Talk to me about engines

utmorpheus

:
13 Mz2 Touring MTX
My father is looking to purchase a used car. After letting him drive my deceased 04 Mazda 6, 00 Miata, and 14 Mz2 I'm pretty sure I have him convinced on either a Mazda 3 or a Lexus IS250(yeah, I know, but old man). My question is what are the major failure points on the 2.0 and 2.5 engines in the second gen Mazda3? I know the V6 in the Mazda6 had issues with cats clogging and killing the motor, the Miata eats cam sensors like candy, etc. Just trying to find the combination with the least problems as he is the type of person to say 'well it says the oil is good for 10k miles, so lets wait until 12k'.

If he sticks with 2010 - 2013s for second gens, unreliability is not an issue. All have been very reliable in every category according to Consumer Reports. The 09 and 11 Lexus IS 250s had some engine issues but all other years have maintained very good reliability. But let me ask you this about your Dad:
Does he prefer a quiet ride over a sporty (great-handling) one? If so, the Lexus may be the best choice. We have Mazdas and a Lexus in our household. For distance trips, the Lexus is a good choice, since road noise is minimal. However, a 10-20 minute drive favors any of our Mazdas.

Nah, sport is priority. He drives his 03 Sable like a Miata. He wants some creature comforts, but is not looking for a BMW.

Good, so if he's not too picky about gas mileage, suggest the 2.5L. If he's anything like me, he'll prefer it.

Back