2017~2024 Strange Oil Change problem - can't read the dipstick properly, low oil level warning

It is hard to say why the owner manual recommends 4.4 qts for oil change but the service manual requires around 5.3 qts for a dry engine. As you found out 5+ qts is full.
Dry fill is a totally different story. And actually Mazda Workshop Manual stated the same as our Owner's Manual: 4.8 qts. for 2.5L with oil and oil filter changes.

Here's the light that I saw - I was confused since it was not the low oil pressure light which is RED.

View attachment 221568 The Low Oil Level warning light came on only briefly. Now that I added the remaining oil in the 5 Qt jug, the oil reading is fine - a uniform, thick film right between the Full and Add marks.
Your oil level had been in the boarder line and the sensor still could detect the oil most of time when the oil in the oil pan is sloshing around.

Here's the difference between low oil pressure warning light and low oil level warning light in dash:

attachment.php

different-engine-oil-lights.jpg

reviving this thread after reading the related thread here.

2019 GTR with ~ 22,000 miles on the odometer. Oil changed ~3000 miles ago by the local dealership using OEM correct filter PY8W-14-302 (and hopefully the correct amount of oil).

Low oil level light warning came on while cruising about 60MPH,

QR1KKVd.jpg

pulled over, shut car off, waited about 5 mins, checked level -- all seemed ok. Light went off

Drove to destination - all seemed ok again for oil level. no warning light

Fast forward 6 hours, drove home - checked it at home level at the first dot on the dip stick.
no warning light

This is Arizona so mostly flat, no severe hills so measuring should have not been impacted by level of the ground.

Went and got a quart of oil of 5W-30 .
after referencing
https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/owners-optimized/2019/cx-5/2019_cx5_om.pdf

added about 3/4 quart of the following:
https://www.oreillyauto.com/detail/...ic-motor-oil-5w-30-1-quart/syntec530/2620070/

Drove the car around the neighborhood, came back rested vehicle for 5 mins and remeasured the oil level - right at the second dip stick dot.

With the beauty cover on the bottom of the vehicle is is difficult to check for drips / leaks - but a top view with a light doesn't reveal any splatter and no noticeable oil burning smell from the engine bay after usage.

Current theory:

1) wonderful dealership under-filled the oil at last oil change.

Last edited:
You might want to check that oil is not leaking from the oil plug on the pan. There have been instances in which the dealer forgot to tighten it, or the crush washer 'broke'.

After leaving in one spot overnight, move the car and check the pavement for fresh oil...

I put in the full 5 quart jug and the oil level is ~ 1/8 inch down from the max level and I call it good. Any level between Min and max is safe. I check oil any time after a 10 minute shutdown when the vehicle is level. I use OEM or a WIX which does have the proper bypass setting. Ed

You might want to check that oil is not leaking from the oil plug on the pan. There have been instances in which the dealer forgot to tighten it, or the crush washer 'broke'.

GAXIBM said:
After leaving in one spot overnight, move the car and check the pavement for fresh oil...

CX5_Driver said:
With the beauty cover on the bottom of the vehicle is is difficult to check for drips / leaks

Car stays in one spot every night.. not a single drop on pavement.

Thanks for bumping this CX5_Driver. I also had the low oil level light appear today and knew what it meant based on reading this thread a couple hours earlier.

2019 GTR with 51k miles. Oil changed by me 5400 miles ago using Mazda filter PY8W-14-302 and a 5 quart jug of oil. It was about 1/4 inch above the lower hole on the dipstick and no noticeable change when I rechecked today before adding more oil.

I did not try restarting the car to see if the warning would go away without topping off the oil.

Today was one of the warmest days since I changed the oil at the end of March. Now that I am off cycle for using one entire 5 quart jug for each oil change I will set the oil level closer to the upper dipstick hole.

WIX make a filter specifically for the Skyactiv engine.

if you have the specific part number for the TURBO engine .. please share. For this discussion as indicated a OEM filter is being used.

CX5_Driver said:
Oil changed ~3000 miles ago by the local dealership using OEM correct filter PY8W-14-302 (and hopefully the correct amount of oil).

2 days later and no new warning light ; oil level seems to be holding steady.

Are you sure the warning light is for low oil? I think it is likely a low oil pressure indicator which low oil is only one of the possible problems...

Are you sure the warning light is for low oil? I think it is likely a low oil pressure indicator which low oil is only one of the possible problems...

@GAXIBM please check the picture I posted up there at post

then compare that to the owner's manual (page 4-25)

sfSP1OW.png

and page 7-33

n6aGwxm.png

oh and don't like the PDF? try the interactive version of the owner's manual here:

long story short.. yes this is oil LEVEL -- not oil PRESSURE warning symbol. As previously indicated the oil level was found to be at the first dip stick dot; then oil was added (3/4 quart) and found to be just below the 2nd dip stick dot.

sfSP1OW.png

and page 7-33

n6aGwxm.png

oh and don't like the PDF? try the interactive version of the owner's manual here:

long story short.. yes this is oil LEVEL -- not oil PRESSURE warning symbol. As previously indicated the oil level was found to be at the first dip stick dot; then oil was added (3/4 quart) and found to be just below the 2nd dip stick dot.
If you notice, some members answering your questions are based on their naturally aspirated 2.5L experience and many specs are different from your 2.5T turbo.

