Suspension or brake noise from drive to reverse and reverse to drive

:
2019 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Hi everyone, I have a 2019 mazda cx-9. It's under a year old with 33,000 kms. About 3 months ago, I would hear a loud knock. I only hear the knock when I operate the vehicle as follows.

Put car into forward drive, travel a short distance, brake to a stop, put car into reverse, travel a short distance, brake (knock sound) when I apply the brakes.

When the car is in reverse and I brake a second time, it doesnt knock. When I put the car into forward, travel a short distance and brake, I hear the knock sound again. If i move again and brake, it doesnt happen anymore until i put it into reverse.

It's super wierd. It's quite loud. Sometimes I hear it at the back of the vehicle, sometimes at the front and sometimes from both the rear and front at the same time. People notice the noise from outside of the vehicle as well.

Another thing I noticed when changing over my tires to summers is that when the car is jacked up by the rear wheel with a floor jack, I would push onto the car a bit while raised to shake it a bit from side to side (very minimal, almost barely), I hear a loud clicking noise from the suspension. It only happens to the cx-9 and not other vehicles.

Overall the car works fine. This is more of an annoyance and an embarrassment in public haha.

Any ideas??

Trix, if it is a loose brake part, it may get looser. This could be a big safety problem. Get it checked. It is probably a warranty item. At your 33,000km (20,000 miles) it is unlikely brake wear unless there is a defective brake part or you have the habit of resting your foot on the brake pedal while traveling. Or, perhaps you drove over a rock or something that did damage...get it checked.

Very likely your pads/hardware.
I think you're experiencing the same thing like this person

That is exactly it... so I guess the only fix is to wait until more corrosion builds up to fills the gap. This wont take very long since mazdas are known to rust quickly here in Canada haha. I will take it in to the dealer just for peace of mind when this situation is over.

Hello Trix, I have a Mazda CX-9 GT 2018 and it started doing that track/click noise when I do the same as you described. I went to the dealer but they said the brake system looks good but the noise is still there. Did you get it fixed?? if so what was the issue? I will download the pdf mentioned by Youri.

Thanks

Hello Trix, I have a Mazda CX-9 GT 2018 and it started doing that track/click noise when I do the same as you described. I went to the dealer but they said the brake system looks good but the noise is still there. Did you get it fixed?? if so what was the issue? I will download the pdf mentioned by Youri.

Thanks

I would print off the TSB and go back to the dealer. If they aren't willing to assist any further, contact Mazda Corporate or try a different Mazda dealer.

I had the same issue with my 2018, they replaced the front brake pads and hardware and also eliminated a brake squeal while they were at it.

I've had the same issue since around 12K miles.

Dealer replaced pads, as per TSB. Still have the same noise (usually when I pull out of the driveway first thing in the morning).

The manual states that chassis bolts need to be tightened every 15K miles or so. Perhaps it's related?

Put car into forward drive, travel a short distance, brake to a stop, put car into reverse, travel a short distance, brake (knock sound) when I apply the brakes.

When the car is in reverse and I brake a second time, it doesnt knock. When I put the car into forward, travel a short distance and brake, I hear the knock sound again. If i move again and brake, it doesnt happen anymore until i put it into reverse.

This is exactly what was happening with mine. The sound was definitely coming from the front brakes, verified by standing outside while my wife moved the car around in a parking lot. @roundle1979, is yours making the same noise, in the same situations? If so, and if you can hear the noise coming from the brakes, maybe the shop didn't follow the TSB correctly?

If the noise is coming from somewhere else, I would also suspect chassis bolts. There's been a few reports of strut tower bolts and windshield cowl plastic fasteners/clips being loose, those may be the culprits.

I would print off the TSB and go back to the dealer. If they aren't willing to assist any further, contact Mazda Corporate or try a different Mazda dealer.

I had the same issue with my 2018, they replaced the front brake pads and hardware and also eliminated a brake squeal while they were at it.
I will do that and thanks. I scheduled a service appointment and will post the outcome.

Thanks
The clicking noise due to “shifting” of front brake pads when you’re changing vehicle moving direction is pretty common for many vehicles. My 1998 Honda CR-V is having the same problem from time to time and I just choose to ignore it. Based on the TSB, Mazda added protector (pad) L2Y7-43-782 and grease L2Y7-33-247 as the cushion between the end edge of disk pad and guide plate to eliminate the metal-to-metal hitting noise (clicking) when the vehicle is changing the moving direction and the brakes are applied. This’s only a temporary fix IMO, the clicking noise will come back once the protection pads are worn out. Mazda need to put more precision on pad design, and to reduce the gaps between disk pads and guide plates which should reduce brake pad shifting.

Back