Soul red touch up paint

:
2019 CX5 Touring/Preferred Pkg
Has anyone had any luck finding anything that closely matches the soul red? Some idiot decided to creep close into the rear bumper and scraped the paint off. I understand the paint used on the bumpers are softer so it has some ability to flex but looking for some ideas here to cover this up.
Attached some photos below 30BEB9DD-CBAA-4B1A-9781-6073572BC806.jpegED094D95-897F-4ABF-AC5D-2C549A4016F1.jpeg686FAF1F-56A3-4CF3-AADA-EC59E62BAE70.jpeg

Don't forget that "Soul Red" is not enough info. The earlier cars were "Soul Red Metallic" (code 41V). The later cars (yours) are "Soul Red Crystal" (I believe) with a different color code and a lot more complex paint.

Go to to your dealer or somewhere like automotivetouchup.com - they sell touch up pens and rattle cans for any car/color.

After doing some research on paint to touch up some rock ships on my Soul Red 2019 GT-R, I decided to purchase the two part Automotive Touchup paint from Microfinish,com. The color code is 46V. The older Soul Red was 41V which will not match the 2nd Gen Soul Red.

There are two bottles that come with the order, a base coat and a top coat (Step 1 and Step 2). I also ordered the separately available clear coat. I have not yet had a chance to actually use it because of winter weather here, so I cannot report on how well it matches the original paint.

Customer reviews on the site are positive. I don't think any single layer paint will do justice to the multi-layered Soul Red, so I'm hoping we can at least get close with this product.

Last edited:
thank you, I cannot decide if I should order the pen or a half ounce bottle.
as for the clearcoat, since it is on the bumper and a very small area (the size of a large ant) don’t think it is necessary.
it still bothers me, I may look into getting something that prevents idiots from touching either bumpers.

After doing some research on paint to touch up some rock ships on my Soul Red 2019 GT-R, I decided to purchase the two part Automotive Touchup paint from Microfinish,com. The color code is 46V. The older Soul Red was 41V which will not match the 2nd Gen Soul Red.

There are two bottles that come with the order, a base coat and a top coat (Step 1 and Step 2). I also ordered the separately available clear coat. I have not yet had a chance to actually use it because of winter weather here, so I cannot report on how well it matches the original paint.

Customer reviews on the site are positive. I don't think any single layer paint will do justice to the multi-layered Soul Red, so I'm hoping we can at least get close with this product.

Thanks for calling this out. I think I’m going to purchase from microfinish.com. Their website says they closely match the factory color and comes with the ground base and the actual color. Hopefully it should make it look a lot better.
Don't forget that "Soul Red" is not enough info. The earlier cars were "Soul Red Metallic" (code 41V). The later cars (yours) are "Soul Red Crystal" (I believe) with a different color code and a lot more complex paint.

Go to to your dealer or somewhere like automotivetouchup.com - they sell touch up pens and rattle cans for any car/color.

I have noticed that I am getting a few paint chips on my 2019 Soul Red CX 5. Did you have any luck with the color matching with the microfinish kit?

It's not easy to fix clear coat finish. The body guy told me they would completely strip and sand the whole door and remove the window so they get every bit.

I found some fat foam bumper pads on walmart but they arr 'out of stock'.
I think they would be good.

I use Dr. Colorchip and it works pretty good for the most part. On the hood the color is almost perfect and it's hard to see the chips. On the door though the color seems to be brighter and they stand out more. Not sure how that works, maybe the angle changes how it looks.

I like the foam bumper idea :)

Unfortunately, my experience using Dr. Colorchip (soul red crystal, 46V) wasn't as good as others. It was an ok match for very very small chips (road rash type chips) however, when used to treat larger chips on the hood that were more visible the match wasn't close. Note, Dr. Colorchip does note on their website that it isn't a total match. I would say it isn't even close. The match for other colours may be good, and the process to apply and obtain a smooth paint fix works great but, for the soul red crystal I wouldn't purchase it again. I may try Chipfixx (Canadian supplier) to see if they have a better match.

Wade

@rockethead26 @Whiter0se Any luck with the Microfinish touch up paint + clearcoat? I'm considering ordering some, but I don't know if I should go with that or the Dr. Colorchip.

My 2017 CX-5 GT has probably ~30 chips on the hood :c

Edit: Soul Red Crystal Metallic... Wish it wasn't chipping away at my soul.

@rockethead26 @Whiter0se Any luck with the Microfinish touch up paint + clearcoat? I'm considering ordering some, but I don't know if I should go with that or the Dr. Colorchip.

I haven't yet attempted to do a touchup yet. No excuses, I just keep putting it off. I need to do it before going on a road trip in October. I have all of the stuff that I need to do the job, it just scares me a bit as I have never done something so complicated to the paint job of a new car before.

I haven’t tried yet neither. The car is a lease and I’m not too worried about the chips on the hood as much as I’m worried about the paint on the rear bumper when assholes like playing bumper cars when parallel parking.

Thankfully I’ve haven’t had that many visible or big chips, there are some on the front bumper where the rocks have glazed the bumper and left a gash.

Just ordered the soul red crystal metallic from microfinish, thanks for the tip guys. I'll try to remember to provide an update with how it works in a week or two when it arrives.

Just ordered the soul red crystal metallic from microfinish, thanks for the tip guys. I'll try to remember to provide an update with how it works in a week or two when it arrives.
Hey, have you had a chance to try out the touch up paint yet? Any photos? Thanks

Hey, have you had a chance to try out the touch up paint yet? Any photos? Thanks
Still haven't received it, when I placed the order the website stated that it could take 2-3 weeks due to covid and the process of mixing custom paints.

Bump. Trying to get opinions from anyone that tried more than once touch up kit for Soul Crystal Red (46V) to see if one matches better than the other. Due to the 3-layer process unique to the Red (and white) it seems no kit will match perfectly mainly due to the last tinted clear coat (instead of pure clear), but I've yet to find any owners that have compared more than one. Strangely, the OEM touch up gets consistently bad reviews but I have been able to ascertain if that's from an application/finish results, or from a color match perspective, or both (probably).

I have used just the Dr. Colorchip. It's good from 10 feet away. I don't think its possible to match the Mazda paint with a touch up process. I doubt there is something better for amateur chip touch up.

I did a few on my hood and quarter panel, plus some scratches on my hatch from the garage door J-arm extension :(

From memory it did better on the chips than the deep scratches. I didn't have the patience to try and perfectly level the chips once I realized the "color" wouldn't be a perfect match anyway.

Color is in quotes, because it is more than just color. The Mazda paint looks different from different angles and lighting because it is a 3 dimensional build up with different layers doing different things. You can't get that exact effect, especially blended at the seams, with one substance.

Any word on results on the Microfinish 2-coat? Someone (maybe I'll do it) needs to buy like the factory pen, Dr. Colorchip, and Microfinish and do a comparison and take photos.

Back