Surprised at first oil change on 2020 CX-5 GT...Tailgate recall?

Same!

When it happened the first time, i thought it was just the heat from the middle of an Arizona summer. I couldn’t find anything wrong with OBD diagnostic, and Autozone (weekend) couldn’t find anything wrong with the battery. So, I bought a lithium-ion battery to give it a jump if need be. Now it’s just in the car for giggles. Cheap sense of security!

Indeed! I have one in my car. Thankfully I haven't had to use it yet, but it's nice to know it's there just in case. They seem to hold their charge quite well too - mine was last charged around this time last year, and it currently has 80-90% charge left.

I would guess that part availability may be an issue at your dealership.
No, when you’re calling for the appointment of this SSP, the dealer will tell you they don’t have the new PLG control unit available and call us later. They’re not going to keep your vehicle and just for waiting the parts which they know in advance your car needs.

And it’s the SSP letter says it could take several days, not the local dealership.

Could be. Maybe that would only be for people that are experiencing dead batteries. The rest of us that want to get it done proactively shouldn't have a problem getting the part ordered beforehand. I think in the early stages the dealers would only do the replacement if your car was showing signs that the battery was being affected so it would make sense then, but the letter makes me think that's not the case anymore.
It’s possible that Mazda wants to get more diagnostic info for those vehicles which have showed dead battery symptom. After all not all 2020 CX-5 and CX-9’s with power liftgate are having problems. The EPB dragging issue on my 2016 CX-5 started with a TSB which replaces EPB control module for those CX-5’s in cold environment. Later Mazda updated the TSB and started to replace rear disk brake calipers with revised ones, and replacing the EPB control module previously was a mistake and it’s no longer needed.

Yes, it could be something else that caused the power liftgate control unit doesn’t fall into power saving mode. I believe the revised PLG control unit simply just masks the problem with software, it could or couldn’t fix the problem permanently for those CX-5 and CX-9’s which unfortunately are having dead battery problem.

No, when you’re calling for the appointment of this SSP, the dealer will tell you they don’t have the new PLG control unit available and call us later. They’re not going to keep your vehicle and just for waiting the parts which they know in advance your car needs.

And it’s the SSP letter says it could take several days, not the local dealership.

You're right, I didn't see that the letter had been posted above. My mistake.

It’s possible that Mazda wants to get more diagnostic info for those vehicles which have showed dead battery symptom. After all not all 2020 CX-5 and CX-9s with power liftgate are having problems. The EPB dragging issue on my 2016 CX-5 started with a TSB which replaces EPB control module for those CX-5’s in cold environment. Later Mazda updated the TSB and started to replace rear disk brake calipers with revised ones, and replacing the EPB control module previously was a mistake and it’s no longer needed.

Yes, it could be something else that caused the power liftgate control unit doesn’t fall into power saving mode. I believe the revised PLG control unit simply just masks the problem with software, it could or couldn’t fix the problem permanently for those CX-5 and CX-9s which unfortunately are having dead battery problem.

I agree that they may keep it for longer to run additional diagnostic testing.

I'm in Canada, and just had my first oil change appointment today (my 2020 CX-5 falls within the VIN numbers covered by this (built between Sept 2019 and March 2020). I brought this up, and the dealership is aware of it, but Mazda US often gets the parts first, so Mazda Canada has not issued the letter yet, but I should expect to see the letter soon.

Agree that technically, this is not a "recall" (and it doesn't show up on the recalls when I enter my VIN), but is a Special Service Program. The service advisor had not seen the US letter yet, but when I showed it to him, he understood that it's not considered a safety issue, so doesn't get classified as a recall. But Canadian 2020 CX-5 and CX-9 with cars impacted by this will be getting a SSP letter in the not too distant future. It's good Mazda is taking care of this proactively instead of just having a TSB for owners who do experience the issue.

Back