Starting poorly

tomNZmazda

:
Mazda Familia 1.5
Have a Mazda Familia, in NZ, it's an import from Japan. Think it is otherwise known as a 323 or protege. And it has just over 300,000 kms on the clock.

Anyway, after a long drive a bit ago, sat in car with headlights on and flattened the battery. Got jumpstarted, since then hasn't started well. I have charged the battery overnight and it seemed to fix itself but I generally use the car for short journeys.

It's now not starting well again, you turn the key, hear clicking, then hear it cranking, which starts slow and gets faster, then engine eventually turns over. I can then turn the engine off and start it normally. Leave it overnight or for a while during day, and same problem.

Would like to know if it really is just that I have toasted the battery, or if something else might be contributing and how I can troubleshoot this? I.e. fuel pressure? spark plugs? other things?

An mp3 of the car starting should be attached, if it helps.

Thanks,

Attachments

• 18 Dec, 13.27.mp3
    149.5 KB · Views: 149
What model/year Familia?
Not enough CCA's by the sound of it. Get a new battery. And get a good one.
The alternator system on these cars are not really the best.

Yeah I took in to an AA garage today just to get the battery load tested, garage initially said it was ok, till I pointed out their load tester was still set to 6V and not 12V, then when tested again it only got so far as red in the dial. So yeah seems like the battery is cooked.

Interestingly, they pointed out the date of the battery - from 2010 - so 7 years, I'm just busy cringing at the price of a new battery.

My cheap old car is no longer cheap.

Oh, its a 1998 1.5, chassis is BJ5W

Last edited:
Back