Speedracr79's Build Thread

I don't think I've posted here before, but definitely following. So don't lose motivation! haha.

No worries I won't I plan on finishing this build if anything just to prove a point to my wife. She always tells me I never finish anything and need to get rid of it and buy another car so that is my motivation. Plus if all works out next year I am boosting it then when my daughter is old enough I am giving it to her this way i know her first car will be a awesome car built by her dad that will be reliable and she will be the cool kid..lol

Time and money are always the 2 most common issues. If you have the time you don't have the money. If you have the money you don't have the time.

Regardless, keep pushing forward man!

That is so true but during the summer I will have a little of both I think I get 3 day weekends so i got a little time to spend in the garage here and there. next weekend I'm going to go in there and take everything out and re organize so i can make one half my woodshop the other half my garage. So just keep posted guys i will have something to post in due time

Small update still a slow work in progress but things are looking good. I have a new job which pays me a little more than before and just got a raise already so I will be buying some parts.

But a little good news once I begin the build up again she will be a little quicker than before I am in the works with a fellow member to buy his turbo kit and couldn't be happier. So things are looking up for now. I will update when any progress is made so keep posted.

It's been pretty hectic still getting caught up on Bills and haven't had much time to do anything which sucks, but I will have some updates hopefully soon. So stay tuned

Any updates to this?

I still remember when you sent me the "decals" to which I am eternally grateful for, by the way.

No still nothing but there's a new shop down the street from me it's a DIY place I'm gonna take it there and get started on it. They can help with anything I need help with plus they have all the tools needed for the job like a lift which will be a big help for under car mods.

Well the shop down the street didn't last to long and ended up moving elsewhere so no new updates on the Protege. But I do have some new news I kinda did a thing and well I am the new owner of a 2002 Red P5 Previously owned by a my buddy here in town and forum member SpicyorangeMSP. It needs a little TLC but it is now registered and my current daily till my kids get their license. So for now I am fully back in the Mazda game. In the Mean time I will be installing some of the parts I sourced for my previous protege onto the P5, not all the parts but a good chunk of them like coils, radiator, suspension, head unit, and a few other pieces. I will finally be paying off my wife's Subaru in October and will finally have a few bucks to spare to finally finish off my protege so I can roll in style with my kids. So not a update on my car like Id like but still an update nonetheless. I haven't given up on my baby so if anyone is still on this forum and still follows along then progress will be soon.

Not sure if any one is still on here or not but im gonna post it anyways April 2011 I pulled the motor and my baby sat for years. Well finally making some progress on getting her back on the road again. The block and crank are at the machine shop getting worked on, the head is also there they just will get to it next. So hopefully before the end of the year I should have it back up and running if all goes well or atleast on the way to being put back together.

The only thing thats slowing it down is I can't locate the pistons and rods. I can get new pistons but apparently finding a set of connecting rods for a 1.6 is a hard thing to find. Im sure ill be better of searching for Nessie or Jimmy Hoffa. Need to find a new photo source to post on here my photo bucket I cant get into anymore. So if anyone is still on here and if youre still interested or anyone new wants to follow along then feel free to.

Well some good news the block, crank and head have been picked up but it cost a pretty penny to do so rebuild kit will have to wait till next month.

So about 8yrs ago not sure if anyone remembers but corksport had a set of 1.5L J Spec camshafts for the 1.6, well of course I had to have a set so I bought a set. Well when we pulled the motor apart i wanted to see how the new cams fit. Well the intake didnt work because of the VVT in the 1.5. But the exhaust did. So after some work by the machine shop they got it all set up and it looks pretty seeing my baby come back to life after almost 10yrs of being covered in dust. Hears a teaser pic can't really see it but believe me it looks so perrty

So like I mentioned I misplaced my rods and pistons at some point. And with the help of my good friend Brian. We spent last Saturday at the yard ripping apart a motor to get a set of replacement set.

So thats all for now ill update more once we start piecing the engine back together and start making some more progress.

Attachments

• 20201116_161743.jpg
    20201116_161743.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 226
I'm still here, giving you a follow!
Sweet havent had any chance to make any progress yet. Did however drop the head off to my buddy Brian the block and crank are at his place were gonna assemble it there. I dont have any space in my garage due to my workshop taking up all the space my car isn't. Haha

Not actual progress on the build but I did however score a deal on a Complete set of AWR 95Duro mounts and AWR Trailing arms. So pretty stoked about that, trying to get my hands on a set of used coils for a decent price. But looks like ill have to drop the $$$ on a new set of coils. I really dont want to spend the money on a set of struts and springs

Yeah I know but for the price I couldnt pass them up, got both the trailing arms and the the set of mounts for $280 shipped. Eventually Im going to boost my P5 so when I do I'm going to pull the 70Duro mounts in the wagon and swap them to the sedan then install the 95 duro's in the wagon. The trailing arms are going into the sedan and in the wagon I have a set of the AAC adjustable link kit which will go in the wagon.

I know i know 😌 still no progress on revival of the sleeping beauty. But I however do have some pics I can share with the class of the Protege's younger brother if you would like to see them. A few glamor shots and some before and after.

Also who remembers the KMR BG about 10yrs ago. Yeah that long ago well I finally installed the lower tie bar but after looking at it. Think its going to be problematic with being so low. Im sure it'll rip right off on a good bump. But for now well see how it goes.

So my question to yall is do I start another build thread for my p5 or just tag onto this one 🤔 let me know what yall think.

Attachments

• 20201229_131807.jpg
    20201229_131807.jpg
    306.1 KB · Views: 217
  • 20201228_132027.jpg
    20201228_132027.jpg
    197 KB · Views: 206
  • 20201229_124458.jpg
    20201229_124458.jpg
    448.9 KB · Views: 202
  • 20201229_131825.jpg
    20201229_131825.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 201
  • 20201229_134423.jpg
    20201229_134423.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 211
  • 20201229_134631.jpg
    20201229_134631.jpg
    408.1 KB · Views: 203
  • 20201229_135625.jpg
    20201229_135625.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 207
  • 20201229_140808.jpg
    20201229_140808.jpg
    309.8 KB · Views: 205
Start a separate build thread. At some point, your updates will most likely confuse you as they run together. It'll surely confuse me lol. Looks good btw!

Start a separate build thread. At some point, your updates will most likely confuse you as they run together. It'll surely confuse me lol. Looks good btw!
Yeah I was leaning that way considering I've done more mods to the P5 than the sedan anyways...

How's this car doing? I'm gonna use a lot of the same parts tbh.
sorry for the late reply haven't had any progress yet but yesterday I received the engine rebuild kit just need a water and oil pump timing belt and a few other items then its install time. I can't wait to turn the key on this car and hear it run again cant believe its been 10yrs. I see people all the time oh im gonna build this im gonna build that but never do. I felt I was going to go down that path as well but I've been fortunate enough to evade my wifes attempts at getting rid of her. So I have to make sure I see this through and finish the build.

Back