep your foot on brake. When that happens, the SCBS will not activate. I also found that the system is now more sensitive on my '17 CX5 than my '16 Mazda6's.

I learned that mine worked, without testing it.
I was on the freeway in the right lane when some idiot in the left lane decided at the last second he needed to take the exit that was coming up.
He cut in front of me at a sharp angle, slowed down quickly, and just managed to make the exit.
My car jammed on the brakes and scared the crap out of me and the wife.
I was not expecting it.
Thankfully there was no-one behind me.
Duh, it works.
Mazda distinguishes several systems that involve automatic braking. It's not just for marketing purposes. They operate under different conditions with different bits of software and evidently different hardware, according to our unreliable manual.

Smart City Brake Support uses the Front Facing Camara and will activate between 2 and 50 mph.

Smart Brake Support also uses the Front Facing Camera but in conjuction with the radar. It operates at speeds above 10 MPH with no specified top end.

The Mazda Radar Cruise Control with Stop & Go is evidently true to its name--the manual says it works off the radar with no mention of the camera. It operates between 0 - 90 MPH.

It's hard to tell from examples given above whether another system, not SCBS, is performing the braking.

If we can believe the manual, it is conceivable that camera-only SCBS might not be working properly while radar-only MRCC with S&G might be just fine because it is radar driven.

I'm trying to test it out, other than running in to a wall or setting up boxes.
A couple of other things to check:

1) The manual says SCBS may not function if the windshield is dirty. That makes sense given this is a camera-driven function and the camera sits behind the windshield.

2) I had read elsewhere in the manual, I can't recall where at the moment, that Mazda advises not to put anything on the dishboard because that thing's reflection in the windshield could disrupt camera functioning. Again that makes sense.

True but there is usually a warning msg when it doesnt work. Usually if blinded by the sun or other factors which prevent visibility for the camera on the windshield.
MRCC also switches to normal cruise (i.e. no stop and go) control mode when this happens. It works but doesnt slow down.
As MRCC and SCBC (and lane assist and auto high beams) all rely on the camera too.

most of the time mine SCBC has triggered around 40 mph in the situations I mentioned.

20200823-182158.jpg

True but there is usually a warning msg when it doesnt work. Usually if blinded by the sun or other factors which prevent visibility for the camera on the windshield.
MRCC also switches to normal cruise (i.e. no stop and go) control mode when this happens. It works but doesnt slow down.
As MRCC and SCBC (and lane assist and auto high beams) all rely on the camera too.

most of the time mine SCBC has triggered around 40 mph in the situations I mentioned.

20200823-182158.jpg
I see no indication from the manual that MRCC uses the camera. I suppose under certain conditions it might switch control to the other systems that do but when and how is not exactly clear.

I didnt know either. Was surprised when it didnt slow down with car in front of me (the first time it happened).
It just continues but as normal cruise control. Actually not sure for 2020, but 2018 and 2019 do this.
Here in Phoenix because of the sun and the city highways direction - north south and east west, quite often when driving west in the late afternoon the camera gets blinded and some of the safety systems stop working.

Here in Phoenix because of the sun and the city highways direction - north south and east west, quite often when driving west in the late afternoon the camera gets blinded and some of the safety systems stop working.
It may be a blessing in disguise that these systems are not reliable. If they worked 99.98% of the time folks might get lulled into a false sense of security and start behaving like they have an autonomous vehicle. Obviously, there is no such thing in a meaningful sense, from Mazda or anybody else.

I put out a new thread a while ago describing my tests of the Lane Keep/Lane Departure system(s) over short stretches in ideal conditions. The results were wildly inconsistent and unpredictable. All of these safety systems are merely back-ups if you happen to make a mistake. Maybe they'll help, maybe they won't, better than nothin'...unless they make a "mistake" and put you in a compromising position. That hasn't happened to me in a short period of ownerhip; if it ever happens even once I'll turn that system off for good if possible.

Ths is not a critique of Mazda; everything I've read about these systems from different makes say they all act glitchy at times.

Personally, if the vehicle had only the blind spot detector I would have bought it anyway. That's the system I really wanted, it's worked well so far, and I'll still be glancing over my shoulder. I've got the systems set up in the way that makes the most sense to me and will now forget they exist unless and until they show themselves.

I have the sport trim without the laser, and I have never gotten it to activate. I tried putting tape over the camera to see if any warnings lit up but non did. And I prefer that it not work.
I love the blind spot detection, especially backing up in parking lots and when changing lanes, that has been very reliable. I still peek over my shoulder when backing up or changing lanes.

I've had it activate leaving the parking garage at work while coasting up to the gate arm. Got too close before the arm went up and all the sudden ground to a stop even though I had it timed. Glad I there wasn't somebody behind me.

Back