Swaying and rocking

My 2020 CX 5 with 1000 miles on it had a slow leak in drivers side rear tire. Had picked up a nail and had local tire guy put in a plug. A few days latter started to notice that at low speed as I was pulling out of driveway and drove down the street at low speed less then 15 mph it feels like I am driving over bumps and the car is rocking. This goes away once the speed gets above this. There is no vibrations in the steering wheel. What can be causing this I checked that the lug nuts were tight and they were.

It may be tire flat spotting. Stop with a hot tire for a long time and the tire retains the ground created flat spot until it warms up a little and gets tugged back into round shape. Usually goes away in side 5 miles. Make sure your tires are properly inflated so they do not get so hot.

Did you drive a long way with a seriously very low tire? If so, it may have inside damage that doesn't show from the outside. Ed

Maybe you lost a wheel weight?

I guess some people dispute the reliability of plugs but with a patch inside as well they seem ok to me.

Drove only a few blocks then added air then mile or 2 to tire place. Had 22psi when started up in morning and saw low pressure indicator on. Tire never went flat. Don’t see any extra plug sticking out and drove 140 miles on highway without noticing any problem. When got off highway and speed reduced to below 15mph noticed that the car felt like it was swaying and I was going over a bump that was not in the road. I have made a appointment for service. Maybe the steel belts in tire shifted or tire out of balance or shock failure. Pretty strange for a car with only 1200 miles on it. Car was driving so nice till tire was repaired. Could the tire be on wrong it has one of those tire lock lug nuts could they change the dynamic’s of the tire?

If the belts or something else in the carcass are damaged you might need a new tire. Whatever caused the low pressure might have done the damage.

Based on the highway drive you mentioned, I believe the tire was damaged and needs to be replaced. JMO. Ed

My 2020 CX 5 with 1000 miles on it had a slow leak in drivers side rear tire. Had picked up a nail and had local tire guy put in a plug.
Putting a plug in modern tires is not recommended. The proper way to fix them is with a patch on the inside.

Have been searching treads to see if anybody has had similar problem. I came across issue on the engine and transmission sites. After reading about people complaining about transmission surge that makes the car feel like it rocks at low speed I investigated by taking car to large parking lot and testing it out. Have noticed that once the tach reaches 1000 rpm that is with a light touch on gas pedal to about 10-15 mph like pulling out of driveway you get the feel of the car rock and sway. As it shifts to next gear the feeling of rock and sway goes away. Is this common to Cx 5 transmission. I am bringing it in for service to see what they say and may just get a new tire to rule out a tire issue and don’t like driving on a plugged tire.

A guy told me that the best fix is a plug AND a patch inside. The plug helps prevent water into the treads/carcass from the outside and the patch seals the inside.

I had a screw in a tire, which is pretty bad, but they did a good job on it and it's been a couple of years. It's on the front so I hear a very slight 'wah-wah' sound but it doesn't vibrate even at 80mph.

If something happened to the inside belts or whatever the tire might need replacement.
It's kind of hard to tell sometimes without swapping a spare on it to see if the noise goes away.

There's nothing wrong with driving on a properly repaired tire so the dealer will want to check that repair. If the tire is defective they may send you to a Yoko Dealer if they hold the warranty.

Have been searching treads to see if anybody has had similar problem. I came across issue on the engine and transmission sites. After reading about people complaining about transmission surge that makes the car feel like it rocks at low speed I investigated by taking car to large parking lot and testing it out. Have noticed that once the tach reaches 1000 rpm that is with a light touch on gas pedal to about 10-15 mph like pulling out of driveway you get the feel of the car rock and sway. As it shifts to next gear the feeling of rock and sway goes away. Is this common to Cx 5 transmission. I am bringing it in for service to see what they say and may just get a new tire to rule out a tire issue and don’t like driving on a plugged tire.
Let us know what they say.

Back