Sound insulation recomendations

tibimakai

San Dimas CA
:
USA
:
2014 CX-5 Touring
I have purchased a while back, some nice Focal component speakers(the flax one).
I'm thinking, that I should do a better installation, then just replacing the speakers.
I already have, a Infinity Primus component speaker set already in my car, in all four doors.
I was thinking, of putting some sound insulation in my doors, or maybe somewhere else as well.
I don't want to go overboard with this.
Any good ideas are welcome.
Which insulation, how much, where to place it, from where should I purchase it?
Another question that I have is, do I really need to buy the proper speaker installation mounting kit, or I could just install them, in the original speaker's place(I have cut out the original speaker)?
I'm planning to replace at this time, only the front door speakers.
The rears will stay, with the Infinity components.
Any input would be appreciated.
I was watching CAF on Youtube and I have watch a video from this guy, showing a 25% style insulation. Anybody has any experience with this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P03DFSXPwsc

Getting a good seal around the speaker is crucial to how good it's going to sound. Especially since the doors on the cx5 are sealed up pretty well and don't have large openings like you'd see in many other doors. Not sure if that varies from the bose to non bose systems or not. But assuming all the cx5's have the same sealed door panels, you will want to deaden the outer door skin, as well as putting some type of foam directly behind the speakers to absorb some of the rear wave. The amount of deadener you use is totally up to you and your time/budget. Second skin is a great brand that offers various sound deadening products. You can get large quantities of nvx sound deadener for very good prices on amazon. Whatever brand you choose, it's best to apply with a heat gun and roller. It does make a difference and is worth the effort in my opinion. Another alternative that I haven't tried yet, but plan to try is a spray foam from boom mat. You just spray where you need and it dries as a sound dampening foam. If you've ever seen a boom mat, that basically what it will look like once dry. I plan to use some on the back side of the door panel around the housing for the window and lock buttons. I still get vibration from that area on occasion. Also 25% coverage should be just fine unless you plan to push some serious power to your door speakers. And by that I mean 100+watts per side. If you are still using factory power, 25% coverage is good for deadening.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info.
The doors, are pretty sealed on the Touring as well. That is why, initially I did not want to insulate them.
I have seen some foam rings, that are pulled over the speaker's magnet. I believe that this CAF guy showed it, in one of his videos.
I'm a bit confused about the speaker mounts, that are available now. In the pictures, they look like they have openings on the side, which doesn't make sense to me.
For example, this one:
http://www.speaker-installation-photos.com/Mazda/CX-5/CX-5-1/i-gLz576V/A
I have an aftermarket system installed by myself. Kenwood DNN991HD, Polk Audio PA660.4 amd, Polk Audio PA880 for sub, 4 x Infinity Primus PR6500CS component speakers in all four doors, 2 x Polk Audio 3.5" in the dash and a 10" JL Audio shallow sub.
Most likely, I'm pushing around 80-85W on each door, since these speakers are 3 Ohm speakers.
My biggest issue is, the sun glass holder area rattle.
My other question is, how much insulation should I buy for each door?

tibimikai. Do you have any pics of your install? I'm looking at a Kenwood DDX9703S and JL Audio speakers. What trim plate did you go with for the deck?

Thanks for the info.
The doors, are pretty sealed on the Touring as well. That is why, initially I did not want to insulate them.
I have seen some foam rings, that are pulled over the speaker's magnet. I believe that this CAF guy showed it, in one of his videos.
I'm a bit confused about the speaker mounts, that are available now. In the pictures, they look like they have openings on the side, which doesn't make sense to me.
For example, this one:
http://www.speaker-installation-photos.com/Mazda/CX-5/CX-5-1/i-gLz576V/A
I have an aftermarket system installed by myself. Kenwood DNN991HD, Polk Audio PA660.4 amd, Polk Audio PA880 for sub, 4 x Infinity Primus PR6500CS component speakers in all four doors, 2 x Polk Audio 3.5" in the dash and a 10" JL Audio shallow sub.
Most likely, I'm pushing around 80-85W on each door, since these speakers are 3 Ohm speakers.

Thanks for that link! Some good info on that site.

tibimikai. Do you have any pics of your install? I'm looking at a Kenwood DDX9703S and JL Audio speakers. What trim plate did you go with for the deck?

