2017~2024 Start/Stop on CX-5

:
2019 CX5 Reserve AWD
Anybody see or hear anything about Mazda's plans for this? I happened to cross in a pedestrian walkway in front of a CR-V the other day. The CR-V stopped and shut-down, as soon as the person pressed the gas to proceed I heard the engine restart. Sounded like a normal start where you press the start button. It didn't seem seamless. I'm just thinking if you need to floor it and get out of the way of something fast how is this thing going to react. It seemed like it took a least a second to restart.

I'm thinking if you have a whole line of cars in bumper-to-bumper traffic it's going to take forever to get somewhere. They would be constantly shutting down/restarting.

I guess the saving grace is you can disable it (how long before the govt mandates it can't be disabled) but you have to disable each time you start the car.

My wife's MDX has this. It does add a hesitation every time you pull away from a stop. On hers you have to disable it every time you get in the car, there's no way to switch it off for good. Pretty annoying.

if only you press brake soft, it will not shut-down.
So you’re saying if you press the brake lightly, your engine won’t be stopped even if you didn’t turn the i-stop off after you started the engine at beginning on your CX-5? Mazda’s i-stop is supposed to be a better stop / start system with the help of engine compression to re-start the engine. It’d take the shortest time to re-start the engine among the same systems.

So you’re saying if you press the brake lightly, your engine won’t be stopped even if you didn’t turn the i-stop off after you started the engine at beginning on your CX-5? Mazda’s i-stop is supposed to be a better stop / start system with the help of engine compression to re-start the engine. It’d take the shortest time to re-start the engine among the same systems.
Mazda doesn't use the starter to restart the engine. It uses compression to get it going.
It's faster, and it doesn't shorten the life of the starter. Better system.
I rented a Chevy Cruze when I was in Vegas in 2019, and it had start stop (using the starter).
There was no disable switch. It was awful.
I learned quickly though. If I came to a stop, I would have one foot on the brake and the other foot on the gas, just to prevent it from shutting off.
Never would I knowingly buy a car that has this feature.

FYI - There are start/stop disablers that you plug into your OBD port to permanently shut off that feature. They also make disablers to shut off cylinder deactivation, though not for Mazdas. If you have a Ford, Chevy, or Dodge, check them out. Below are links to two manufacturers of the devices.

I'm glad my 2020 have that feature :cool:
Are you mistaking this with radar cruise control with stop and go? My 21 signature engine doesn't shut off when coming to a stop. My f150 does and it is seemless. A lot of people disable it, but.i don't mind it.

I have i-stop in my 2015 CX-3 and it works like a charm (and still on the original battery).
With automatic transmission you can indeed control i-stop with the brake pedal.
And it does restart quickly when you release the brake pedal, it has the engine started by the time your foot has moved off the brake pedal to the gas pedal.

Are you mistaking this with radar cruise control with stop and go? My 21 signature engine doesn't shut off when coming to a stop. My f150 does and it is seemless. A lot of people disable it, but.i don't mind it.
The turbo engine does not have the stop/start feature.

He's not in the US, where we thankfully don't have it available.

Some people have put a resistor on the switch to disable it every time the car is started.
I would do a search on google,- the one I've seen was 90 ohm ...

The title of the thread should be changed to i-Stop.
I wonder why turbos don't have it?
I think everybody knows what we're talking about.
I don't think any US Mazda's have it.

Back