Speedometer feature

Today I finally remembered to check the speedometer while driving my seven-week old 2020 Signature and what do you know: my speedo was doing exactly as the OP described. I never noticed before and didn't know that was there until the OP let us know that it happened. Good eyes, OP!

The first time I drove a Mazda with this feature, I thought there was a problem with the instrument cluster before I realized it was intentional. :)

I found the following explanation
4B7EC13C-232F-4580-8B97-0D3EA2A1329F.png

I have never noticed the red speed limit mark, is this information supplied by the nav system?
The speed limit is displayed in the HUD if one has Nav as does my 2019 GTR. While the 2019 has the same gauge cluster setup as the 2020 & 2021, the speed limit sign to the right of the speedometer & the corresponding red speed limit marking in the speedometer do not display in my 2019, only the speed limit sign in the HUD.

Does anyone know if it's possible to get this info to display in the speedometer of a 2019 with Nav?

I have never noticed the red speed limit mark, is this information supplied by the nav system?
I believe the red line turns on when you're using cruise control. It tells you the speed the cruise control was set to. Comes in handy when you're using radar cruise.

I believe the red line turns on when you're using cruise control. It tells you the speed the cruise control was set to. Comes in handy when you're using radar cruise.
The red line indicates the speed limit.
The green line indicates the set speed of the cruise control when it is engaged.
The gray line indicates the set speed of the cruise control when it is disengaged.
The white line, of course, indicates your speed.

Last edited:
I just figured out why I could not see this effect in my CX-5. I use the speedo display with no other info except the status of the transmission like P, D, R etc. When I was driving today, I cycled thru the other speedo display options with the Info key and it turns out that every other display option shows this effect. It is not even subtle, but very obvious. The only display option that does not show the effect is the one I have always used.

Mystery solved for me.

I usually have the speedo display set to the compass and distance to empty and I've never seen the red line. Is that only on a different display option?
On my 2021 GTR, I didn't have the red line (or the speed limit on the dash and the heads-up display) until I installed an SD card in the nav system.

I usually have the speedo display set to the compass and distance to empty and I've never seen the red line. Is that only on a different display option?
I inquired about this a few posts earlier in this thread. It looks like these features only work in the 20 & 21 models. I inquired if it's possible to enable these features in my 2019 GTR as the gauges are configured the same. Our 2019 GTR's came with the SD card & Nav.

Back