Speedometer grayed-out?

Driving today, I looked down at the speedo and for some reason looked at the 160mph mark and noticed it looked grayed out. I looked at my current speed and saw it was lit up within a range of 40mph. Thought it was fluke so I took some shots at different speeds. Just got me thinking why, and I can only think they did this was so you can focus in on your speed easier while driving. Looks like it's a feature on the CX5 as well, but I figured some of y'all may not venture out to the different sub groups of this forum. But here's the link to the cx5 thread.. "Speedometer feature | Mazdas247" https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/speedometer-feature.123874037/

Attachments

• PhotoGrid_Plus_1618791481107.jpg
    PhotoGrid_Plus_1618791481107.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 166
Driving today, I looked down at the speedo and for some reason looked at the 160mph mark and noticed it looked grayed out. I looked at my current speed and saw it was lit up within a range of 40mph. Thought it was fluke so I took some shots at different speeds. Just got me thinking why, and I can only think they did this was so you can focus in on your speed easier while driving. Looks like it's a feature on the CX5 as well, but I figured some of y'all may not venture out to the different sub groups of this forum. But here's the link to the cx5 thread.. "Speedometer feature | Mazdas247" https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/index.php?threads/speedometer-feature.123874037/
My 6 does it as well. My guess is they all do (of the same vintage/software).

With more and more manufacturers replacing analog gauges with LCD screens, every brand has their own take on the graphics. I’ve seen some with a 3-D look and others that will change the font and color depending on the drive modes. Mazda’s more subtle approach here is to highlight the numbers around your speed which IMO helps you to quickly focus on the information. I bet if you went fast enough, that 160 would light up. 😛

It's my favourite option for the digital cluster on my old 2018 6 and my new cx5.

Volvo did something similar with their digital gauges back a few years ago...

1618931954925.png

Here's a thread on it in the CX-5 section:

Paid closer attention to this today because of this thread. Noticed it only does it in “partial speedo” mode. If it’s the full needle display, the numbers don’t grey out. Makes sense...In the partial mode the extra emphasis definitely helps.

Back