2017~2024 Tail lights out on 2017 cx-5 gt

This evening another driver pointed out to me that my tail lights are out. The rear lights work fine when I use the brakes, but when just driving there are no lights showing in the back. It seems odd that both would have gone out at the same time. Also suspicious is that I had it in for an oil change a week ago. What can I do to check what's going on for myself? Any advice for things I can verify or at least rule out?

Thanks!

Are you sure the headlights are turned on, and you are not just using the DRLs?

I have noticed when taking my car into the dealer for service they turn off any auto headlights settings. Was very embarrassed when some driver had to tell to to turn on my headlights at night as that is one of my pet peeves with drivers.

See my post about "safety features" that aren't safe. I too missed the fact that I only had on DRLs. While there is an indicator on the dash about the lights, it's not obvious IMO. It is on for both full on and parking lights only. Leaving in AUTO position is a good option - as long as other drivers (or in our case kids) don't change it!

Personally, I'd like the DRLs to go dark when it's dark (i.e. truly be Daytime). My car could calculate sunset based on GPS info (which all models have) - and extinguish DRLs at sunset. You'd notice lack of lighting once it progressed beyond sunset - and you'd turn them on to see. In other words, - act like headlights did prior to all this tech.

Back