Sudden Unintentional Acceleration Of 2016 CX-9?

:
2017 CX9 GT AWD
Anyone having this issue?

https://www.edmunds.com/mazda/cx-9/2016/consumer-reviews/review-1326404027278499840/

I bought the signature CX-9 in August 2016 after falling in love with it at first sight. The gunmetal grey version with the beautiful interior featured in all the Mazda ads. Drove it over 24k miles in 18 months with what I would describe as only minor yet commonly reported issues like the AC was not very cool and the infotainment system would intermittently not work correctly. However, this car then did what I now know several other Mazdas have done: it suddenly unintentionally accelerated in its own. I was slowly pulling into a parking spot via a sharp right turn and suddenly the car throttled and accelerated at a very fast rate forward and did not respond to my panicked attempt to slam the brakes. It became lodged into a planter in front of me. It was the most surreal, shocking and scary thing. I didnt even know this was possible until it happened to me. I am grateful I did not hurt anyone in this incident. Mazda will not acknowledge it and my dealer, after having it towed directly there returned it to me two days later saying it was safe to drive. It is not safe and I refuse to put my familys fate in Mazdas self-serving hands. I am getting the bodywork completed and immediately getting rid of this car. Im posting my experience so that others out there who have experienced this will know you are not alone.​

Most likely driver error as is 99% of these type of accidents. Cars nowadays record driver inputs like brake and gas pedal applications. It should be easy to get that data to the owner but they will probably have to jump through a few hoops.

Unintended acceleration has been disproven over and over. There is absolutely 0% chance that the poster "slammed" on the brake and the car kept accelerating.

Can you say with 100% certainty that you weren't on the gas instead of the brake? As Bluechip said, it has been found that this scenario is almost always driver error. People simply have their foot in the wrong position. Peddles are only inches apart after all.

Not that we don't believe you but you must be absolutely sure about what happened. After Toyota's situation, cars were made with fail safes to avoid electronic or mechanical error.
But even with Toyota, it was nothing more than driver error or stuck floor mats.

Last edited:
Can you say with 100% certainty that you weren't on the gas instead of the brake. As Bluechip said, it has been found that this scenario is almost always driver error. People simply have their foot. In the wrong position. Peddles are only inches apart after all.

Not that we don't believe you but you must be absolutely sure about what happened. After Toyota's situation, cars were made with fail safes to avoid electronic or mechanical error.
But even with Toyota, it was nothing more than driver error or stuck floor mats.

I don't think OP had the issue; I though OP just cross posted someone else's complaint.

I had a Lexus affected by the Toyota recall. After they installed the electronic brake override, if you even slightly tapped the brake pedal while simultaneously pressing the gas, the car slowed down noticeably.

Ive actually had the opposite experience as the OP. My big feet sometimes hits the corner of the brake while pushing on the gas. Every single time I do the computer chops the throttle and I momentarily worry something is wrong with the car.

With this said, I did it very hard to believe the OPs vehicle had an unintentional acceleration. Hitting the brake should override any other inputs on the throttle.

I’ve actually had the opposite experience as the OP. My big feet sometimes hits the corner of the brake while pushing on the gas. Every single time I do the computer chops the throttle and I momentarily worry something is wrong with the car.

With this said, I did it very hard to believe the OP’s vehicle had an unintentional acceleration. Hitting the brake should override any other inputs on the throttle.

I have the exact same problem with my CX-9 and 6.

I may be wrong but the Edmunds post but it sounds like BS.

There are parts of the post that seem disingenuous. "We loved this car sooo much... we were enticed by it but don't be fooled. Our whole world came crashing down because we don't feel safe anymore!"

However, the poster is perfectly ok with with putting someone elses life in danger by selling it. If so, nice guy!

If I had an issue as dangerous as this, I would go into great detail about who the dealer is that made the evaluation that the car "is safe." I'd name names.
I feel like my local dealer would work their hardest for a quick resolution... their reputatation is at stake.

NO response from Mazda? Also, no mention of reporting this to the NHTSA?

He takes a swipe at Mazda calling them self serving which I can understand if all this really happened.

This very well may be an idiot who doesn't know how to drive, a former disgruntled employee, a hired gun for the opposition or a former Mazda owner with an axe to grind.

I don't think OP had the issue; I though OP just cross posted someone else's complaint.

Correct. I don't own a CX-9 (yet). I have a gut feeling the problem was a result of user error somehow, or maybe they put car mats in that didn't fit correctly and got stuck on the throttle somehow. Don't know.

There are very small chances of the engine actually running away. At the same time, strong pressure on the brake pedal will either stop the car or greatly slow it. It will not keep accelerating. As said above, the driver believes they're on the brake, and they aren't.

I know this is an old thread. But I may know what caused it. If you're doing 5-10 km/hr then press the Set button for cruise control. It will set to 30 km/hr and start to accelerate. This is not happening to my Toyota, because it won't let me set the cruise under 40 km/hr.

Reading the online manual, the cruise control does not activate below 25kph. I understand it to say you must be going at least 25kph before cruise control will activate. Also, you cannot resume speed if you are going below 25kph.

If this link works, here's where I read it.
Online manual

I know this is an old thread. But I may know what caused it. If you're doing 5-10 km/hr then press the Set button for cruise control. It will set to 30 km/hr and start to accelerate. This is not happening to my Toyota, because it won't let me set the cruise under 40 km/hr.

I can confirm that this is not what caused it. The Edmunds post says "the car throttled and accelerated at a very fast rate forward and did not respond to my panicked attempt to slam the brakes". For one, the cruise control will not accelerate at a fast rate - in fact, I've found that it accelerates much too slowly for my tastes, whether it is in stop-and-go traffic or on the highway. Also, tapping on the brakes cancels the Cruise Control.

All the cars i have shopped for had similar complaints logged to the NHTSA. Regardless of make and model.

While unintentional acceleration could technically happen. (I think Toyota might have had a recall for that at one point).Slamming on the brake would definitely at the bare minimum slow the car down.

Most likely human error, slamming the accelerator instead of the brakes. But the cynical in me thinks this may be a way to get off easy with the insurance company. Publicly blame the car to brush off responsibility.

On every car I've ever seen tested, the brakes cannot be overpowered by the engine. If you simultaneously floor the accelerator and brake pedals, the car will stop.

A majority of these unintended acceleration cases are the result of people pressing the wrong pedal, panicking, then flooring the pedal.

Hey guys I have owned mine for about two weeks and I have noticed after cold start in reverse I put into reverse and it jumps a bit but I realized it may be doing this as the car has elevated throttle for about 20 sec to get warm. Now I start and wait until after it warms and then reverse. I haven’t had any issue with it jumping forward. Remember I am the guy with 89k on the car so if something is going to wrong I may experience it first.

On every car I've ever seen tested, the brakes cannot be overpowered by the engine. If you simultaneously floor the accelerator and brake pedals, the car will stop.

A majority of these unintended acceleration cases are the result of people pressing the wrong pedal, panicking, then flooring the pedal.
If this unintended acceleration actually happens, then just put the car in neutral.
It can't accelerate if it's not in gear.

Back