Spare Tire PSI

:
Mazda CX-9 GT
Since I have a road trip coming up, I decided to measure the PSI of my spare. Turned out it was way lower than expected, 22 PSI. The door jamb and the sticker on the tire says it should be 60 PSI (which is pretty normal for any spare tires).

So, I will be getting inflated to 60PSI today. Not sure if its normal for it to loose almost 8 PSI per year. I think it is. This post is not for asking any question or seeking information, but more of a suggestion for everyone to check the spare air pressure in case you are stuck on a road and need to replace it.

Suggest to anyone that they check the air pressure in all five of their tires and they'll give you a funny look.....

A compact spare needs the 60 psi to carry the weight on that small tire. A regular size spare needs regular inflation pressure--pump it up to the max shown on the sidewall just to give yourself some margin.

It's been my experience the space saver spare 'donuts' lose quite a bit of air over time. If you carry stuff in the back of your vehicle it makes checking and filling the tire inconvenient and easy to overlook. Carrying a small air compressor has been my solution to this issue so I can fill the spare as needed if I need to use it.

Back