Steering Wheel Seek Switch question

I am a former driver of a 2017 CX5 GT AWD, now driving a new 2021 CX5 GT AWD. I am perplexed as to why the steering wheel seek switch toggles through favorite radio stations for AM and FM (like the previous model I had), but for SiriusXM, these buttons act as a rewind/fast forward control. I get the appeal of being able to rewind a show on satellite radio, but for practical purposes, I would much rather be able to toggle through my favorite Sirius channels using these steering wheel controls, like I can with AM/FM. Is there a setting I can change to address this? Or is this just an annoyance I will need to get used to now? Please advise. Any answers greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Also, in my 2017, I was able to combine AM, FM, and satellite favorites into one favorites list. For the 2021, it seems favorites are only able to be organized and accessed by specific input only. When I set up favorites, I had to set up a separate list for each individual input. I really liked being able to see all my favorites in one list and being able to press one button to go from a favorite FM station to a favorite AM station and then to a favorite Sirius station. Again, if there is some setting I am missing, please let me know. Thanks!

On my 2019 GT-R the Up/Down button on the steering wheel changes stations, going through all of my favorites in Sirius XM and then starts with my favorite AM stations. Reception of terrestrial radio where I live is very poor so most of the time I leave the radio on Sirius XM. And the FM stations play the most execrable music that I can't even listen to them.
I believe the issue you are experiencing may have something to do with which mode is displayed by the icons along the bottom on your touchscreen. Try using the command knob to move the highlighted icon to different functions like seek, favorites, etc and then see what the steering wheel control does.

Thanks for your comment, but the 21 has a somewhat different infotainment system. The screen is much larger and the Ui is slightly different. I was able to do exactly what you described in my 2017. But now, that only works for am/fm. For SiriusXM, the steering wheel seek controls fasf forward or rewind the satellite broadcast. They do not toggle the favorites up or down.

Are you referring to tapping the arrow buttons (above and below the info button) on the steering wheel? Just tapping them cycles through all my favorites, while holding down the button auto tunes the next station, which on Sirius will always be the next one. (I’m driving a 2019 MY). Is that not the case with a 2021? According to the 2021 manual that should work.

Just confirm if you are holding down the seek button or not (you shouldn’t be to cycle through favorites).

Last edited:
Unfortunately, that does not seem to be the case for the 2021 model year. Works as it should for AM and FM only. As I said, for Sirius, whether I lightly tap or press harder, it acts as a rewind or fast forward, not as a skip to the next or previous favorite station. In a way, it seems like a cool feature in that it lets you rewind a station on satellite radio, but for practical purposes, it is quite annoying.

I am having the same problem with my 2021 CX-5 and the dealer keeps telling me that the steering wheel forward/back buttons should scroll to the next station in favorites. Works for FM and AM favorites but not for XM favorites. I removed all FM and AM favorites to see if the steering wheel buttons would change the channel if there were only XM favorites but it just tries to rewind or advance within the currently playing station. Very annoying. Mazda removed the touch-screen capability for safety but is making the driver work way too hard to change a radio station.

I am having the same problem with my 2021 CX-5 and the dealer keeps telling me that the steering wheel forward/back buttons should scroll to the next station in favorites. Works for FM and AM favorites but not for XM favorites. I removed all FM and AM favorites to see if the steering wheel buttons would change the channel if there were only XM favorites but it just tries to rewind or advance within the currently playing station. Very annoying. Mazda removed the touch-screen capability for safety but is making the driver work way too hard to change a radio station.
Have you checked if its a configurable function?

No, I will have to research that. Thanks.
Did anyone find out if there is a configuration? I haven't found one. This is an awful upgrade to take away what features I most used. No reason what they would benefit from by inhibiting Sirius yet left AM/FM alone. Makes no sense. Hate the "upgrade".

The only work around I found for this is to Rotate the Commander Knob while listening to SiriusXM to pick another Favorite station, sucks but works. Can also do the same listening to FM or AM.

Did anyone find out if there is a configuration? I haven't found one. This is an awful upgrade to take away what features I most used. No reason what they would benefit from by inhibiting Sirius yet left AM/FM alone. Makes no sense. Hate the "upgrade".
Just bought my CX5 in November and have the same issue. Why would Mazda do this? The last 5-6 cars that I owned has or had this feature. Like you, I hate it and it absolutely makes no sense. The only thing I disagree with you is that it in NOT an Upgrade, its a DOWNGRADE. Thinking, I should have bought the 2022 Tucson.

