Strange Issue (malfunction?) 2014 CX-5 Dash Lights

MitchM

:
2014 CX-5 Grand Touring
Hey friends,

Im having a strange issue with my CX-5 (2014). I have looked around online and found scattered info and experiences that may lead me to believe the issue can be as minor as a battery or sensor or as serious as transmission problems.

Randomly while driving, actually usually after coming to a stop or parking (while car still running), both the low traction and low tire pressure lights will come on. The low traction light Im referring to is the one with the image of a car skidding on an uneven road. That light will come on solid, and the tire pressure light will blink for 15 seconds or so and then stay on solid. Only those 2 lights, no CEL.

Randomly after driving or starting the car, those lights will disappear or reappear. I can drive an entire day without them, and then theyll randomly show up when I get home at the end of the day.

On top of that, to start the engine, the push-start button light will randomly NOT illuminate in green when the brake is pressed, and Ill have to repress the brake a few times until it does to get it to be green so that I can start the engine. This happens only when those dash lights are present- theyre clearly related somehow

Nothing changes with my ride feel or drive quality, thats what makes me think its some sensor or perhaps it is something important but not yet measurable through feeling it.

- I have a new car battery.
- I have a brand new Key Fob battery.

Any ideas?

I very much appreciate your responses!

Thanks,
- Mitch

I'm thinking maybe bad start switch?? There have been issues with these but I haven't researched the symptoms.

I also read about that and am going to check that out when I get home. But also, could that make those 2 dash lights misfire?

Thanks for your replies!

Strange issues make strange things happen, hard to give you a definite answer on the lights issue.

My tire pressure is correct- I still dont think that it would prevent it from starting

Also check the brake light switch.
correct! this is my vote too...

If you apply the brakes, and the car's ECU does not know that you pressed the brakes, (because of bad brake pedal switch) this will cause all of those issues.

correct! this is my vote too...

If you apply the brakes, and the car's ECU does not know that you pressed the brakes, (because of bad brake pedal switch) this will cause all of those issues.

Concur. I think there was another thread with someone having similar issue...

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses!
Does the bad brake pedal switch in question cause my brake lights not to activate while driving? Or is this a separate component? I just dont want to worry about safety or police because of brake lights until I sort out the issue .

Thanks for all the thoughtful responses!
Does the bad brake pedal switch in question cause my brake lights not to activate while driving? Or is this a separate component? I just don*t want to worry about safety or police because of brake lights until I sort out the issue .

Yes, if you have a bad brake light switch, your brake lights won't work. Do they work? If not, then it would be the suspect part, it's relatively inexpensive and really easy to change, can even be bought on Amazon.

My brake lights DO work. Could it still be the culprit? Perhaps if it malfunctions only once in a while..

You could change it out to see if it was the culprit, might even be able to take it out and spray contact cleaner in it. It'd be one of the easier things to try. Not much going on inside except some mechanical contact switching which might have started to pit or corrode. Could be a bad ground somewhere. How about the battery terminals themselves? No corrosion? On tight? Check the cables from the battery to the chassis ground, or any other ground cable for corrosion. I seem to remember someone having a bad ground in a fender well somewhere that was causing some weird problems. Sounds like an intermittent problem with something that's working its way loose or a connection that's starting to go bad. Maybe hook a scanner up to see if their are any impending codes.

Last edited:
Back