Spare wheel in trunk 2019 CX-5

Anyone running a spare wheel in trunck (Doughnut or OEM )?

Had a flat tire yesterday and I totally forgot that I didnt have a spare...it was 18 degrees outside and didnt want to do the emergency flat tire repair,so had it towed to a shop.

Thinking of carrying a doughnut spare in the trunk for emergency purposes , so that I can drive to nearest shop .

Will a standard 17 inch spare tire fit in the trunck? How will the trunck space be affected?

I'm pretty sure the CX-5 has a spare under the cargo area floorboard. Check the online manual or look in the trunk.

Certainly the North America versions come with a spare in the trunk (doughnut) - maybe other countries don't?

Anyone running a spare wheel in trunck (Doughnut or OEM )?

Had a flat tire yesterday and I totally forgot that I didn*t have a spare...it was 18 degrees outside and didn*t want to do the emergency flat tire repair,so had it towed to a shop.

Thinking of carrying a doughnut spare in the trunk for emergency purposes , so that I can drive to nearest shop .

Will a standard 17 inch spare tire fit in the trunck? How will the trunck space be affected?

You forgot that you didn't have a spare? What happened to the spare that comes with the CX? As others have said, are you looking in the right place? Open the hatch and then pull up on the carpet nearest to the hatch opening. Better yet, read the manual.

Certainly the North America versions come with a spare in the trunk (doughnut) - maybe other countries don't?

I assumed that OP was in the US since he mentioned not wanting to do the emergency tire repair when it was 18 degrees outside. 18 Celsius is quite comfortable, so he must mean 18 Fahrenheit, which is below freezing temps. Still just an assumption on my part though.

In some countries, Mazda provides repair kits in place of spare tires.
No. I believe a full size tire won't fit in the spare-tire space.

In some countries, Mazda provides repair kits in place of spare tires.
No. I believe a full size tire won't fit in the spare-tire space.
Full-sized tire in recommended size will fit into the spare-tire well. But the full-sized tire is much wider, hence the trunk floor will have to be raised.

sorry for the late response...been out of town. Yes I did double check my trunk and its my mistake. Mazda did provide a compact donut spare . I read the online manual and assumed that they only provided a tire repair kit.

https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/08020200.html

I did end up towing the car to the dealership since I ve already drove the car about 20 miles after the TPMS came out....I had a 24x7 support and they fixed the tire in about an hour.

sorry for the late response...been out of town. Yes I did double check my trunk and its my mistake. Mazda did provide a compact donut spare . I read the online manual and assumed that they only provided a tire repair kit.

https://owners-manual.mazda.com/gen/en/cx-5/cx-5_8ft1ee17b/contents/08020200.html

I did end up towing the car to the dealership since I ve already drove the car about 20 miles after the TPMS came out....I had a 24x7 support and they fixed the tire in about an hour.
The owners manual you read is for UK CX-5 (Your vehicle is not equipped with a spare tyre.). Go to Mazda USA website and get a correct owners manual for your US CX-5:

Mazda Vehicle Brochures and Guides

>Full-sized tire in recommended size will *fit* into the spare-tire well. But the full-sized tire is much wider, hence the trunk floor will have to be raised.

Well, in my definition, that does not fit.

You can fit a narrow, but full height tire in the cavity without affecting how the cover sits. You can do 17" or 18". The CX-7 spare is an 18" that fits, but they are too old to use the rubber. I have a new 17" Mazda spare wheel so it has the right hub, spacing, and such and a Kumho T165/90R-17

+1 to murky@, full height tires fit fine, including the original 4 wheels/tires. It is the width which pushes the board up. A narrower tire on any 17/18" wheel would work. As mentioned in another thread and above: 17" wheel with T165/90R-17 fits perfectly and is almost the same size as other tires in terms of height and circumference.

You can fit a narrow, but full height tire in the cavity without affecting how the cover sits. You can do 17" or 18". The CX-7 spare is an 18" that fits, but they are too old to use the rubber. I have a new 17" Mazda spare wheel so it has the right hub, spacing, and such and a Kumho T165/90R-17

Would you mind measuring the diameter of the spare tire cavity in your CX-5? I'd like to see if I could fit that spare in my CX-9's spare tire cavity.

Sorry if slightly off-topic, but should my 2016.5 CX-5 GT (bought used from a dealer) have come with a tow hook accessory in the trunk alongside the donut spare? Looks like there are 2 spaces in the foam that may be for a tow hook and possible other accessory. I do have the jack, crank component, lug wrench.

TIA!

Sorry if slightly off-topic, but should my 2016.5 CX-5 GT (bought used from a dealer) have come with a tow hook accessory in the trunk alongside the donut spare? Looks like there are 2 spaces in the foam that may be for a tow hook and possible other accessory. I do have the jack, crank component, lug wrench.

TIA!

In most cases the answer to your question is no.

When we bought our new 2016.5 CX-5 it did not come with the tow eyelets. When we were doing the pre purchase inspection of the CX I saw that the eyelets were missing and I asked my salesman about this. He said that he would order a set for me and have them sent directly to my house, he did, no charge.

When we bought our used 2016 MX-5 it also did not come with the eyelets. I ordered one myself. The two eyelets in the set are not the same length, the front is longer than the rear. You only need the front eyelet as it will work for the back as well.

I think that I paid like $23 for the front eyelet. Here's the part # KD53-50-EJ1B.

Last edited:

TIA!

In most cases the answer to your question is no.

When we bought our new 2016.5 CX-5 it did not come with the tow eyelets. When we were doing the pre purchase inspection of the CX I saw that the eyelets were missing and I asked my salesman about this. He said that he would order a set for me and have them sent directly to my house, he did, no charge.

When we bought our used 2016 MX-5 it also did not come with the eyelets. I ordered one myself. The two eyelets in the set are not the same length, the front is longer than the rear. You only need the front eyelet as it will work for the back as well.

I think that I paid like $23 for the front eyelet. Here's the part # KD53-50-EJ1B.

Just to add some background - According to the Mazda rep I spoke with some time ago, dealers were instructed to remove the shipping eyelets from all 2014+ Mazdas. This was to prevent owners from using the shipping eyelets in recovery efforts, as the shipping eyelets could damage the vehicle if used in towing/recovery. It's a little confusing, but the shipping eyelets are indeed different from the towing eyelets.

Thanks, Conrad 16.5 and sm1ke!
I agree that the towing eyelet would be different than the shipping eyelet...in fact, the loaner 2019 I have today (nail in tire being serviced) has the shipping eyelet in the trunk, but the service guy confirms the towing eyelet is not included and a tow truck will usually have one available. Which won't help if I'm stuck and someone in a pickup or other comes by to assist!
I may have to order one just to have it handy.

Just to add some background - According to the Mazda rep I spoke with some time ago, dealers were instructed to remove the shipping eyelets from all 2014+ Mazdas. This was to prevent owners from using the shipping eyelets in recovery efforts, as the shipping eyelets could damage the vehicle if used in towing/recovery. It's a little confusing, but the shipping eyelets are indeed different from the towing eyelets.
Mazda manuals have changed over time in how they refer to the part. It used to make reference to towing and recover, and now is for shipping and not to be used as such. Maybe its because the bumpers are now painted, or maybe its something more structural.

I've lost the driver's side rear eyelet cover on my Soul Red Crystal 46V, and unfortunately they are not available for purchase already painted. They come unprimed, black plastic. The 1st gen they were in the black portion of the bumper. You can buy painted ones for the Mazda 6 from 3rd parties, so hopefully they'll eventually become available. Haven't seen one at a wrecker yet.

Back