Steering Wheel Leather Cracking Solutions

I have a 2016 GT and my steering wheel is starting to peel at 80k miles on the car. I absolutely hate steering wheel covers from Amazon, Target, etc. I have been looking into getting the wheel itself replaced but keeping all the electronics. The wheel itself is $310-ish for the part. I have also seen on Amazon leather covers that are sewn on over top the steering wheel. I’m not sure if that is something I can do myself. I‘m not sure what the best solution is?

I'd try the Amazon leather covers that you sew on. The one that @MGMGT16 did (linked above) looks OEM. Maybe he can provide some tips.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) is the one I used. The instructions say to tuck it under the trim pieces on the steering wheel, but I didn’t like how that looked so I took the whole wheel off. Taking the steering wheel off was about 30 minutes and then it took about an hour to sew it on. Finished result:
4F5DC05F-4E24-43B3-9AC5-C341313E5CC8.jpeg

If you want to do the same thing, I can help with how to dismantle the steering wheel. I couldn’t find a guide online (doesn’t mean there isn’t one, I was just impatient) but this is my third steering wheel I’ve taken apart so I just kinda figured it out

I once had a local leather shop redo my leather steering wheel. It was a while ago so I can't remember the details, but the final result was pretty nice. And it wasn't an "auto" shop, just a leather shop that typically makes leather clothing. A full on custom leather wheel isn't a bad option. Something to consider.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) is the one I used. The instructions say to tuck it under the trim pieces on the steering wheel, but I didn’t like how that looked so I took the whole wheel off. Taking the steering wheel off was about 30 minutes and then it took about an hour to sew it on. Finished result:
View attachment 297871

If you want to do the same thing, I can help with how to dismantle the steering wheel. I couldn’t find a guide online (doesn’t mean there isn’t one, I was just impatient) but this is my third steering wheel I’ve taken apart so I just kinda figured it out
I don’t have any experience sewing, how difficult was it to sew on? I think I’m going to try this first before going to get it replaced.

I don’t have any experience sewing, how difficult was it to sew on? I think I’m going to try this first before going to get it replaced.
It’s a blunt needle and all you have to do is a loop from one side to the other. There’s quite a few videos on how to sew them on but the leather comes pre-stitched at the edges so you are essentially just connecting those stitches. I don’t have any hand sewing experience either and I did it.

It’s a blunt needle and all you have to do is a loop from one side to the other. There’s quite a few videos on how to sew them on but the leather comes pre-stitched at the edges so you are essentially just connecting those stitches. I don’t have any hand sewing experience either and I did it.

Thanks for this info @MGMGT16. I think I'm going to do this as well. I've got a few minor nicks and scratches on the wheel from my wife's nails/purse I'd like to cover up.

I had my wife sew on a $25 leather one from eBay. Came out great but now I've worn that out.

I have a 2015 but it's the same process. We didn't take the wheel off, took her about an hour.

I had my wife sew on a $25 leather one from eBay. Came out great but now I've worn that out.

I have a 2015 but it's the same process. We didn't take the wheel off, took her about an hour.

How long did that take? Do you know if it was real leather or "PU leather"? I'm looking at ordering one and just wanted to make sure I got the best quality available before spending hours sewing it on.

Back