Have you checked if its a configurable function?
My Salesperson told me the same thing that it works XM but it doesn't. Like you said, only works for AM and FM. Not happy about it.

According to the Mazda Connect Owner's Manual, you're supposed to be able to use the seek switches on the steering wheel or slide the commander knob left/right to cycle between radio stations that have been saved as Favorites. I don't have a 2021 so I can't test it myself, but if the manual says you can do it, and in actual practice you can't, then it must be some sort of software bug or oversight (or it is a misprint in the manual). In any event, contact your local dealer to make sure you have the most up to date version of the infotainment software. If it's up to date, contact Mazda Corporate to raise a ticket and complain. Mazda can't fix the problem if they don't know about it, so the more tickets they get, the more likely they are to address the issue.

Thanks for the response. I've read this previously and tried it and I couldn't get it to work. What is a DBA radio? Maybe I don't have one. After Christmas, I'll go the dealer/sales person to show me how it works, or get the update, I may not have.
Again, thanks
According to the Mazda Connect Owner's Manual, you're supposed to be able to use the seek switches on the steering wheel or slide the commander knob left/right to cycle between radio stations that have been saved as Favorites. I don't have a 2021 so I can't test it myself, but if the manual says you can do it, and in actual practice you can't, then it must be some sort of software bug or oversight (or it is a misprint in the manual). In any event, contact your local dealer to make sure you have the most up to date version of the infotainment software. If it's up to date, contact Mazda Corporate to raise a ticket and complain. Mazda can't fix the problem if they don't know about it, so the more tickets they get, the more likely they are to address the issue.

Thanks for the response. I've read this previously and tried it and I couldn't get it to work. What is a DBA radio? Maybe I don't have one. After Christmas, I'll go the dealer/sales person to show me how it works, or get the update, I may not have.
Again, thanks

Nah, DAB stands for Digital Audio Broadcasting, which I believe we don't have here in NA. It's used predominantly in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia.

According to the Mazda Connect Owner's Manual, you're supposed to be able to use the seek switches on the steering wheel or slide the commander knob left/right to cycle between radio stations that have been saved as Favorites.
It appears that the owners manual is either wrong, or the operation is different in Canada

On the above referenced link, ( http://www.mazda.ca/en/digital-owners-manual/2020/mazdaconnect/contents/32020200.html ) it very clearly indicates in both the description and the graphics by the knob ( << or >>) that the volume knob (4) moves side to side. My 2021, (US) doesn't move side to side nor have the same graphics as in the above link,

PXL_20211221_225313876.jpg

It appears that the owners manual is either wrong, or the operation is different in Canada

On the above referenced link, ( http://www.mazda.ca/en/digital-owners-manual/2020/mazdaconnect/contents/32020200.html ) it very clearly indicates in both the description and the graphics by the knob ( << or >>) that the volume knob (4) moves side to side. My 2021, (US) doesn't move side to side nor have the same graphics as in the above link,

View attachment 305814

Yeah this has been brought up before, hence the "supposed to be able" part and the recommendation to contact Mazda. The manual does say (Some Models), so maybe it applies to non CX-5s with the new infotainment. Maybe the Mazda3 and CX-30 only?

I noticed that the above link doesn't just reference Canada, but the 2020 (I have the 2021)

Untitled.jpg

I noticed that the above link doesn't just reference Canada, but the 2020 (I have the 2021)

View attachment 305817
Yeah this has been brought up before, hence the "supposed to be able" part and the recommendation to contact Mazda. The manual does say (Some Models), so maybe it applies to non CX-5s with the new infotainment. Maybe the Mazda3 and CX-30 only?
@sm1ke

That's a fair conclusion. The PDF version of the CX-5 2020 North American manual calls it a volume "dial", not "knob," there is no reference to side-to-side control, and it in fact does not move side-to-side in my vehicle.

Personally, I've become acclimated to using the Commander switch and volume dial to operate audio. I'm probably in the minority but I've come to like the way these controls work in conjunction with the touch screen. Consequently, as regards the OP, if I had Sirius I'd probably appreciate the additional functionality that came with the change to the steering wheel controls.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back