To tell you the truth, I forgot what kind of install kit I have used, it's been a couple of years already.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Since the first picture, I have replaced that silver trim with one, that does not have that bottom silver part, only the other three sides.

Attachments

• 20150921_173025 - Copy.jpg
    20150921_173025 - Copy.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 713
  • 20150314_150721.jpg
    20150314_150721.jpg
    275 KB · Views: 717
Last edited:

Sunglasses holder is a huge problem. It took me about 4 tries, but ive succesfully got it to be quiet with no rattles. Open the sunglasses holder, and remove the 2 screws, and pop that little console out. Unplug everything and just get the console out. I applied pieces of sound deadener to the metal that the console attaches to. I also put little pieces of 1/4 inch thick foam anywhere I could fit it where metal was on metal, or plastic on metal, as well as gluing some foam to the back side of the console itself. After all that, I still had rattle. My last step, and the game changer was removing the metal clip that is right in the middle of that backside of the console. The plastic that the clip was attached to I covered with a strip of speaker gasket tape. Of course after adding deadener, foam, gasket tape, the screws to re attach the console would no longer catch. So I used A slightly longer screw and that did it. Finally no rattles from that damn console. I wish I had took pics to better show you. But hopefully that explanation is good enough.

I have purchased a while back, some nice Focal component speakers(the flax one).
I'm thinking, that I should do a better installation, then just replacing the speakers.
I already have, a Infinity Primus component speaker set already in my car, in all four doors.
I was thinking, of putting some sound insulation in my doors, or maybe somewhere else as well.
I don't want to go overboard with this.
Any good ideas are welcome.
Which insulation, how much, where to place it, from where should I purchase it?
Another question that I have is, do I really need to buy the proper speaker installation mounting kit, or I could just install them, in the original speaker's place(I have cut out the original speaker)?
I'm planning to replace at this time, only the front door speakers.
The rears will stay, with the Infinity components.
Any input would be appreciated.
I was watching CAF on Youtube and I have watch a video from this guy, showing a 25% style insulation. Anybody has any experience with this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P03DFSXPwsc

sound-proofing.jpg

Sealing speakers with foam based materials are the best option. For better noise damping warp the back of speaker with foam and fix it tightly using screw or glue.
styrofoam is having better noise suppression use Styrofoam variant.

To tell you the truth, I forgot what kind of install kit I have used, it's been a couple of years already.
attachment.php

attachment.php

Since the first picture, I have replaced that silver trim with one, that does not have that bottom silver part, only the other three sides.

VERY Nice! Thanks for sharing! it's giving me inspiration to keep hunting for a DDX9903 for my CX5. :)

I've never done sound unsulation before. Has anyone tried pulling the roof liner and doing that as well? it sounds pretty thin up there. :S

Sealing speakers with foam based materials are the best option. For better noise damping warp the back of speaker with foam and fix it tightly using screw or glue.
styrofoam is having better noise suppression use Styrofoam variant.

You are saying that sealing the speaker with foam, there is no need to use anything on the door surfaces? Sounds interesting. But if wrap the back of the speaker, it won't have the "housing" behind it, no?

VERY Nice! Thanks for sharing! it's giving me inspiration to keep hunting for a DDX9903 for my CX5. :)

Since then, I have replaced that silver trim, with one that does not have the bottom horizontal part, but to tell you the truth, it doesn't stick to well at the top corners.
My DNN (android based) is pretty slow to start. Not sure how is that DDX unit.

You are saying that sealing the speaker with foam, there is no need to use anything on the door surfaces? Sounds interesting. But if wrap the back of the speaker, it won't have the "housing" behind it, no?

It's hard to follow exactly what he's trying to say. But I'm thinking he's talking about the seal between the speaker and whatever you may be mounting it on. Thats usually going to be a mounting bracket or ring. Most speakers have some sort or gasket to create a seal. And if not, speaker gasket tape is designed exactly for that. Also foam baffles can create that seal as well. Then you have to seal the bracket/ring to the door, if there is not already a gasket in place. You can't just wrap a speaker in foam. And you would still want to dampen the door surface for best results

By housing, I mean a speaker box. Without a space behind the speaker, how the speaker will sound?

Back