The oil capacity stated in the owner’s manual for 2.5L is 4.8 quarts with 0W-20 but for your 2.5T is 5.1 quarts with 5W-30. In reality most DIYers put 5 quarts for their 2.5L and the oil lever still can’t reach the Full or Max mark which is the upper hole on the dipstick. For 2.5L we need about 5.3 quarts to reach the Full or Max mark. Like 2.5L, I imagine you may need extra 0.5 quarts, up to total of 5.6 quarts to make the oil level to the Full or Max mark for the oil change. Since you did mention you used only 5 quarts for oil change, you may already short of 0.6 quarts to begin with. When your oil level is getting closer to the Add or Min mark, the lower hole on the dipstick, with some oil burning, it’s very likely the low oil level sensor got triggered with some shaking while the CX-5 is moving. You should try to pour more than 5.1 quarts of oil, ideally to make your oil level to the Full or Max mark after each oil change.

OEM PY8W-14-302、and 1WPY-14-302 oil filters are for 2.5T; OEM PE01-14-302A、1WPE-14-302、and PE01-14-302A-MV oil filters are for 2.5L. Wix 57002 is designed to meet the specs of PE01-14-302A for 2.5L, but not for PY8W-14-302 for 2.5T although the Wix would claim 57002 is compatible with 2.5T, like many other one-size-fit-all aftermarket oil filters.

@yrwei52 correct people are responding without reading (comprehending) the situation and the steps taken to troubleshoot and resolve the isssue. Thanks for the additional input.

Oh just a bit of clarification, I didnt state I only put in 5 quarts.. I said: "2019 GTR with ~ 22,000 miles on the odometer. Oil changed ~3000 miles ago by the local dealership using OEM correct filter PY8W-14-302 (and hopefully the correct amount of oil). "

However in my post here:

I do state they (the dealership) charged (stated) using 6 quarts of oil (a partial quart would be charge as a full quart).

So.. my working theory that they (the dealership) underfilled by .5 quarts (as you made mention to) might be on shaky ground.

Still no drips on the drive way and I don't see oil running out the beauty cover on the bottom nor do I smell any oil smell or see and oil splatter from the top. Recent check of oil level yesterday at the gas station and the oil level was still right at the same mark after I added ~3/4 quart,

@yrwei52 correct people are responding without reading (comprehending) the situation and the steps taken to troubleshoot and resolve the isssue. Thanks for the additional input.

Oh just a bit of clarification, I didnt state I only put in 5 quarts.. I said: "2019 GTR with ~ 22,000 miles on the odometer. Oil changed ~3000 miles ago by the local dealership using OEM correct filter PY8W-14-302 (and hopefully the correct amount of oil). "

However in my post here:

I do state they (the dealership) charged (stated) using 6 quarts of oil (a partial quart would be charge as a full quart).

So.. my working theory that they (the dealership) underfilled by .5 quarts (as you made mention to) might be on shaky ground.

Still no drips on the drive way and I don't see oil running out the beauty cover on the bottom nor do I smell any oil smell or see and oil splatter from the top. Recent check of oil level yesterday at the gas station and the oil level was still right at the same mark after I added ~3/4 quart,
Yeah I mixed motohanks‘ post with yours as he did the oil change with 5 quarts of oil.

If you added 0.75 quarts of oil and still can’t reach the Max mark which is the upper hole, your dealer definitely “under-filled” the oil at the beginning. I personally had a bad experience on oil change at a Toyota dealer for my 2018 Yaris iA as the first 2 years of maintenance is provided by Toyota USA. The oil plug developed slow leak while I drove the car from San Jose to LA right after the free maintenance. Luckily I checked the oil level in LA and found the oil was low for almost 3 quarts out of 4.5 quarts of total capacity!!! In my case I did see some oil spots on the ground which caused me to check the oil level. The dealer afterwards claimed the crush washer was cracked which is the culprit although I believe the cause must be due to loose plug. I actually appreciated the oil over-fill by the Toyota dealer which happens all the time from my previous experience. Otherwise I do believe the engine would be locked before I could arrive the LA. BTW, no Low Oil Pressure Warning Light illuminated before I added 3 quarts of fresh oil.

Don’t trust the dealer after the oil change. Check the oil level and reset the oil life monitor for yourself after each oil change by the dealer!

Thanks for bumping this CX5_Driver. I also had the low oil level light appear today

2019 GTR with 51k miles. Oil changed by me 5400 miles ago using Mazda filter PY8W-14-302 and a 5 quart jug of oil. It was about 1/4 inch above the lower hole on the dipstick and no noticeable change when I rechecked today before adding more oil.

sfSP1OW.png

and page 7-33

n6aGwxm.png

Yes, the manual indicates an oil level issue which is the only issue and owner can affect. However, how do you think they measure the oil level in a running engine that has the oil sloshing around from curves and start stops? I believe it is done by measuring the oil pressure. Where is the oil pressure light/gauge that is standard on other autos? Put an OBD Scanner on it and see what the oil pressure is when the light is on and off and I think you will see that the light responds to oil pressure.

Yes, the manual indicates an oil level issue which is the only issue and owner can affect. However, how do you think they measure the oil level in a running engine that has the oil sloshing around from curves and start stops? I believe it is done by measuring the oil pressure. Where is the oil pressure light/gauge that is standard on other autos? Put an OBD Scanner on it and see what the oil pressure is when the light is on and off and I think you will see that the light responds to oil pressure.

I think they use an oil level sensor: oil level sensor is part #PX0110470

As the oil level is now resolved by adding additional oil.. I will not have an opportunity currently to run an ODB scanner during operation of the warning light.

As far as what other auto use / do for oil level -- I am unsure, so I am focusing on items that relate to the Mazda CX-5 GTR for my troubleshooting efforts.

Back